PDA

View Full Version : NC Fabric Icon- Mary Jo

KPH
March 16th, 2017, 09:12 PM
For those in NC that love quilting, reupholstering furniture, pageant dress making, wedding dress making, window treatment making, we've lost our local 'Jenny'... Mary Jo's Fabric- founder, owner Mary Jo Collinger passed away today.

In loving Memory of Marget (Mary Jo) Colien Cloninger
A Celebration of Life

Margaret (Mary Jo) Cloninger, 85, of the Gaston County landmark, Mary Jos Cloth Store, Inc. passed away at Covenant Village in Gastonia, NC on March 16, 2017.

Mary Jo was born January 16, 1932 in Gaston County, North Carolina to Paul H. Cloninger and Beatrice K. Cloninger. She married Polie Q. Cloninger in 1949 at the age of 17. Mary Jo opened Mary Jos Cloth Store on her 19th birthday with a single piece of muslin and a box of cloth remnants as inventory. Throughout the years, the store grew and became a fabric landmark. Her philosophy was To God be the Glory! And me the backaches and I have loved every day of the fabric business, but most of all the people we have served. The women who sew are extra special. Mary Jo was a faithful member of Holy Communion Lutheran Church in Dallas, NC.

Mary Jos is survived by her children, Thomas R. Cloninger and his wife Betty H. Cloninger and their daughters, Alan G. Cloninger and his wife Cathy M. Cloninger and their daughters, and Paula C. Houser and her husband Chuck Houser and their sons.

According to Mary Jos wishes, a private graveside service will be held. Memorial contributions may be made to Holy Communion Lutheran Church, 103 West Church Street, Dallas, NC 28034.

Mary Jo's first store was in the back of her father's barber shop. She was a hoot and loved to be in her store cutting fabric for her customers. She always had a smile and was eager to hear about what you were going to make with your purchase.

I'm so glad her family will continue to run the business an her legacy.

grammaterry
March 16th, 2017, 11:59 PM
Oh my, so sad to hear