PDA

View Full Version : Thursday

Monique
March 16th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Good morning. I don't know what to call this morning.

Let me start with yesterday and why I was missing.

I awoke to the neighbour's house burning. I thought it was coming on morning until I looked out the window. The house across the street was fully inflamed. What an awful feeling. They got out ok but I believe possibly a few cats didn't make it. When the fire moved to the front of the house where the electric wires were, we had quite a light show and it unnerved me as the wires were sparking close to my house. And then the house next door, 30 feet away, were evacuated. 3 children and 3 adults and they came here. Then the electricity was turned off. I got out my little butane stove and made coffee and did I make coffee. But I didn't have enough milk so another neighbour brought us milk. Of course it was a cold morning, wind blowing and such. I had to go to another neighbour, who had electricity, to take a shower as I had to work. The family stayed here and Les played host, fed them breakfast (they went home and got more eggs and bread) until around 11 am when they were allowed to return home. Our friends were quite happy to have had refuge here. I know in the same situation, they would be there for us. The fire department did a tremendous job saving the two neighbour's houses. The fire was so hot that I could feel the heat in the windows. There doesn't appear to be any damage to our siding.

This morning at 5:30 there was a knock on my door, a passerby stopped and suggested I call 911 as the wind has re-ignited the flames. So the fire department are once again here in front of my house. I hate fire, very unnerving at least for me.

Poor Les, he hasn't had much sleep, he worked last night, was home late and now he is taking Doug to his appointment in the city. Thankfully he will be able to get some rest in the coming days as he doesn't work until Monday again. I, on the other hand, work today and tomorrow and then my stint is done. I was quite busy yesterday and worked through most of my lunch hour.

Let's pray that the fire is completely out and doesn't flare up again. I may not get a good night's sleep for a few days.

Have a good day everyone.

Star lover
March 16th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Wow, how scary! I'm so thankful you, your family and your neighbors are all OK.
It's really kinda surreal when you see a fire. It happened to me several years ago. I was on my way home from work and saw the roof of the neighbors house didn't look right. Smoke was coming up through all the gaps in the plywood sheets under the shingles - really weird. I ran into the house and hollered at my husband to call 911. He asked which house, and it's number. Number?? Right. So he ran out to find out. I just called, gave them ours. I mean ya can't miss it. I ran out and the roof was in flames.
The fire department arrived and asked us if we knew if anyone was home. It was the coldest day of winter - below freezing that year! A guy who was handicapped and on oxygen lived there but we couldn't see his vehicle (it was always outside). They got several guys in a line with the lead guy holding a huge fan like thing that blew the smoke. They went through the house and didn't find him - thankfully he was out. The house was a total loss, but he was OK. We couldn't even stand nearby. It was soooo cold our boats froze to the ground. When I tried to walk my boats started coming off. I felt so bad for the firemen. They wouldn't come inside.

The fire hydrant is in front of our house and the ice pond all the water formed was amazing. It took an entire truck of ice just to have some traction. Too cold for the salt to melt the ice. I had forgotten all about it, until your story. Yes, the heat from the flames are amazing. I think that's why our boats frozen to the ground.
Hopefully your power will be back on soon and the flames don't reappear. I'll pray for you. Try to have a good day.

Carol336
March 16th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Oh my gosh Monique- how frightening that must have been. And how wonderful of you and Les to offer refuge to your neighbors.....it's so comforting to know your friends/neighbors will be there when you need them. Praying that the fire is finally out.

Haven't been doing much sewing. We were away with our dance club last weekend and I just can't seem to get back in the swing of things. This is not a good thing because I've got a to do list (or should I say WANT to do list) that just won't quit. And I'm so far behind on my Solstice Blocks I'm beginning to feel like quitting. What do you guys do when you get in a funk like this.

On more happy note. I finally gifted the elephant quilt to my niece at her baby shower last Saturday (came home early from the dancing weekend). Now mind you I'm not the best quilter in the world, not even close, but most of the gals in my family don't even know how to thread a needle - so to them I'm better than Jenny Doan, Elinor Burns and Bonnie Hunter all together!!!! Anyway - when she opened it the crowd went wild....ooing and aahing and clapping.....it was such an awesome moment. Did I mind stealing the show away from the cute pregnant girl......not a bit - LOL!!!

I'm still trying to catch up with my hairdresser to deliver and get paid for the 6 totes she asked me to make. I'm beginning to wonder if she's avoiding me. She hasn't been answering my texts or phone calls. When I spoke to her last week she said she doesn't pay attention to her phone, which I find strange. But she has my cell phone number and said she would give me a call to arrange a pick up/delivery date.....so far no call. Lesson learned - next time - if there ever is a next time - get a deposit big enough to cover the materials at least and maybe even some labor.

