PDA

View Full Version : back home.....

bubba
March 19th, 2017, 09:09 PM
I tried to convince them to keep him in the hospital and the RN said she would call and check with the doctor to keep him another day or two. Word to the wise....if this ever happens again, I will do it out of his earshot because he said he wanted to leave. GRRRRRRR!

Anyway, he is home after a very painful drive. I now know where ever little or big bump is on the freeway and surface streets. Finally got him settled in bed. Nobody better come over because he insists on being pantless and nobody wants to be seeing that!

I got him to drink some fluids and eat a container of applesauce then ran to the store (really, I drove to the store where I was accosted by Girl Scouts.....) to get some things he wanted. I could see no evidence that he wandered around while I was away and I let him have his pain meds and he is now sleeping.

While he sleeps, I am going to be making soup. One is beef barley and the other will be egg flower. He likes both of them and they should keep him happy.

jjkaiser
March 19th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Well congratulations for managing the drive home!! It sounded very stressful. Maybe his mood will improve once he wakes up and realizes he is at home in his own bed. You are doing your best you can to keep him comfortable. One day at a time. You know you can always vent here. Hopefully things will get easier every day as his post surgery pain dwindles.

bubba
March 19th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Uh oh.....I hear groaning from the other room!!

bubba
March 19th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Phew.....all is well!

shirleyknot
March 19th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Best of luck with your Honey "Bear"

seaturtle
March 19th, 2017, 11:08 PM
You've had a long week - try to get some rest while he's resting. Good luck!

bubba
March 19th, 2017, 11:19 PM
I have this cooking....http://tiphero.com/slow-cooker-beef-barley-soup/ So far, it tastes pretty good before cooking! I love beef barley soup, but have never made this recipe before. I added fresh, chopped mushrooms as well.

GaGa
March 19th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Your soup sounds yummy! Pat, you are a wonderful "nurse"! Hang in there and rest when you can. My husband just had knee replacement five weeks ago. He's now had both hips and both knees done. I'm afraid my patience has worn thin. His first hip was a year ago and his last hip was in June, my shoulder was in August and now his last knee. I hope we can go a really long time without anymore surgeries! I'm a relatively good nurse for about three to four weeks and then I start to lose it! You know you can always come here to the forum sound off!

K. McEuen
March 20th, 2017, 12:02 AM
There is a recipe for Beef Barley soup in the recipe section that Donna, crazymtnlady, posted. It is wonderful.

Hope MM does well through the night. Seems to be when the pain meds wear off and you don't feel like getting up to take more.

I went and found the recipe
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=16926&highlight=beef+barley

Mimi_Howard
March 20th, 2017, 12:11 AM
I made the mistake of giving a wooden spoon to a recovering family member, honey I can just knock on the wall if I need you ... I feel too weak to yell. OMG I so wanted to take that dang spoon and knock him upside the head with it. Just sit down, knock knock.. up / down / up down. Soon as he feel asleep I took away the spoon!

toggpine
March 20th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Don't make me come over there with my "farm care" kit! He'll wish he was still back in the hospital!

Nidan_07
March 20th, 2017, 01:06 AM
Pat, Congratulations on your new found navigation skills. Glad to hear that MM is home and resting comfortably.
Don't be concerned about the no pants.... it is "No Undie Mundey". :D:D Well at least it's Mundey (Monday) down here. Keep well.

Judy, USMC
March 20th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Glad to hear he's home. When I took care of my mom the neighbors lent me their baby monitor. That first night was when I realized she talked in her sleep! Kept me up off and on until daybreak.

So the best solution for me was one of those wireless doorbells. I could go anywhere within the house without worry ... if she needed me just ring the bell that I pined to her PJs ... and I kept the chimer in my pocket. It worked after Steve's bypass (kept next to his recliner) and when we were taking care of his sister, too. It really decreased my stress level; didn't have to jump up at any unusual noises.

bubba
March 20th, 2017, 01:23 AM
He just yelled 'that was an accident!' Uh, what was an accident? 'The bell that rang 2x, didn't you hear it?' Well, gee, no, no I did not. Try it again.

I heard it the next time and then he asked if I'd go get the horn off his bicycle..........

stationarymom
March 20th, 2017, 01:27 AM
Pat i'm glad MM was doing well enough to come home ,but now make sure to sleep when he does if you can.You will need the rest.I hope MM is a good pt.for you,I know my husband usually is not.I wish you luck for the up coming days.

bubba
March 20th, 2017, 02:56 AM
He managed to eat three spoonfuls of egg flower soup, which he loves....drank some water, took some pills, had three bites of vanilla pudding and he's now out for a couple hours.

