PDA

View Full Version : Off to Kansas City, KS tonight!

kgirlmom
March 21st, 2017, 09:41 AM
I'm leaving tonight after work to drive from San Antonio to Kansas City, KS to visit my pregnant daughter (due in June-gender unknown). My Honda is loaded with her childhood crib (hasn't been recalled - yay!), two cradle type things, electronic bouncers, and a bunch of other stuff her cousin handed down. Bringing up the rear in the very back is my sewing machine, cutting tools/mats, and bags of fabric and a bag of baby stuff I have made for her - crib sheets, nursing cover, burp cloths, changing pad covers, wash cloths and a few other items. Spared a bit of room for my little dog to travel comfortably. I should have lots of sewing time as they will be watching the Sweet Sixteen, hoping the Jayhawks can get it done.

Prayers and best wishes to all you great folks! Keep up the good work! Go forth and sew!

Star lover
March 21st, 2017, 09:45 AM
Sounds like a wonderful time! Have a safe trip and enjoy!

Bubby
March 21st, 2017, 09:52 AM
I hope you will have time to visit M* in Hamilton while you are in the area!!

Ginny B
March 21st, 2017, 10:05 AM
Have a safe trip and a wonderful visit.

asta
March 21st, 2017, 10:09 AM
Safe travels! I am sure you will enjoy your time with DD.

threadbndr
March 21st, 2017, 01:05 PM
We have a quilt hop going on in the area from April 3-8! And M* is close!!!

bubba
March 21st, 2017, 02:02 PM
You know that M* is just over an hour away, right??

kgirlmom
March 21st, 2017, 06:47 PM
Yes, I know M* is super close! I was able to go there 2 years ago when I was up there for DD's wedding. I need to see what the kiddos have planned before I plan my escape to Hamilton.

stationarymom
March 22nd, 2017, 01:43 AM
Safe travels.I hope you have a wonderful visit with your dd.

KarenC
March 22nd, 2017, 10:09 AM
Hope you have a wonderful trip.

kgirlmom
March 28th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Welp. I am back home in San Antonio after my trip to Kansas City. Because I started out after work last Wednesday, I made it as far as Waco because of my late evening departure, construction on the highway and blinding lights. Lily (my little dog) and I stayed overnight at La Quinta. Got up early and headed out for Kansas City about 5:30 am. Got as far as Forth Worth when I was involved in a 4 car pile-up on I-35W at 6:45 am rush hour, bumper to bumper. Mine was the only vehicle severely damaged and could not drive away. Fortunately, no one was hurt, nor was my precious cargo (the childhood crib and various other baby things I was hauling for my pregnant DD). My car was hauled off to a tow yard to await the insurance adjuster and I was given a rental car to complete my trip. Four hours later, I was on my way to Kansas again. Today (Tuesday), I received word that my 2014 Honda CRV is a total loss. I loved that car. Good news is I owe less on the note than the value of the car, so I will have some money to put toward a new car. Downside is I had hoped the 2014 would be the last vehicle I had to buy (and just bought new tires!). Other good news during my vacation is that I was able to feel the baby! Yay! The crib sheets I made fit and we put together more nursery stuff for my first grandchild. Now I have much to catch up on the forum while I was away.

P.S. My great escape to *M* was thwarted by the 4 hours I lost in the accident and picking up my youngest daughter at the airport who flew in from Houston to surprise her sister - my awesome son-in-law was supposed to take care of that, but at the last minute he had to work. So precious hours lost for *M*, but gained for precious time with my two beautiful daughters.

Judy, USMC
March 28th, 2017, 04:42 PM
So sorry to hear about the accident and loss of your car - - - but glad to hear all the contents were safe. I'm also happy you had that time to be with both of your daughters. It must have been enjoyable; time with family is precious! I'd pick that over a side trip to a fabric shop any time.

Best wishes on finding another car you like. Maybe there is another 2014 Honda CRV in your area for sale? CarMax may be a good place to check out. (I've purchased all my vehicles used and haven't had a problem.)

Good to hear you made it home safe after this eventful adventure!

seaturtle
March 28th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Glad you and your cargo made it there safe and sound. So sorry to hear about your car. I can't imagine what you must have gone through collecting your stuff and dealing with the car on the freeway. I'm glad you had a good visit with your daughters.

snippet
March 29th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Wow! What an eventful trip you had, good and bad. You have such a great attitude through it all. So glad everything minus the car wasn't hurt. How thrilling to feel the baby! It must have been a great time with all your family together. You made a bunch of things, that takes a lot of work. I've never made any stuff like that, but they are so useful to any mom.

So how is the car shopping going?

kgirlmom
March 29th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Making the baby stuff is way out of my comfort zone, but it means a lot to my millennial daughters to have "homemade" items. (Who knew?) I should have a new car by Saturday. I know what I want (another Honda), just have to find the right deal. My phone and email is getting blown up by sales people. I will be getting a few thousand back from the insurance company after they pay off my existing car note, so that's good news. I just hate car payments though, especially at this stage of my life. My 23 year old insisted to know what I was going to buy. I told her I was getting a red Mercedes convertible - two seater. I could hear her mind grinding through a text message. I'll let all that sink in for a day or two. LOL.

jjkaiser
March 29th, 2017, 09:57 PM
I just leased a new Honda Civic a few months ago. It was a major disappointment that they no longer put CD players in the civic, so nice for long trips. Also I find the gas tank indicator ridiculously hard to read especially at night. It should have a colored thingy on it showing how full it is, but it doesn't. That wss a dumb design mistake. Other than that I like it and the payment is just $199 a month, no money down. Good luck.

kgirlmom
March 30th, 2017, 08:37 AM
I just leased a new Honda Civic a few months ago. It was a major disappointment that they no longer put CD players in the civic, so nice for long trips. Also I find the gas tank indicator ridiculously hard to read especially at night. It should have a colored thingy on it showing how full it is, but it doesn't. That wss a dumb design mistake. Other than that I like it and the payment is just $199 a month, no money down. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel indicator - I will take a hard look at that. The new models have a touch screen for everything instead of knobs/dials. The car experts agree that was a bad idea I don't like it at all. My rental is the Chevy Traverse and with the touch screen. I think it really takes my eyes off the road too much. Thought about leasing since I now only travel about 10-15 miles a week for work, but don't think I'm ready to go down that road. I convinced myself that the 2014 would be my last car purchase - but I didn't figure in the possibility of crashing it. I love the Civic - I owned 3 from 1989 to 2004, but after having two hips replaced, it was just too low for me to get in and out of. Thanks for your support.

seaturtle
March 30th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Making the baby stuff is way out of my comfort zone, but it means a lot to my millennial daughters to have "homemade" items. (Who knew?) I should have a new car by Saturday. I know what I want (another Honda), just have to find the right deal. My phone and email is getting blown up by sales people. I will be getting a few thousand back from the insurance company after they pay off my existing car note, so that's good news. I just hate car payments though, especially at this stage of my life. My 23 year old insisted to know what I was going to buy. I told her I was getting a red Mercedes convertible - two seater. I could hear her mind grinding through a text message. I'll let all that sink in for a day or two. LOL.

You are my kind of momma! That's something I would do :)