Have a great day everyone

Bubby
March 16th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Good Morning....Wow, what an experience, Monique. You never know when you go to sleep what you will wake up to. It sounds like the fire department and you and Les did a great job with everything. At times like that neighbors need to pull together. Fire scares me really bad. Our home caught fire when I was 16 and we lost nearly everything but our lives were spared. Here we just have a volunteer fire department. By the time they can get to a fire it's too late unless the fire is in town.

I have no significant plans for the day other than a trip to the hardware store to get some keys made.

Wonderful news that Bubba's DH is doing so well!

Have a great day everyone.

Iris Girl
March 16th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Monique so happy everyone is safe. Fire is one of my biggest fears. My mom always said I must have been burned at the stake in a past life to have such a fear. The home that sits on the lot we now have burned because the neighbor put a pot of soup on to cook and went up town to the Post Office. the wind blew the curtains in the flames. She came back to a burning house. So scary. We are finally shoveled out and all are heading to work today. It took the 3 guys between 3 and 4 hours to clean the mess and that's with a snowblower. 24 to 30 inches is no laughing matter. Who ever pissed of Momma nature better start apologizing. Have a great day all.

shermur
March 16th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Wow Monique....thank goodness everyone is OK. You're a good neighbor. Home fires are quite devastating; the home my Dad was born in burned down to the ground, December 31, 1968. I was 4 years old and vaguely remember the fire; God was watching over us that night.

I have a job interview this morning, my Dad is coming to Springfield for a biopsy regard a high prostate gland count and I am picking up my Jazz some time today. I have been attempting to quilt on the stand-by work horse (Brother SB3129), but my shoulders feel slightly sore since I have been wrestling the projects on the small machine. Here is the current project getting quilted now.....

I hope and pray everyone has a good day; stay warm and quilt to your heart's desire!

JCY
March 16th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Monique, so glad you & your neighbors are ok. Just the kind of excitement one hopes to never have. Years ago some folks in our town had a bad experience on their wedding day. It was an older couple, 2nd marriage, etc. The reception was at their house with many guests there. They had hired someone to do BBQ on one of those large grills. It was positioned too close to the house. One of the connections came loose or something, but it caught the house on fire. Major damage to the house. All the guests were ok. There was melted plastic siding & damage to both houses on either side of it. Just a warning to everyone to keep your grill placed out a good ways from your house. So many people use their grills right next to the house.

We've been having a heat wave. Yesterday it got up to 85 deg.! I opened the windows to air out the house. I've noticed a few trees around town in more sheltered areas are blooming. It's too early. I hope they don't get zapped with a late spring snow storm.
We're way behind with precip. this spring. I hand watered the flower beds 2 days ago. It's supposed to be 65 to 75 over the next several days.

I had an update yest. on progress of the repair of my car from the liaison at the auto body shop. They were unable to find a used replacement rear bumper (my car is a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquise), so they are repairing it. They've sanded off the black marks, used mesh & putty to repair the damage & will paint it. On the exhaust system, everything back of the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. They're just waiting for those parts to come in. So far I'm very pleased with the way they have handled my case.

Today DH has a dental appt. at 10 a.m. Our taxes are done & waiting to be picked up. Now I'm going to again look over today's DD. I think I will get it. I really don't need more FQs, but the book is a good buy, even with paying shipping. That book costs $19. on Amazon. It looks like Kathy Brown has written quite a few books. When I looked at the used book web site, most of her books were out of stock, so they must be popular.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 16th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Wow, Monique, I saw the story about the fire on your FB post. Fires are so scary! We had a detached garage catch fire, we lived where the volunteer fired dept. was in charge. They did a great job once they got there, but it did take them some time to gather the troops. Luckily the houses were spared, but my car and 3 boats were toast!

Sheri, let me know how you like your Jazz. My daughter is interested in quilting, and I think she could do some FMQ on that machine with its 12" throat. I got a mini demo on it the other day. No cutter, Needle up- down or threader. I sure like those features on my machines.

Just finished this for a friend. Sure will be cute on that cute little 12 year old Tinker Bell.

Really, iPad? Turned sideways? Will I ever learn?

mischiefkat
March 16th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Monique,
Glad that you and the other neighbors are all ok. Doesn't sound like there is much of the house left though... Too bad for the home owner. Hugs and prayers for all involved. Kathy