PDA

View Full Version : It's Monday, the start of a new week

Monique
March 13th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Good morning from frigid temperatures. Holy nelly it's cold enough to freeze the boobs off a buffalo. Some snow expected for tomorrow sometime, not much as some other areas. We will wait and see what mother nature has in store for us. Hunker down and sew all day.

I did venture out on Saturday up to Pembroke. Home Depot had 20x30 folding tables on clearance for $5.97. I don't know if anyone of you use these, but a lot of my quilty friends bring these to retreat with them as extra work space. I wouldn't put a sewing machine on them but they are handy. I bought 3 of them. Then I was off to Michaels. I had a 50% coupon in hand, as I wanted a rotating mat. They had an OLfA 12x12 for $72 or a Fiskars 14x14 for $52. I took the Fiskars at that price. WOOHOO scored a deal there (at least to me). I then went looking for winter books which you can't get at this time of year I found out. Nothing found. I went to Fabricland looking for fabric with scissors on it (green colour) and nope none of that there either. I walked out the store with bare hands. True story!!!!! By then I was tired, hip was getting sore so I came home with my two purchases, quite pleased with myself.

I didn't do much yesterday but try to keep warm. I was expecting a friend to pop in but she never did, too cold to venture out. I was looking at the memory quilt and there was an empty black block that needed something. I was given 1 tie and it had calla lillies on it. Fussy cut a flower and stitched in onto the black square and it turned out really neat. To me it looks like a picture frame. I put pictures in show and tell if you care to take a look.

So today I get to quilt all day and watch movies. OOPS I mean today I have to work. Hubby is going to hitch a ride to work with one of the neighbours so I don't have to take him and then backtrack to get to my work. I do have to go pick him up tonight though. We both work until 6 but he is about 45 minutes away from me. But that's okay.

So I better get my tail in gear. Have a wonderful day everyone. Anyone in the path of storms, stay safe.

Bubby
March 13th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Morning Monique and Everyone to come.

I love how your memory quilt turned out, Monique. It should be fun to quilt, too.

We woke up to snow this morning, but not enough to be a problem. Dottie is refusing to go outdoors because she doesn't like getting anything on her paws. The one and only exception to this is in the Summer when she plays in the water. She doesn't know that snow is frozen water. Little Olive is a trooper and loves to play in the snow and slide on the ice like a seal.

I plan to cut some pieces for a new quilt this morning. Lots and lots of cutting for sure.

Prayers going out to those who have to deal with this latest arctic blast. Stay safe and warm. Today would be a good day to stay in and sew if possible. Have a blessed day friends....

shermur
March 13th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Morning all.....

I have a job interview at 9 AM; after the interview, I may shop for some fabric?

I started one of two baby quilts one of my sisters ordered. The first one is due by the end of this month. I altered the pattern slightly; but, it will work. And, I went to Joanne's for the first time in years. I got 30% off one the nursery fabrics I chose (pastel blues.yellows and grays).....

I am still trying to organize my sewing room and get research done for a FB business page. I had to take my new Jazz back to the machine shop where I purchased it. It seems it was having issues with FMQ; the sewing machine mechanic stated he would give it a once over and have the machine running in perfect order. I hope to get my new machine picked up this week!

Bubby
March 13th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Too bad about your Jazz, Sherri. I hope you get it back soon. Good luck with your interview this morning. Hugs...

Ginny B
March 13th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Good morning all. Waiting on the snow to arrive starting late tonight/early tomorrow. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time in my sewing room on Tuesday as we will probably be closed. Unfortunately this storm will probably delay #4 son's arrival. He and his gf are supposed to fly in on Wednesday but we will see what happens with the airports and catching up with flights. Delta has already contacted them about the possibility of changing their flights to the next day.

