PDA

View Full Version : Good News! House sold

KarenC
March 16th, 2017, 07:59 PM
I am THRILLED to share my excitement with you and let you know that I finally put the old house on the market on Tuesday. Signed a contract to sell today for very close to my asking price (more than I expected to get). I guess it helps when there are no other houses in my neighborhood for sale. Now just to hope the inspection report comes in OK.

Bubby
March 16th, 2017, 08:02 PM
That's fantastic, Karen! When I sold my old house it was on the market for at least 5 years. We had several potential buyers but none could qualify for the loan.

KPH
March 16th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Congratulations! Our house has been on the market for almost a year. We're with out third realtor. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything is smooth sailing!

shirleyknot
March 16th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Wow! Yes I'm jealous. Mine's been listed 4 years and I'm still sitting here. &%$#@ real estate agent.....

Hulamoon
March 16th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Good for you!

Shirley maybe change agents. That seems a little long.

asta
March 16th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Congrats! Hope all goes well and the closing comes quickly.

For those who are having a bit of a problem selling their home....when trying to sell our first home and wanted/needed to sell quickly my dad gave us this advice, we put in our contract a bonus .5% for the agent if it sold within 3 months, we ended up closing on the sale within the 3 months while other homes in price range and neighborhood remained unsold.

Judy, USMC
March 16th, 2017, 10:27 PM
So happy for you Karen! Hope the inspection has no major findings.

Shirley ... all I can do is shake my head ... and hope the market in your area improves.

shirleyknot
March 16th, 2017, 10:56 PM
Good for you!

Third agent.......

Carlie Wolf
March 16th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Congratulations. Don't ya just love it when a plan come together :-)

grammaterry
March 16th, 2017, 11:51 PM
I was a real estate agent for lots of years. I asked for a 10% commission and my potential listing people usually balked at first. I explained to them that real estate agents are in a business and will show the house they will make the most money on. ie..their own listings first. At 10%, it was like we were both the listing agent. I usually told the listing seller that we would start at 10% AND IF IT didn't sell in 90 days, we would drop to 8% and 90 more days we would drop to 6%. It usually looked like a realtor convention when we first listed because all the realtors wanted to get that big commission check.
Your other alternative is to offer a big bonus to the selling agent.
But, Karen...not to steal your post...congratulations on your quick sale. I'm certain it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

SallyO'Sews
March 16th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Congratulations, Karen!

Monique
March 17th, 2017, 06:02 AM
Congratulations on your sale. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

seaturtle
March 17th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Congratulations, Karen. Hope the rest of the process goes just as smoothly!

amartin24
March 17th, 2017, 12:45 PM
That's awesome and you realize how fortunate you are to sell so fast?

JCY
March 18th, 2017, 12:18 AM
The real estate market around here has gone crazy. Sometimes it's a bidding war with houses selling for considerably more than the asking price. Affordable housing is hard to find. Rentals & sales in the Denver metro area are high, too. Property doesn't stay on the market long in this area. We bought our house back in the late '70's. We could never afford to buy it at today's prices. I'm glad you sold your place at a satisfactory price.

MRoy
March 18th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Congratulations Karen! That was quick. DH's cousin sold his house unexpectedly this week (he priced it and they took it!) now he's scrambling trying to find a house to rent until he builds a new one.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 18th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Wow, I can't imagine waiting that long to sell a house. I guess the market is slower than I thought in the US, with the economy. Perhaps it's the location. I know that when my hubby and I each had our houses up for sale to buy one together, we both got multiple offers above asking price within 3 days of listing. That certainly removed any doubt that we made the right decision. It was a sellers' market, and that doesn't happen often.

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
March 18th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Thats just wonderful, congrads

KarenC
March 18th, 2017, 12:08 PM
For those of you who have had homes on the market for a long time, I'll pray that something turns around for you. I have several things going in my favor, primarily price range and good school district. I do realize how lucky I am, and all the work I did fixing the little things and kitchen remodel 5 yrs ago are paying off. Back then I decided I should fix it up for me instead of waiting to do so for someone else. Inspection is Monday. They have already come back with concerns about a tree where part of it is dead. So, I have put it in the Lord's hands that neither of us will get greedy in the end. Thank you for all your kind words and letting me share my excitement.

auntiemern
March 18th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Congrats on the sale Karen.

redcaboose1717
March 18th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Good for you!

