PDA

View Full Version : laugh of the year....

bubba
March 22nd, 2017, 11:34 PM
After the disastrous yesterday at the Metcalf house, I went to Walmart and bought Muscle Milk and I also bought some high protein white chocolate macadamia cookies. If you did not know, all he ate yesterday was half a scrambled egg and pain pills, then he gets cranky and complains he feels sick....gee, I wonder why!

Last night he wanted Five Guys fries for dinner, and I guess he did manage to eat four or five of them, but that was it for the day in addition to half the egg. Earlier today, he had a bowl of the barley soup I made the other day and for dinner he asked for some fries and a container of the muscle milk. I shook it, opened it, smelled it and gave it to him. It really smells good!

:note to self-: if I ever give MM muscle milk again, have camera filming his reaction because I would win on the funny video show...grand prize of $100,000!!! He took a sip, his eyebrows flew off the top of his forehead and the look on his face was priceless!! I thought I was going to wet myself. I laughed so hard, and still am, that I had tears running down my cheeks (better than my legs!) and now it has riled up my cold of last week and I can't stop coughing....oh and laughing!

It made his crankiness of yesterday worth it!

* please note, the contributing author of this post did take several swallows and it is not nearly as bad as he made it out to be....kind of reminded me of Baileys, until it settled in my stomach. It was better than the Ensure.

K. McEuen
March 22nd, 2017, 11:46 PM
But the big question is did he like it? And what kind did you get?

bubba
March 22nd, 2017, 11:47 PM
But the big question is did he like it? And what kind did you get?

It was chocolate, and NO....he did not like it! He told me just because he is in a hospital bed does not mean he is a lab rat!

K. McEuen
March 22nd, 2017, 11:49 PM
Well crap, guess my friend has bad taste buds. But at least you got a laugh out of it. You might just end up having to make him some milkshakes with some protein powder that you sneak in to them.

Hulamoon
March 22nd, 2017, 11:54 PM
Or sneak some protein powder in and put into a McDonalds cup.

Snip Snip
March 23rd, 2017, 12:32 AM
Can you make him milkshakes using real milk and egg beaters? Maybe with peanut butter? That's natural protein, and would probably taste better than the whey protein and chemicals in the ensure type stuff.

bubba
March 23rd, 2017, 12:45 AM
Can you make him milkshakes using real milk and egg beaters? Maybe with peanut butter? That's natural protein, and would probably taste better than the whey protein and chemicals in the ensure type stuff.

I guarantee that would never pass his lips!

stationarymom
March 23rd, 2017, 01:08 AM
My Dd found me butter pecan ensure,I think that one tasted better than the other flavors I had to drink.

TMP
March 23rd, 2017, 04:21 AM
Bubba, you just kill me that is so funny. Better look out if your ever sick, no telling what you might get to drink.

Star lover
March 23rd, 2017, 07:27 AM
Now if you could only have Mr. hot pants run by while your DH takes a swig ..... thanks for the laugh. You painted a great picture. Hope today goes better for you .... and a view of hot pants wouldn't hurt!

Monique
March 23rd, 2017, 08:52 AM
Yes, thanks for the laugh. If he is not going to eat, they will put him back in the hospital, you can use that as a threat maybe?

JCY
March 23rd, 2017, 09:01 AM
Will he drink either Ensure or Boost? What about some homemade smoothies with powdered protein, fruit, even some ice cream. I make smoothies for myself with Natures Plus Spiru-Tein High Protein Energy Meal powder. I get it at Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers. They have several different flavors. I make mine with soy milk, but you could use reg. milk. I add a banana. Sometimes blackberries or peaches, depending on the flavor of the powder. I make a qt. at a time & keep it in the frig. He needs protein & nutrition for wound healing. How many fluids are you getting in him during the day? If he gets dehydrated, he might need IVs again. I hope you have better luck getting him to eat & drink.

Sandy Navas
March 23rd, 2017, 09:59 AM
Answer the phone, will you? It's Hollywood calling! They are looking for new comedy writers.

No suggestions, but do remember Nurse Ratchet.

EnumclawGramma
March 23rd, 2017, 11:17 AM
My experience with Ensure is that it tastes better really cold. Over ice, maybe crushed ice? Blended in a shake? With a straw, because then you can get the taste past your tongue more easily. (straw goes towards the back of your throat).

CraftySweetPeas
March 23rd, 2017, 12:08 PM
I'm with MM....they are icky! My DH drinks one every morning. But, they gave to start cold. He takes it out if the fridge and may not finish it for two or even three hours (gag me!) later. Me? - I can't even stand to try another DROPLET like I did months ago, when he told me, "they're really not that bad...". Yeah, they are, IMHO.

shirleyknot
March 23rd, 2017, 01:15 PM
rich chicken or beef stock served with a few crackers would be more appealing. He will get hungry when his stomach gets re-adjusted to food.

bubba
March 23rd, 2017, 01:45 PM
A couple nights ago, I called urgent care and spoke to the nurse. By the time I was taken off hold, I had diagnosed the problem and she agreed with me....not enough fluids. Since then, two days now, I have been keeping track of the fluids he takes in and both days he hit the magical 64 ounces. I have told him if he does not start eating and drinking properly, he was going to be back in the hospital.

kaydee
March 23rd, 2017, 02:22 PM
Yup, they'll hook him up to an IV to get those fluids in.

Maybe try some Pedialyte or Gatorade for the mineral stuff. Then give Mr. Sweet Tooth an ice cream shake with the protein powder. Then maybe bribe him with a little treat of his first love - Pepsi (in tiny quantities)??

I agree with the straw to the back of the throat. It makes it so much easier to get awful stuff down quickly.

I sure wish you had gotten that on video. Sounds like it was very funny. He probably would've won! Keep it in mind for next time!

TMP
March 23rd, 2017, 04:58 PM
Is there a certain food that he just loves? Even if its not the most healthy thing fix that so maybe it might help him get his appetite back. I don't know if the doctor might have him on a special diet but some kind of comfort food that he can pass up. Something that makes the house smell good. Like bacon or ham baking in the oven. My mom got to where she wouldn't eat and she got so tiny. She wanted ribs and BQ.

shirleyknot
March 23rd, 2017, 05:17 PM
My mom wanted pudding. Plain old vanilla pudding. At least it had a little protein from the milk.

auntiemern
March 23rd, 2017, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the laugh. I needed it today. I am all for trying the shake thing. Get him to eat however you can. Maybe his favorite soup. Have to agree with Libby about the straw. It really does work...I had to do that last week for something that I find gawd awful. Keep us informed.

bubba
March 23rd, 2017, 10:07 PM
He is doing much better today. I however, after my laughing from last night, have been coughing up a storm and am real tired. Took a nice long nap this afternoon and he got himself up and heated up some of the barley soup and had two biscuits to go with it! This morning, he ate fruit cocktail and drank one of the Carnation drinks. He tried to cookies I got him...no Bueno.

For dinner, I am making fried chicken strips, potatoes and gravy w/a vegie side. I know he will eat that!