PDA

View Full Version : All the Good Taylors are Gone. A True Irish Tale.

Anna Leigh
March 17th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Over this past summer I finally cracked down and read my dad's side of the family, family history book. I very much surprised on how many people through the generations were sewist. Grant it sewing clothes, etc. was a must and there was no getting around not getting away with out it. Nonetheless here is a good o'l Irish American tale.

It was about 1783 or 84 and my 8th great grandfather, his two brothers and younger sister were out and about the docks in their neighborhood in Ireland. My great grandfather and his brothers over heard a conversations by American sailors that the Americans just won the war against the British. The wheels must have been turning in my great grandfather's head because it was not long that after being on the docks that day did the idea came to mind that going to America seemed like a great thing to do. So on their way to school one day all three boys turned to their younger sister and handed her their school books. They told her to hide their books somewhere and do not tell their parents where they had gone off to until it was late into the night or after supper. Can you imagine my poor great aunts agony when she had to explain to her parents that her brothers had taken off to America.

When the three boys (teenages actually) arrived to the United States they landed in Alexandria, Virginia. My great grandfather swore that when he married and had his first child he would name that child after the first city he landed in when he arrived in the America. I have to say that was one lucky child. Can you imagine being called New York or Boston? Neither can I. As the story continues my great grandfather became a taylor in Alexandria, and as far as his two brothers only their families know their histories as one took off for New York and the other for the Carolinas. My great grandfather's apprenticeship is unknown whether or not he started learning on how to be a taylor in Ireland or picked it up here in the United States. Considering that he was educated well into his teen years in Ireland meant that his parents were well off. Other wise his education would have ended when he would have been old enough to work.

A few years had passed and my great grandfather was doing well for himself as a taylor. He even had one customer compliment he so much that they had mentioned to him that their town could use a man with his skills. My great grandfather thought it over and figured why not. So he packed everything he owned and headed on the 70 mile trail to a little town called LeHewtown. He eventually made his way into this rough unruly rough riding gun slinging town. At first he thought he had made a mistake of arriving there but as time prevailed he settled in and started doing well. He eventually met his wife the granddaughter of the town's founder. Her family was from a family from french huguenots who arrived in America in the 1600's. They eventually married and had their first child, a boy named Alexander.

Eventually the years rolled on and my great grandfather did very well for himself and his family. And that gun slinging town eventually cleaned up and the townspeople changed to what it is today Front Royal, Va. My great grandfather was on the board of trustees and his name is on record of all legal documents there in Front Royal. I know he was not keen on slavery like his father-in-law was, and despite his success no one knows quite for sure if he own slaves as well considering that he was a successful farmer too. Unfortunately my great grandfather's death was not so prominent. No one knows for sure if he suffered from alzheimer's, all the same he had to have constant supervision in his older years because he was known to take off. That is exactly what happened to him. One of the younger children was supposed to keep an eye on him and didn't. Everyone was out doing chores and my great grandfather took off, and no one ever found him.

Monique
March 17th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the little bit of family history. Very interesting.

grammaterry
March 17th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Good story

stationarymom
March 18th, 2017, 01:35 AM
Interesting family history.

Anna Leigh
March 18th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks! Although I realised that I spelled tailor wrong. Serves me right for writing in a rush.

SallyO'Sews
March 18th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Great story - thanks for sharing with us. I cannot imagine how his parents must have felt. I know how distraught I was when my DD#5 took a job in Korea after graduate school - and I was well aware that she was going! AND, we had Skype so I could see her face whenever I needed to. I am continually amazed by our forebears who traveled far from home with nothing but whatever they could carry. Much more courageous than I, for sure!

laura44
March 19th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Good story! Waiting for part 2......