PDA

View Full Version : Where did the Night Owls go?

stationarymom
March 21st, 2017, 01:35 AM
I was just wondering why I don't see a Night Owl post every day? How are you all? I'm still recovering from my burns,I don't know how long this will take.I haven't sewn in ages because of the burns.

kimsophia
March 21st, 2017, 02:12 AM
I guess I don't have anything to say! :)

KarenC
March 21st, 2017, 02:36 AM
Hi. I'm not usually a night owl, but out late this evening while at a conference. It's always great when someone else is wining and dining you. Tomorrow night is the big extravaganza. Well not much sewing and quilting going on for me lately but hoping to get back into it soon.

bubba
March 21st, 2017, 03:11 AM
Joan, how much longer before they think you will be healed? I think and worry about you often.

I'm sure I'll be a night owl for a while now. Being a nurse is like being a newborn mother! Sleep when he sleeps, try not to nag, try to make him smile, keep him fed, keep him clean, keep him hydrated....aye yi yi!!! I had to call the consulting nurse tonight and right before she picked me up off hold, I figured out the answer to what I was calling about. It's always nice when your 'coworker' concurs your diagnosis! :icon_rofl:

redcaboose1717
March 21st, 2017, 03:37 AM
Well, I have been sick for quite a few months and just getting back into the swing of things. I am trying to decide if I should try to start making a quilt or something. I haven't sewn in about 8 months.....I really miss it. I suppose I should try something simple that I am used to making, like a set of Pillowcases etc.

Has anyone made a easy / simple quilt lately....that didn't take a long time ? If so, which pattern did you use ? Did you use one of Jenny's video tutorials?

It's 2:30 am here and I really should consider going back to bed......but I am not tired ! :)

Star lover
March 21st, 2017, 07:23 AM
Joan, how much longer before they think you will be healed? I think and worry about you often.

I'm sure I'll be a night owl for a while now. Being a nurse is like being a newborn mother! Sleep when he sleeps, try not to nag, try to make him smile, keep him fed, keep him clean, keep him hydrated....aye yi yi!!! I had to call the consulting nurse tonight and right before she picked me up off hold, I figured out the answer to what I was calling about. It's always nice when your 'coworker' concurs your diagnosis! :icon_rofl:

Just don't tell us ya had to burp him!

stationarymom
March 22nd, 2017, 02:01 AM

Pat I am almost there,now i'm just waiting for some of my grafts to thin out.I have a sheet of silicone I have to wear over some of my grafts that started to get hard and thick,as well as my compression sleeve to wear if I don't wear that my arm begins to contract.

kimsophia
March 22nd, 2017, 02:29 AM
I hope you are back to sewing again soon, stationarymom...

I have given up on ever getting my twenty dollar hand dyed thread from Canada. I asked for a refund. I ordered it on March 3rd. The Etsy seller said it should take 4-6 business days, maybe a few longer. It's been more than a few longer. I told her if it ever came I'd pay her. I'm disappointed and not sure what direction to take with this project. So, I'm embroidering kitchen towels just as busy work. :P

toggpine
March 22nd, 2017, 03:48 AM
The new goat kids have kept me kind of busy, but I just haven't had the gumption to start a new post when I do poke in for an update.

I was bad. I went into our local thrift shop to see if they had any bobbins that would fit the school sewing machines. That took me to the area with the fabric. I bought a bundle of about 100 6" mostly-floral blocks. There are a few repeats, but nearly all different. I really had no idea what I'd do with them, but some of the prints were pretty. (I got out with those and a few other pieces for under $5.)
Well, I have been schlepping my 18x24" cutting mat and associated sewing paraphernalia back and forth to the after school sewing class in one of those huge IKEA blue-tarp tote bags. Not really a lot of support or protection. I picked out 48 of my favorites and some denim and have begun to create a tote for my stuff. It has a couple of design issues, but the first one always does.
I used some stiff batting my sister was getting rid of and it ought to stand up by itself when I'm done! I have the outer part of the bag nearly finished. I have to fix one of those design flaws before I go any further on that. The pockets and the lining will be next. Then comes the fun part of determining how long to make the handles. I may take a hint from IKEA and put double handles on. The short ones for hand-held transport and longer ones when I need to sling this over the shoulder for hands-free operations.

Kim, I'd cancel the thread order too. I know a lot of etsy folks are small businesses run by a single person, but if you have a production problem, call/email the customer right away. Then you can help them find an alternative if the need it right away, or at least let them know of the delay. Most of us understand sick families or other unexpected stuff and would wait if informed.

Joan, I hope that your burns continue to heal well. It just sounds so awful.

Speaking of baby goats...it is time for the late shift feeding. Then either a bit more work on the tote or bed. (Probably will head for the nest!)

Hugs my Quilty friends! Cathy

Midge
March 22nd, 2017, 11:17 AM
Used to be a regular on the night owl thread, but I've been trying very hard to get/keep my sleep schedule more normalized (for me, that is). I just feel better when I am not up to the wee hours reading or watching tv. Though it doesn't really affect my arthritis, it does affect my mood, for sure. And I don't want to be easily irritated at my volunteering gigs. My dog doesn't understand sleeping in. Though he is far more patient than I deserve. But this little wellness issue is nothing compared to what some of you are dealing with on an hourly basis. Burns and chronic diseases are just so complex and terribly difficult. You have my complete support and healing thoughts and prayers. Kimsophia, I would be upset about the threads too, and ask for my money back. If you paid through paypal, isn't there a specific time frame to file a complaint? I seem to remember that when I had an issue with an online quilt shop last year that didn't fill an order and ignored 2 emails from me. Toggpine, I don't envy you the late night care the kids need, but they sure are cute little dickens, and that would make up for a lot of yawning I guess. Have a great day, all.

kimsophia
March 22nd, 2017, 10:04 PM
The new goat kids have kept me kind of busy, but I just haven't had the gumption to start a new post when I do poke in for an update.

I was bad.

But were you ba-a-a-a-ad?

See? It's a goat joke! :D

Judy, USMC
March 23rd, 2017, 01:11 AM
I've returned to the caretaker role for the 4th time - hopefully just for a short time. Steve was hospitalized for breathing problems for a week and got out on Valentine's Day. Since then it's been a series of medical appointments ... cardiologist, pulmonologist, ct scan, tte scan, pulmonary function tests, mri, not to mention the cardiovascular surgeon and nephrology referrals yet to be scheduled. This is in addition to the oxygen tank exchanges. We were at the hospital from 11am to 3:30pm today. (Luckily I was able to get my annual EKG and labs done, too.)

So I don't know when I'll become a regular night owl again. Some days I just have to fall into bed early and, like Bubba, sleep when he sleeps. I've gotten used to the humming and puffing of the oxygen concentrator and it's so monotonous sometimes it simply lulls me to sleep .....