I agree with Lorie.....that's a long time. I know that the housing market is different now, but WOW....4 yrs ?
When we sold our home years ago, the average wait time I was told was a year......our house sold in 7 months, BUT I feel as though a change I made in the house helped. No one liked the drapes in the living room ( it's amazing what people will find fault with that they can change once they purchase the house ! ) and so I went to J C Penney's purchased some plain white drapes and the next person that looked at the house signed a purchase agreement.
The one thing I had a hard time with as far as the listing agent was that she wanted me to pack up ALL ( we had 3 kids under 13 at the time ) of the kids toys etc. until we sold the house. I did pack some of them up....but come on, kids have to live in their own home !
I also changed the colors of the house to a off white over the course of the months it was listed.
I have been in my current home for a few years, and have no intention of selling it.Even though it's too big for just the two of us. It's paid for....HAPPY DAY !

MSN
March 19th, 2017, 12:53 PM
I was a real estate agent for lots of years. I asked for a 10% commission and my potential listing people usually balked at first. I explained to them that real estate agents are in a business and will show the house they will make the most money on. ie..their own listings first. At 10%, it was like we were both the listing agent. I usually told the listing seller that we would start at 10% AND IF IT didn't sell in 90 days, we would drop to 8% and 90 more days we would drop to 6%. It usually looked like a realtor convention when we first listed because all the realtors wanted to get that big commission check.
Your other alternative is to offer a big bonus to the selling agent.
But, Karen...not to steal your post...congratulations on your quick sale. I'm certain it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

Ten percent commission?? I nearly choked on my coffee. In many areas of the country, home prices are upwards of $500K. A 10% commission would be $50K. I understand that the listing agent splits that commission with the buyer's agent and both brokers, but would still net at least $15K. If they sold one home a month, that's $180K annually. Not a bad little income, and more power to them if they can get it.

Personally, I would never agree to a commission that large. I would look for an agent who would accept 5-6%. With the savings, I could reduce the asking price of the house by $5-10K, to undercut the competition. That will generate a quick sale. At closing, I would still net at least $10K more than if I had paid a 10% commission.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in Minnesota, realtors are required to disclose dual agency (i.e. if they earn commission from both sides of the sale). If they steered a potential buyer towards their own listing because they would stand to earn a larger commission, they would be in violation of the law unless they disclosed this upfront. At the very least, it is a potential conflict of interest and raises questions about whether they are representing the buyer or the seller during negotiations.

MSN
March 19th, 2017, 01:05 PM
For those of you who have had homes on the market for a long time, I'll pray that something turns around for you. I have several things going in my favor, primarily price range and good school district. I do realize how lucky I am, and all the work I did fixing the little things and kitchen remodel 5 yrs ago are paying off. Back then I decided I should fix it up for me instead of waiting to do so for someone else. Inspection is Monday. They have already come back with concerns about a tree where part of it is dead. So, I have put it in the Lord's hands that neither of us will get greedy in the end. Thank you for all your kind words and letting me share my excitement.

Congratulations, KarenC. I know what a relief it is to sell a property quickly. When DH and I combined households, we sold his house. It sold after only four days on the market. BUT we had worked hard for several months prior to listing to prepare it for sale. You are so right, fixing all the little things; updating the decor with a fresh coat of paint, new carpet, and new window treatments; decluttering; rearranging the furniture (and removing some of it) to "stage" the house; and then cleaning it until it sparkled -- all of that paid off in a quick sale, and for top dollar. Hoping your inspection tomorrow goes smoothly.

shirleyknot
March 19th, 2017, 01:10 PM
It helps when you can find an agent that does more than just list it on a web page and forget about it. *I* can do that by myself! I get a lot of promises and no action because it isn't a 6 figure property.

MSN
March 19th, 2017, 04:47 PM
It helps when you can find an agent that does more than just list it on a web page and forget about it. *I* can do that by myself! I get a lot of promises and no action because it isn't a 6 figure property.

Have you considered listing it as a For Sale by Owner property? Buyers use the web to search. With your creativity, I'm sure you could design a web page that gets some attention.