PDA

View Full Version : I just don't want to!

asta
March 18th, 2017, 02:12 PM
So, I make rewards card/ scrip card wallets for my church to sell. I make 4 sizes and pretty much keep the stocked on all sizes but they contacted me to let me know they only have one small one left. I have tried to go into sewing room to make some for about a week now and I just don't want to do it. I find every excuse in the book to avoid making these rather simple little things, even started a few and messed up so bad just tossed them. I need motivation!

Carlie Wolf
March 18th, 2017, 02:25 PM
What do you think is subconsciously stopping you? Is it that you don't make enough on them and you need more supplies to purchase but it don't turn you a profit with just the small sizes?

DeniseSm
March 18th, 2017, 02:35 PM
I hear you about motivation. Some years our quilt guilds charity project is not my cup of tea. I have tried the following things. The right music can change my mood. Try getting a new album to listen to while you work, or an audio book or podcast. Promise yourself a reward when the job is completed. Cut out a picture of the reward and put it where you can see it in your sewing area. Give yourself small rewards as you complete each step in the process, or at time intervals. I use altoids (when I was much younger it was Skittles or Gummi bears. I love sugar.)

Hope you get your mojo back. Think how much you are helping the church.

Vonnie
March 18th, 2017, 02:46 PM
How about a training sew-in at your church. You can teach others how to make them, have fun in a group setting, and there would be several others who could make them in the future so you won't have to make so many of them.

Carlie Wolf
March 18th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Oh ok it's a donation thing.
I agree with Vonnie. Maybe you just need a break and it' time for someone else to get their feet wet for a while :-)

GrammaBabs
March 18th, 2017, 04:41 PM
I agree with Carlie... sometimes one can burn out with their craft and need to branch in a different direction or just take a break... I am 70 this year and have learned something...."When the pressure is on... the FUN is gone".... All that i do, I do when in the mood and all goes to charity or for free but as soon as someone "would like several of a certain thing"... Boom.... "Don't wanna',,, you can't make me".... bit of a Diva i know... but it's the truth:))))))))))) GB

Hulamoon
March 18th, 2017, 05:25 PM
If it's not fun it's not worth doing. :)

seaturtle
March 18th, 2017, 06:25 PM
I think Vonnie's idea is a great one. I know what you mean about motivation. If it's not there, you need to take a break.

Iris Girl
March 18th, 2017, 06:47 PM
If it's not fun it's not worth doing. :)

I like this and its so true as well as sewing is what I do for fun. Once someone asks it could sit until the nth of never. That is why I never sewed for profit or for others. Plus I bore easily so 2 of the same thing especially in a row in a no no.

Monique
March 19th, 2017, 06:43 AM
I have been asked many times, why don't you sell at craft shows? I don't want to make so many of one thing. I would get bored.

snippet
March 19th, 2017, 03:36 PM
I think I'm using your rewards wallet! It was a favor from a past retreat.

I know what you mean about not feeling like making something. I keep my church supplied with tissue holders and there have been times when I wasn't into making them. So I didn't. I didn't let it bother me and I made something else that I was interested in doing. And pretty soon (maybe a few months down the road) I felt like making tissue holders and I made a bunch.

You'll get your reward wallet mojo back Beth. Until then, sew what you want and let that be your inspiration.

Judy, USMC
March 20th, 2017, 12:44 AM
I make 4 sizes and pretty much keep the stocked on all sizes but they contacted me to let me know they only have one small one left. ... I need motivation!

The reward system sounds good. Or you could use the punishment method ... you can't do any other sewing until you get them done. Recruiting other sewers sounds do-able too. Even if they only do part of it (like sewing the pockets) and you do the finishing work. Or you do them and have someone else do just the flap and Velcro. A girl's playdate seems to make a difficult task much easier because there are laughs and snacks!

But I would recommend you just set it aside until you are in the mood. They do have other sizes available if someone really wants/needs one.

BTW we now keep the one you gave me IN the car. When I kept it in the house I would make sure I had it when I left. It became embarrassing when it came time to use it and pay for the item. I had the holder ... but a couple of times I had to go back home to get my wallet and money! Thanks, Beth, it's getting good use.