PDA

View Full Version : home again, home again, boo hoo hoo!!

bubba
March 8th, 2017, 05:52 AM
We got home a couple hours ago, much to our dismay. Left gorgeous 80 something weather and landed in 38 degree rainy/cold/wet weather.

While in Hawaii, I got a huge blister on each heel, about .5 x 1 inch. The one on my left was much worse, and both hurt to walk on. Well, I had been putting band aids over them and that helped. The one on the right appeared to be gone and the one on the left almost was, so this morning, I place some moleskin over each one. When we came back from walking and being in the ocean, they had gotten all sandy, so after my shower, I went to change them.

If ever you want to hear bad words said, pull moleskin off the bottom of your foot quickly. I did just that to the one on my right foot, because I thought it was fine. Well, it wasn't. It took a chunk of skin off that was the size of the blister itself and immediately started bleeding, bad......it took me about 15 minutes to get the bleeding to slow enough to bandage it, then we left for the airport. Got a wheelchair to get me to the gate or I'd still be there! Ordered one for when we landed. Fast forward, wheelchair was not ordered for Seattle. They called for one and said it would be ten minutes. Twenty five minutes later, we finally headed to baggage claim with me slowly hobbling. Once we got home, we changed the bandage. It was still bleeding!! I have it covered with a special bandage tonight and will change it out in the morning then go get more. I am not seeing sewing in my future before MM's surgery :(

Oh, in case you were wondering, I got the left one off ever so slowly and it is doing just fine.

Star lover
March 8th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Ouch! So sorry about the boo boos. Happy you got to spend some time in paradise. Yup, rotten weather all over.
Bright side - ya can sit, sew and watch for short short man! Just don't damage any fingers. . .

Carol336
March 8th, 2017, 08:20 AM
ouch.....sounds awful.....hope it heals quickly.

I'm so envious of your trip to Hawaii.....I've always wanted to go, but it seems to be the one place DH has absolutely no desire to travel to. Did you get to hook up with Lorie while you were there

Monique
March 8th, 2017, 08:21 AM
I am glad you both had a wonderful and much needed vacation. Sorry about the booboos. I hope you heel quickly.

Sandy Navas
March 8th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Sending you a new supply of bubble wrap with instructions for daily use and a picture guide showing how to construct bubble wrap boots. Sooooo feeling your pain.

Hulamoon
March 8th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I'm going to send you a pair of flip flops. I'm glad the weather got better for you guys!

seaturtle
March 8th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Glad you were able to squeeze this trip in before the surgery. Sorry to hear about your foot - sounds awful. We have nurses on here - maybe someone will have a suggestion to help with the bleeding to help it heal. Feel better soon!

grammaterry
March 8th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Ah, but memories are made of these things

Iris Girl
March 8th, 2017, 12:32 PM
My mothers dream was to go to Hawaii, she never made it. I would love to go in her honor, but my hubby hates travel. Not to mention finances will not allow it anymore. Sorry about the boo boos. were you walking on hot coals at a luau?

Caroline T.
March 8th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Bubba, were the blisters from too much walking, or did you burn your feet on the hot sand? Either way, I know how painful that is.

I hope despite your owies, you still had a great time.

Simply Quilting
March 8th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Glad that you had a wonderful trip. So sorry to hear about the blisters.

EnumclawGramma
March 8th, 2017, 02:03 PM
So sorry about your blisters. But on the upside....you were in paradise!

This happened to me in Washington DC during a trip DH and I took back in 2006 (last big trip we took, come to think of it). I hiked more than I ever thot I was capable of, and boy did I get the blisters. I hobbled to the local drug store and bought these bandaids that were specifically for blisters. Problem solved! By the next morning I was ready for several more museums.

Not sure when MM's surgery is? But please know, I'm saying a prayer for you guys. Take care of YOU!

bubba
March 8th, 2017, 02:11 PM
I'm so envious of your trip to Hawaii.....I've always wanted to go, but it seems to be the one place DH has absolutely no desire to travel to. Did you get to hook up with Lorie while you were there

No, she is on Kauai and we were on Oahu.

I'm going to send you a pair of flip flops. I'm glad the weather got better for you guys!

I bought a pair of Oofoos while we were there! They have great arch support and it keeps the weight off my heel. If we go anywhere, I will be wearing those and freezing my toes off!

were you walking on hot coals at a luau?

No hot coals. The first day we got there, I was wearing my Mephisto sandals as we walked around. The part your foot rests on is leather. Well, it started pouring buckets of rain and that leather got wet and chafed my feet and that is how I got the start of the blisters, and then add tons of walking on top of it and that did the trick!

Bubba, were the blisters from too much walking, or did you burn your feet on the hot sand? Either way, I know how painful that is.

I hope despite your owies, you still had a great time.

See above.....

I hobbled to the local drug store and bought these bandaids that were specifically for blisters. Problem solved! By the next morning I was ready for several more museums.

Not sure when MM's surgery is? But please know, I'm saying a prayer for you guys. Take care of YOU!

I could not find any of those over there, but as soon as we got home, I put one on. I think the bleeding finally stopped as I slept, but it still hurts real bad. I like those band aids....now it looks like the band aid has a blister, but that is what it's supposed to do. You are only supposed to change it every few days, but because of all that blood, I think I will today just to gently clean it, let it dry out some and then put another on.

Surgery is set for Monday. Thank you!

Hulamoon
March 8th, 2017, 03:06 PM
I have never heard Oofoos. I had to look them up. They look comfy! We have a touristy shopping center down the street that has a shop that sells sandals. I'll check it out next time I go to their farmers market.

bubba
March 8th, 2017, 03:33 PM
I have never heard Oofoos. I had to look them up. They look comfy! We have a touristy shopping center down the street that has a shop that sells sandals. I'll check it out next time I go to their farmers market.

They are very comfy! I know they are pricey, but if they make my legs, back and feet happy, any shoe is worth the price.

EnumclawGramma
March 8th, 2017, 11:11 PM
When I had my painful blister experience I was wearing Doc Marten sandals. They had never failed me. We jokingly call them (everyone in my family owns a pair) "our million mile sandals" because you can walk forever in them. Till DC. $80 sandals. Then I switched to my cheap pink Croc MaryJane shoes. Not a problem one. $20 Sandals. Go figure.

KarenC
March 8th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the tip on the oofoos. I looked at them last time I was out shopping. They looked comfortable.

bubba
March 8th, 2017, 11:35 PM
When I had my painful blister experience I was wearing Doc Marten sandals. They had never failed me. We jokingly call them (everyone in my family owns a pair) "our million mile sandals" because you can walk forever in them. Till DC. $80 sandals. Then I switched to my cheap pink Croc MaryJane shoes. Not a problem one. $20 Sandals. Go figure.

I have had Doc sandals before and loved them! My Mephistos are great, and I still think they are, but because of the leather foot bed, when it gets soaked, it makes bad things happen. I'm sitting here with my foot up, and forgetting what happened, ran to get the phone....bad idea!

Thanks for the tip on the oofoos. I looked at them last time I was out shopping. They looked comfortable.

I have never seen them here at all....only at this one shop on Oahu. It's like walking on marshmallows! I was told they are sold in the PX's, so if you have access to them, you might check, or get them online. I have not checked the prices there yet, but I'm planning on ordering at least one pair!