PDA

View Full Version : Iowa is Issuing new Birth Certificates

snippet
March 11th, 2017, 12:44 AM
The Iowa Department of Public Health says parents whose children were born between May 1993 and October 2009 should exchange their child’s birth certificate for a new one. Children born between those dates were issued a wallet-sized certificate. The cards do not have enough information to be used as identification. The wallet-sized certificates, in some cases, lack information that federal or state agencies need for you to prove your identity. More than 630,000 birth certificates in Iowa need to be exchanged. Details may be found on the KCCI website at: https://goo.gl/eQL2WW.

grammaterry
March 11th, 2017, 12:48 AM
WOW! Another example of government boondoggle

Jean Sewing Machine
March 11th, 2017, 01:16 AM
Wow! That covers 3 of my gradNdkids! Crazy! Something is wrong with Missouri's drivers licenses we won't be able to board planes with them after 2017.

Hulamoon
March 11th, 2017, 01:25 AM
I was at the DMV a little while ago for my car registration and said to my dd I mise well get my new license while I'm here. Now you need three Id's. I asked since when? Little bit of over kill I think.

Deegles
March 11th, 2017, 01:29 AM
Someone told me that they had a child in the last year, and their Social Security number starts with zero.....they have ran out of numbers and are starting over....YIKES

kimsophia
March 11th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Well, being an Iowan, I looked this up and although you may want to do it, you are not required to. I never got one of these wallet-sized cards to begin with. They were apparently issued as a perforated, tear-away card on the larger, official document, which has the entire information. I didn't know it was a good idea to walk around with a birth certificate. I know you aren't supposed to carry your Social Security card. I haven't needed to present my birth certificate in a long while. They don't work as photo IDs so I figured they were somewhat obsolete.

Murphy224
March 11th, 2017, 08:41 AM
"haven't needed to present my birth certificate in a long while. They don't work as photo IDs so I figured they were somewhat obsolete. "

I am pretty sure you have to have a birth certificate to apply for a passport. If you don't have a birth certificate there are other forms of "proof" but they can be difficult to obtain for some folks. I moved to a different state some years ago and had to provide my original birth certificate to obtain a drivers license in my new state, it did not matter that I had a Commercial Drivers License issued by a neighboring state. Took me three trips to the DMV to get a new license! Also, I think you need one to apply for social security. I can't remember, when you reach to age of social security, your memory gets kinda vague. lol
At any rate, Kimsophia, I don't think birth certificates are obsolete and even if you haven't had to show it in some time, when and if you need it, you are gonna NEED it. Based on my past experience with government rules and regulations, better to be safe than sorry.
just saying......

MRoy
March 11th, 2017, 09:20 AM
The Real ID Act was enacted in 2005 and some states have delayed implementing it, including mine - Kentucky. You must have your SS Card and Certified Birth Certificate to get a Real ID driver's license here. Our governor vetoed enacting it here during the last legislative session. Now, the legislature is scrambling to try to put it in place because, later this year if you don't have a passport or other approved identification, a Real ID driver's license will be required to board a plane or get into a federal facility... ie military base or federal building.

Bubby
March 11th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Jean, I saw that on the news, too. We will need a passport if we want to fly anywhere, even within the US!

LindaKay75
March 11th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Talking about renewing driver's license........I had to show my original birth certificate proving my maiden name. Since I had been married twice I had to show original marriage certificates. Also electric bill showing proof of residence. It's a little ridiculous if you ask me. Plus a new picture which is just awful, wasn't allowed to retake it. :icon_mad:

BethB
March 11th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Jean, I think the same thing is going on in Pennsylvania. Our photo drivers license will not work for boarding a plane. I need to figure this out before flying to Missouri in Sept.

Nancy

kimsophia
March 11th, 2017, 07:56 PM
"haven't needed to present my birth certificate in a long while. They don't work as photo IDs so I figured they were somewhat obsolete. "

I am pretty sure you have to have a birth certificate to apply for a passport. If you don't have a birth certificate there are other forms of "proof" but they can be difficult to obtain for some folks. I moved to a different state some years ago and had to provide my original birth certificate to obtain a drivers license in my new state, it did not matter that I had a Commercial Drivers License issued by a neighboring state. Took me three trips to the DMV to get a new license! Also, I think you need one to apply for social security. I can't remember, when you reach to age of social security, your memory gets kinda vague. lol
At any rate, Kimsophia, I don't think birth certificates are obsolete and even if you haven't had to show it in some time, when and if you need it, you are gonna NEED it. Based on my past experience with government rules and regulations, better to be safe than sorry.
just saying......

Of course, and I know that. I'm talking about a wallet sized one to carry about every day.

lots2do
March 14th, 2017, 10:58 PM
The Real ID Act was enacted in 2005 and some states have delayed implementing it, including mine - Kentucky. You must have your SS Card and Certified Birth Certificate to get a Real ID driver's license here. Our governor vetoed enacting it here during the last legislative session. Now, the legislature is scrambling to try to put it in place because, later this year if you don't have a passport or other approved identification, a Real ID driver's license will be required to board a plane or get into a federal facility... ie military base or federal building.

Yes, this is true. Florida began following the new guidelines earlier than the state in New England I used to live in.