PDA

View Full Version : My mother lied to me!

SallyO'Sews
March 21st, 2017, 11:14 AM
Beth's comment about telling her child that the beef pot roast she had served for dinner was just the dark meat from a chicken reminded me of something my mother told me as a child.

Mom was always very concerned about her weight and that of her children, so she weaned all of us from the breast directly to skim milk (I know, little ones need whole milk, but it was the 1950s...). My dad hated skim milk, but it was the only kind she would have in the house, so he drank chocolate milk at dinner (she either put Hershey's syrup or Nesquik in the skim milk).

We were told that Daddy was allergic to skim milk, and that was why he had to have chocolate milk.

One day in college someone was talking about how much they hated skim milk. I was nodding in agreement, when I suddenly realized that my mother had lied to me all those years ago! I'm not sure whether I was more amazed that she had lied with such impunity, or that I had swallowed it hook, line, and sinker... :icon_rolleyes:

What have you told your children about food that wasn't quite true, so they would eat?

Caroline T.
March 21st, 2017, 11:29 AM
My step-mother use to subsitute powdered milk for the real thing, thinking we wouldn't know the difference...NOT!

I don't recall telling my son any lies to get him to eat something, got enough of that from my mother and wasn't going to do it to my son.

One of mom's woppers was, she told us we were having hamburgers for dinner. We each took one bite, and about gagged at the taste. We told her the meat was spoiled. That's when she told us it wasn't beef, it was ground venison (which at that point I had never had venison before). It was years before I was willing to try venison again, and knowing what I was eating, expected it to taste different so ended up enjoying very much, and love it still to this day.

Sorry Mom, love you dearly, but venison does not taste like beef and gator does not taste like chicken!

Star lover
March 21st, 2017, 11:42 AM
My mom took my brother to the docs - his breast bones was sticking out. Doc said he just needs food . ....
well my mom from day one till I left home, fixed our plates. Didn't matter if you were starving, you got your portion. She was cheap (she said poor) and cause doc said my brother needed to eat, he got part of ours. It took some time before I realized that we had $, but she didn't want to spend it. With 4 growing kids, we could eat. We had powered milk (absolutely horrid), etc.
She has since changed, but she lied then to keep hold of more $. In her defense her father told her that if she had been born a boy, she would be worth something. As it was, she was worthless to him - monster! So she fed boy!

DeniseSm
March 21st, 2017, 12:11 PM
Almost all parents lie to their children. Santa claus, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy. It was quite a shock to me. Part of growing up is learning to deal with these ambiguities in life.

EnumclawGramma
March 21st, 2017, 12:18 PM
I fed my kids liver and onions, and when asked I told them it was "fried meat" thinking they would eat it if they didn't have the "liver stigma" attached. They devoured it, until I fessed up. Except for the oldest. He had the other two scrape their plates on to his and finished it all.

My mom fed us rabbit once, saying it was chicken. I thought it tasted off, and asked several times if the seasoning was different than her norm. When we were finished and she told us the truth, I was devastated! Bunnies! Little Bunny Rabbits!!! I became a vegetarian for the next 6 months. (that's the commitment level of a 13 year old!)

Carolnnc
March 21st, 2017, 12:28 PM
This was around the time McDonald's came out with chicken nuggets. When the kids were growing up I'd sometimes fix myself something I liked and make something else for DH (the very picky eater) and the kids. I cooked fried chicken one night and fried myself a batch of chicken gizzards. One of the kids asked what the gizzards were and I said they were chicken nuggets. They ate half the batch and loved them.

mischiefkat
March 21st, 2017, 12:49 PM
When I was very little, my father worked 3-11. So my mother cooked supper for my grandpa who lived next door to us, and the three of ate supper together. So one evening after my mother fixed my plate, I took a bit of the meat. I certainly didn't like the taste,so I asked for some ketchup. The second bite was no better than the first so I said "What the h--l is this stuff" My mother started laughing, grandpa just kept eating his liver & onions. Kathy

bakermom
March 21st, 2017, 12:50 PM
Hmmmmm, does keeping a name brand cereal box and refilling it with store brand cereal count as a lie??
while we didn't use powdered milk for drinking exactly, I did keep it on hand. I would add some to the remaining milk to stretch it out if we were running short. I found that if I mixed it in when I came home it the morning from work they didn't notice it as much when they used it later. Well, at least that was what I thought at the time. I have since been corrected:lol:by my children!

threadbndr
March 21st, 2017, 01:03 PM
Brussell Sprouts became "baby cabbages". That one was actually successful - and more or less true LOL.