Yesterday I had to go shopping for a dress for a wedding we have next Monday (yes, I said Monday). I wanted something with long sleeves and in an easy care for knit fabric. When I walked into Kohls the prospects didn't look promising. All flowery, short-sleeved dresses on the racks. Hmmm, I might have to just where black pants and get a dressy blouse of some sort. I was headed in that direction and I passed a rack with this cute little black and white dress hanging right on the end. The hanger it was on said it was a size XL but I looked at it and said, No Way it's that size. I checked the actual tag on the dress and whoopi! it's a Medium. Headed to the dressing room and it fit! Doesn't even need hemming (and since I'm only 4'11" that's a big thing) And it was marked down to $28.50 from $95. Checked it out carefully and no defects, pulls, rips, etc. Yippee, off to the shoe department to see about new shoes too since the black heels I have aren't very comfortable. Yippee, another score. Found a cute pair, they are comfortable and also on sale. :) Picked up a couple other things I needed for the house and out the door I went. I headed up to my sewing room to organize a lot of piles of fabric and scraps that had been accumulating over the last couple weeks. I am so bad about not just putting the fabric away after I'm done cutting etc.

Well, Hi Ho Hi Ho, it's off to work I go. We'll be pushing people to get their timesheets etc. done in a super-timely manner today since we will probably be closed tomorrow and therefore the Payroll department will be operating with a shortened week to get everything processed. Be safe all who are in the path of this storm. Stay home and keep warm and cozy.

Star lover
March 13th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Hunkering down as there's snow on the ground and expecting about 4". No much, but after all the power out .... The people without power still and the workers - no fun. Praying for bubba and her husband this am, along with so many others. Stay warm and safe today. Hope to see some.

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
March 13th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Good morning everyone, Hope all you in the North east are fairing ok with the new storm.

good luck Sherri with your interview today.

My day started at around 3am. been working on my ancestry. I need to find some of my cousins who still live in or around Jamesport (Fathers side) and also some in Mercer (mother's side) Hope to meet some while in the area in Sept.

I will be working on finishing up a JRRQ today, and getting more cutting done.

Hope everyone has a super wonderful day

Cathy F
March 13th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Morning all,
Not much new here. Weathermen are all talking about the " big storm" that's heading our way. Every time I hear them the accumulation goes higher. Now they are saying anywhere from 12-20". I had a class tomorrow at the local quilt shop that will most likely now be cancelled.

I have been working on a project for my service club that is almost done. I can't say I enjoy making 40 of something on short notice but the deadline is met.

I should take advantage of the weather and get to cleaning my sewing room, it is really a disgrace and not like me to have put it off so long. I now find it overwhelming and don't know where to start.

Well, must get my day started. To all in the path of the storm be safe and keep warm.

Mimi_Howard
March 13th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Good Morning Everyone... I would rather be at work today, yep saying that on a Monday even, for this morning I have an ugly dentist appt. One of those 2 to 3 hour ones. Yuck. Removing and replacing 3 very old crowns and already expecting to hear the words "root canals" . Got my ipod charged up for music and they better have their gas tanks full too. Novacane wipes me out and I am one of those that need more than the average person. But I did manage to sew most of yesterday.

LauraP
March 13th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Murphy's law attacked me yesterday. My husband and I aren't real "come over and see us anytime" people but a client brought him a frig to fix yesterday and then wanted to show him how to fold money to make a shirt and pants. Anyway, I was dressed and the house looked decent except for there was an inch of dust on the cherry wood furniture. It was on my list of things to do yesterday, I just hadn't gotten there yet. Boy was I embarrassed! As soon as they left the dusting got done.

The weather is cooler, 31, but it isn't supposed to snow except for the pear blossoms coming down off the tree. That kind of snow I can handle.

threadbndr
March 13th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Well, it's been a Monday all right. I went out this morning and my car door was open - some nasty person had rifled though the glove compartment and console. Stole some change, my phone charger and tire gauge. Really? Luckily, the battery is new and hadn't died, so I made it to work.

I am usually so careful about locking up, but yesterday I was in a hurry and must not have hit the fob. The funny thing - they took the cord to the charger, but not the part that plugs into the lighter. What good is half a charger????

The police just take this kind of thing over the phone, now. But it just set the tone for the rest of the day :icon_stunned::icon_mad:

Iris Girl
March 13th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Its Monday. Work was slow to start.I imagine people were in the grocery stores wiping the shelves bare with the upcoming blizzard. Afternoon got busier guessing now they had food they needed crafts to work on. LOL People are funny. Told my boss on the way out I'd like to say I'll see you tomorrow but with a 2 foot of snow Blizzard not likely. About 2 hours after I got home he called to tell me we would be closed tomorrow.