The beef barley soup is smelling delicious!

Star lover
March 20th, 2017, 07:17 AM
I feel your pain. Some men (mine included) are the worse patients ....at home. My DH was gold in the hospital but once home, I thought I'd have to kill him. He was such a baby. OK, surgery (different than your dh) not fun but gosh. The whining, the constant could ya ..... I've had many surgeries and I refuse to whine. It DOESNT HELP anything. I'll be praying for your sanity and his healing - fast! Mmmm, soup. Love soup - any kind, if it's home made. Yours sounds great. Blessings for today .... and everyday!

Monique
March 20th, 2017, 08:00 AM
I hope he's feels better now that he is at home and you looking after him. Don't forget to look after yourself too.

bubba
March 20th, 2017, 08:48 AM
....ugh! Here I sit just after 0400 following a coughing fit. I did not take Nyquil PM because I wanted to be able to hear and help him if needed. Well, the coughing woke Mr. Crankypants up, but I finally got it to stop.

Before I went to bed, I told him I'd take his phone with me incase the doctor called bright and early....why at 0345 he thinks he needs his phone is beyond me! Oh, he wanted to know what time it is.....it is time for you to eat that applesauce and take the pain pills that are four hours overdue...that's what time it is!

Good night/morning....

Ginny B
March 20th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I am glad hubby is home. I hope he gets to feeling less cranky soon. How are you doing dealing with the drain? How are you feeling? Prayers sent upwards and (((((Hugs))))) sent your way.

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
March 20th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Its too bad the insurance companies force the doctors to release patients so early. Don't they realize the burdun they put on us, especially us seniors.

I wish you the best dear, just keep doing what you do and make sure you allow yourself some time for YOU.

WendyI
March 20th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Well I'm very glad he is home and recovering but now I am worried about you! Please be sure to take care of yourself! xxox

bubba
March 20th, 2017, 02:23 PM
He deals with the drain himself. As good as it sounds for him to be home, he needs to be in the hospital. His pain is out of control and that brings out the crankiness. He won't eat and that brings out the crankiness. He does not like my tone of voice, no matter if it's nice or not and that brings out the crankiness.

Heaven help me...............

kaydee
March 20th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a call to the doctor is in order. I'd be worried about dehydration.

So sorry you're both in "pain".

hugs

Sandy Navas
March 20th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Pat, tell him Tiff has arranged for tickets so I can come take care of him. Mention Nurse Ratched in passing.

kaydee
March 20th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Bubba, did they tell you to expect the level of pain he is still experiencing? I know guys are bigger babies (speaking from experience) when it comes to surgery pain, but seems like the pain pills should be handling it. I wonder if they could give him something stronger.

Star lover
March 20th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Oh my, it could be he's a big baby or something else is going on. Maybe like kaydee said, just a call, just to be sure. Will keep praying for BOTH of you. You need it as much as he does!

bubba
March 20th, 2017, 03:18 PM
In the hospital, he had an epidural which basically kept the surgical area numb. He was on a very low dose of pain meds. They removed the epidural on Saturday morning before I got there and decided one day of being on pain pills was enough. I'm waiting for the doctor to call....I bet I can get to the phone before he does!

kaydee
March 20th, 2017, 03:26 PM
So NO pain meds? Wow that's just crazy!

bubba
March 20th, 2017, 03:55 PM
He on pain meds via pills, but they went from the epidural to pills to going home all in 24 hrs....and they sent us home with only 40 pills!

alliek
March 20th, 2017, 04:17 PM
God Bless, a man in pain is not a nice man. Hopefully, (and I'll be praying), all will be healing and his sunny personality will emerge. I love those soups too! That will make him happy. Healing,Peace and Health.

JCY
March 21st, 2017, 12:14 AM
It's important that the pain not get ahead of him. He's had a major surgery. Take the pain pills on a regular basis, always with food or milk to avoid a painful stomach, nausea, etc. You might want to consider having him take a stool softener (generic Colace = Docusate Sodium) so he doesn't get constipated from all the pain pills. He needs fluids, too! Is he getting up & walking around the house. Some mild exercise is important, too. I hope he feels better in a few days. Hang in there.

bubba
March 21st, 2017, 12:28 AM
It's important that the pain not get ahead of him. He's had a major surgery. Take the pain pills on a regular basis, always with food or milk to avoid a painful stomach, nausea, etc. You might want to consider having him take a stool softener (generic Colace = Docusate Sodium) so he doesn't get constipated from all the pain pills. He needs fluids, too! Is he getting up & walking around the house. Some mild exercise is important, too. I hope he feels better in a few days. Hang in there.