TXgirlinUK
March 21st, 2017, 01:14 PM
My mom did the powdered milk in a regular half-gallon milk bottle trick. I remember the day I realized that our 'fresh' milk was over a year past it's expiration date, because she just washed the bottle while we were at school.
She also refilled our trendy brand-name shampoo and conditioner bottles with cheap generic brands too.
Having gone from two incomes to one and adding another DD to the family, I get it now.

bubba
March 21st, 2017, 02:00 PM
I sat here thinking and nothing came to mind that I lied to our kids about when it came to food. They had to try it, but they didn't have to eat it.

Then I got to what someone wrote, and remembered we did 'lie' to Tyler when we had custody of him. When he was little, fish were his friends. If he wanted to know what was for dinner and it was fish, I always called it by it's name....salmon, halibut, tuna, etc. Well, one day he and I went to my in-laws when he was about four years old. They had been down to a fishing boat that was selling fresh tuna for $3 a fish and had two of them on the kitchen table. Tyler was shocked there were fish on the table and not in some water and asked MM's dad what that was.....before I could stop him, he blurted out it was tuna. The look on my boys face was like we had done the worse thing ever to him in his young life. He did not eat tuna again for several years. If I told him we were having salmon, he would say he was not eating it because it was fish.

MM and I like beer battered Halibut and have it a couple times a month for dinner. Tyler loved it. We took to calling it white meat so he did not figure out it was halibut, ie fish and we still call it that to this day.

Monique
March 21st, 2017, 02:43 PM
Philip was a picky eater. Would eat chicken but wouldn't eat turkey. So turkey became chicken.

CraftyJnet
March 21st, 2017, 03:24 PM
My mother told me the bread crust was where the vitamins were. I don't remember her lying to me about food, but she made me eat it. The worst thing was cod liver oil - I still remember the taste.

Hulamoon
March 21st, 2017, 03:39 PM
The only thing my mom and mostly my stepdad did was make me sit in the kitchen and eat everything, and no drinks allowed, not even water. So I never did anything to my kids involving food.

Iris Girl
March 21st, 2017, 03:39 PM
My mom never lied to me about food. It was only the 2 of us and she pretty much made what she knew I would eat. I can't think of anything I ever lied to my kids about either. Being raised by a single parent I was always made aware of how much we had to spend . I also did this with my kids , because I wanted them to realize how much things cost.
My mother in law on the other hand never kept fresh milk in the house and the first time I got pregnant and we went there for dinner she mixed powered milk...not quite well enough because it was still powder in the bottom. I had to choke it down so as not to insult her. My mom was a baker and in our house powdered milk was for baking, not drinking. Milk was what was served with dinner and still is. My family are big milk drinkers we go thru 4 sometimes 5 gallons a week for 4 adults. I always told my kids I would never deny them books or milk LOL

jjkaiser
March 21st, 2017, 04:04 PM
Well we were told mock chicken legs was chicken. The kids always called it mop chicken. I still to this day do not know if it is really chicken or not! Mom also served meat called smoked butt, well you can imagine the giggling and the jokes over that with 5 kids in the family. She claimed it was just ham. I never served it to my kids, although it made for a good threat if they didn't eat what I made!

amartin24
March 21st, 2017, 04:13 PM
I don't remember my Mom ever lying to me about food. It never seemed to be an issue - we usually ate whatever she made and we liked it. I did try to "trick" my one daughter into eating "mashed potatoes". She really liked them....until we told her it was mashed cauliflower. Should've never opened my mouth!

Carlie Wolf
March 21st, 2017, 05:42 PM
Once every ten years or so I have a yearning for beef and kidney pie. I knew my daughter wouldn't accept that so when she asked I told her to guess and I'd tell her. She guessed a few things and then said beef and articokes. I said Yes!!! She ate it and it was never brought up again.

Eian Mcneely
March 22nd, 2017, 03:21 AM
Yes! It depends sometimes they are satisfied other times they resist….it’s part of learning as they grow they learn these trade secrets.

redcaboose1717
March 22nd, 2017, 07:02 AM
My mom was forced to eat a lot of things as a child, she wasn't allowed to put ketchup or other flavorings on food to mask the taste of things she didn't like. So, when we were young we were told we had to "try" new foods,but were never made to eat anything. I think this is why I like everything but Liver (although I am told I make the best liver ever ! I usually always try it when I make it.) & Rutabagas. My DH Terry was a picky eater those first few years we were married and it bugged me that he always ate whatever I put on the table. He had to eat whatever his mom put on the dinner table as well, so I really think that this had a lot to do with his dislike for so many things early in our marriage.

When my husband was off work and we were waiting for his social security disability to be approved, I cut quite a few corners. I began to mix powdered milk with 1/2 of the gallon of milk, and the kids didn't notice.....or so I thought. One day while they were eating cereal for breakfast, the gallon of milk was on the table,( I was taking cupcakes out of the oven and my back was turned away from the kitchen table and I forgot that I set the milk jug on the table. Normally I always poured the milk into a pitcher and set it on the table for the kids to use.) and suddenly my youngest son ( our 4th child wasn't born until 7 years later.) cried out "YUCK....GROSS.....!!!" I turned around and said to him "Travis, come on, there's nothing wrong with the cereal or the milk, both things are fresh " To which is replied " Oh yeah ? Fresh ? Then how do you explain the expiration date on this milk jug Mom.....the date is May 10th , and today is my birthday, July 8th ! ???
I laughed until I cried....he was sooo serious. We have laughed about that a few times, especially now that the kids are parents themselves and they all have had to cut corners a time or two but they all swore to me that they would never feed their kids powdered milk, ever !

Another cute story is something my sister did when her three boys were very young ( under 8 yrs old ) She cooked liver for dinner and cut the liver into long 1 1/2 wide inch strips about 3-4 inches long. When the boys told my sister that the meat was delicious, they asked her what it was. Not missing a beat she replied " It's rattle snake steak "......The boys all raved about it, and cleaned their plates. One day, one of the boys' teachers called and asked my sister why my nephew was so sure that the meat they had the night before was rattle snake, and my sister confessed to the teacher that the meat was actually liver and told her how she cut it into long strips. The teacher really got a kick out of that, and she told my sister that she would never admit truth to my nephew. Those boys believed that story until they went away to college.

true4uca
March 22nd, 2017, 02:00 PM
I once told my son parsnips were albino carrots, at the time albino was his new word.

Angelia
March 22nd, 2017, 06:35 PM
My husband told his kids that duck was "a very long" chicken.

RockinLou
March 24th, 2017, 03:36 PM
My son is extremely picky... There are times we tell him that things are cheese, or have no taste, and ask him to try them. However, we never force him to eat. He's figuring it out though and finally coming around to trying new things as he approaches age six.

Our 8 year old has been told that steak is just hamburger before it got mushed up, she tried steak and loved it and will now eat steak. I think that was a twist on reality more than a blatant lie.

I don't remember my mom lying to me about food, and she wasn't one to fight a battle either if we didn't like something. She'd had it too rough as a kid herself.

I am surprised by all the powdered milk, we never drank much milk growing up, and my daughter will only drink it with Oreos. I'm okay with that, she gets plenty of vitamins and calcium from other sources. My son gets a glass of milk, but not until after he has eaten five bites of every food on his plate, or he would just drink milk 24/7 because he feels full from it.