I think we got the pills figured out today. He is taking stool softeners and I did get him to walk tonight....three or four laps around the kitchen island. Getting him to eat is a different story, but he did eat more for dinner today than yesterday. They had mentioned Ensure and were giving it to him in the hospital but he did not like it. I tried it and at first, it's not bad, but the after taste was terrible! I picked up the Carnation breakfast drink and got half of one down him today...he liked it better and no icky taste later.

Star lover
March 21st, 2017, 07:17 AM
Everyone here sure is hoping things get better sooner than later. Will continue praying. I remember when I had surgery that they stressed that the pain not get out of control. It was easier to keep in down than try to get a handle on it, if it got out of control. Everyone's pain levels are different. I only needed it once at night and then I felt I didn't need it anymore. I hated the side affects. Hope DH was able to get some sleep and that you got all the sleep YOU needed. Lack of sleep will drain you.

bubba
March 21st, 2017, 02:08 PM
I'm sure his pain will go on for a while. His incision starts about three or four inches above his belly button, then goes in a half circle around it and goes probably seven or eight inches below it....all held together by stapes about 1/4" apart. Those come out either this Friday or next, I can't remember which.

kaydee
March 21st, 2017, 02:24 PM
Oh, ouch! I was wondering how large is incision was. Poor guy!
Try to get him to walk as much as possible. It really does help.
My hubby always seems afraid to walk after surgery -- fear that it would make the pain worse -- so I would give him his pain meds then 1/2 hour later get him up to walk. Never had him walk towards the end of the med time.
I would imagine with your MM, there are probably some underlying emotional issues at work, too. There sure would be for me.
One hour at a time, one day at a time -- you guys will get through this. I'm sure he's through the worst of the pain days, so he'll probably start noticing huge improvements.
Hugs!

bubba
March 21st, 2017, 03:41 PM
And just like that, we are back to yesterday!!

I told him how many pills he had left (enough for one day!), so he got in touch with the doctor....up in Bellevue 40 miles of traffic hell away. They said they will refill it but we need to come up there to get a hard copy of the prescription to get it filled. I told MM I loved him but really did not want to do that.

He then called the doctor here and left a message with the nurse. Waiting to hear back.

jjkaiser
March 21st, 2017, 04:10 PM
Drive 40 miles each way to get a paper prescription?!! That is craxy. Can't the doctor email it or fax it to a pharmacy close to your house? Tell them DH can't be left alone long enough for you to get it. Oh where is your dd, she could help with something like this!!!

kaydee
March 21st, 2017, 05:32 PM
And just like that, we are back to yesterday!!

I told him how many pills he had left (enough for one day!), so he got in touch with the doctor....up in Bellevue 40 miles of traffic hell away. They said they will refill it but we need to come up there to get a hard copy of the prescription to get it filled. I told MM I loved him but really did not want to do that.

Is that some kind of law in Washington? I've never heard that for pain meds, though perhaps because they are narcotics. Come to think of it, maybe we have always taken in a written script. Usually they hand them to us as we leave the hospital. Huh. I do know that I had to go in to pick up Ritalin paper prescriptions (until very recently).

Now they'll phone in the Ritalin scripts, but now I don't want them to b/c if my pharmacy is out, I have to recall the doctor and get him to call another prescription to a different pharmacy. That can go on forever. So I just tell them I'll pick up the paper copy so I can take it to whatever pharmacy.

Interesting though about the pain meds. I really had never heard of having to physically pick up the scripts.

Patty J
March 21st, 2017, 09:58 PM
I had surgery and I needed a written prescription that my dh had to go to the office to pick up. Then he had to show drivers license at the office and at the pharmacy. That was about 2 years ago. Because of all the misuse of the pain meds they have to keep tract of who has it and how often.
Good luck and prayers for you and MM I'm going to be making that Beef Barley soup tomorrow so thanks for posting that.

bubba
March 21st, 2017, 11:24 PM
You need a printed prescription for the drugs he is on because they are a narcotic. You don't for other drugs unless they contain codeine, etc.

We were able to call his doctor here and they are filling a prescription for him and I will be picking it up in the morning.

Star lover
March 22nd, 2017, 06:53 AM
You must be exhausted! Will keep praying. Especially for his pain to get under control. Also for you....

KarenC
March 22nd, 2017, 09:56 AM
Keeping you both in my prayers. Glad you have us here to share your ups and downs with. From my experience, this is very helpful.