Snip Snip
March 24th, 2017, 09:06 PM
My mom served powdered milk, too, when I was a little kid. It's only palatable if it's really cold. I think it was cheaper than regular milk, and of course it didn't spoil, so there were some benefits to it, I guess.

My mom tried making us clean our plates, no matter what, till the time my brother was made to sit at the table and finish his liver, which he absolutely hated. After a lot of crying and whining, he finally choked it down, then promptly threw it all back up right on the table.

snippet
March 24th, 2017, 09:32 PM
My sister hated onions. She spent more time picking though her food looking for onions that her food got cold and she then wouldn't eat it. So mom got smart and started chopping the onions in teeny tiny pieces that my sister couldn't find. She then told her she quit using onions for her.

My grandpa would not eat leftovers. So grandma would take the leftovers to one of her sisters, who would keep it for a day and then bring it back to grandma's saying she just made it. Grandpa ate it up without ever knowing the difference.

shirleyknot
March 25th, 2017, 09:03 AM
My mom served powdered milk, too, when I was a little kid. It's only palatable if it's really cold. I think it was cheaper than regular milk, and of course it didn't spoil, so there were some benefits to it, I guess.

My mom tried making us clean our plates, no matter what, till the time my brother was made to sit at the table and finish his liver, which he absolutely hated. After a lot of crying and whining, he finally choked it down, then promptly threw it all back up right on the table.

I did the same thng with stewed tomatoes. STILL can't swallow a cooked bit of tomato, but love them raw.

JCY
March 25th, 2017, 04:50 PM
We drank lots of powdered milk, too, when I was growing up. But I knew it was powdered; mom didn't lie to me. One time my mom made some split pea soup and called it Christmas Soup so my grade school age boys would eat it. They chowed down on it & liked it just fine.

Divine Daisy
March 27th, 2017, 08:09 PM
I have never had powdered milk. I didn't know it existed until I was an adult. It amazes me that it was obviously so popular in the US, clearly milk was cheaper in the UK because you can be sure that if it wasn't my mother would have used a cheaper alternative!

I have lied soooooooo much to my kids! (hangs head). I told them that when the ice cream van came round playing music it meant that he had run out of ice cream. They hated stew so I made casserole (identical). I told them that I couldn't play football because I have a bone in my leg (technically not a lie). I told them that the blinking light on the burglar alarm was Santa watching in to see if they were being good. I told them that if they didn't tidy their room TONIGHT after nagging for days that I would put everything in the bin and they would have nothing, They didn't. So the next day I bagged their entire room up, leaving only a teddy each and their beds and stored it all in the loft. They came home from school to nothing! I kept it all in the loft for a week. I told them that only Mummies could decorate the Christmas tree because it was very very dangerous. What can I say......... I am OCD about my tree.

Of dear..........I was such a bad mother.

redcaboose1717
March 27th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Oh I think we all have been lied to a little bit as children, and we have done the same things to our own.....Little white lies are no big deal. When it mattered we were told the truth, and we did the same thing with our children.
When you think about it, we all tell little white lies.....Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc. Does that make us bad parents ? No of course not, I just think it's hilarious how many people were told pretty much the same things !
I had a marvelous childhood.....my parents were two of the best !

Stacie
March 27th, 2017, 11:14 PM
My Mom tried to pass fried squash as French fries once. It probably shouldn't have been so awful but it was mushy and full of seeds. Yuck! I have 2 sisters and we were all pretty young...we all cried from the disappointed expectation of fries. (It was long before fast food was so easy to get to.) I feel bad now for my sweet Mom trying to give us veggies and all of us just sitting there crying! I don't know how Mom & Dad raised 3 girls with their sanity intact but thankfully they did. :)

brook
March 28th, 2017, 02:35 AM
Almost all parents lie to their children. Santa claus, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy. It was quite a shock to me. Part of growing up is learning to deal with these ambiguities in life.

:icon_eek: ARE YOU SAYING THEY DON'T EXIST!!! :icon_rofl: