PDA

View Full Version : votes for women

Divine Daisy
March 5th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Hi hi hiiiiiii

It has been so long since I was on the forum, I have certainly missed people here!

I had an idea last week, and I thought the best place to bring it would be to the old forum. So here goes.......

I would like to propose that we celebrate the centenary of women getting the vote by making a quilt in the suffrage colours for a young woman we love to remind them of the brave women who fought the fight for their rights to be held as equal members of society and the right to vote.

Here in the UK Women got suffrage in 1918, which is next year so British Quilts need to get a wiggle on if they want to join. American women got the vote in 1920, so you have a little longer. I am not sure of the dates for other countries but everyone should be coming up for a centenary?

The colours are purple green and white, so they will all be happy, pretty quilts I think. The shades are so many, you could make a lovely spring coloured quilt or a very dramatic quilt.

What do you think?

sherriequilts
March 5th, 2017, 04:26 AM
I like that idea!! I wonder if any special fabric lines will be released to celebrate ??
Sherrie

MaryUK
March 5th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Hi Daisy, whereabouts are you in West Yorkshire, I live in Shipley.
I wouldn't mind taking part and I have the fabrics in my stash although I would need to get more white. Can we do any design and size as I am still a beginner quilter so a nice easy design would be perfect for me.

Swedish leo
March 5th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Good to see you again. It has been to long.
How are you and how are seamus doing!

I think your Idea is a Great one!

Have a great day/Evening

Annika
:icon_wave:

shirleyknot
March 5th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Why does it have to be purple? I really dislike purple.

Monique
March 5th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Hi Daisy and welcome back. I was just thinking of you the other day.

To clarify your idea, we will each make our own quilt or make a block to contribute to a bigger one? I do like your idea.

Hulamoon
March 5th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Just popping in to say Hi!

MaryD
March 5th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Too late for us. Australian women got the vote in 1902 and New Zealand in the 1890's.

MRoy
March 5th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Why does it have to be purple? I really dislike purple.

Purple is the color associated with the suffrage movement in both Britain and the US.
British suffrage colors - purple, white, and green
American variant - purple, white, and gold.

Hulamoon
March 5th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Purple is the color associated with the suffrage movement in both Britain and the US.
British suffrage colors - purple, white, and green
American variant - purple, white, and gold.

That's an interesting history tidbit. In Hawaii each island has a color associated with it. Kauai is purple.
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/islands-hawaiis-colors-107103.html

Jean Sewing Machine
March 5th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Oh Daisy! So glad to hear from you! I've been thinking of you so often the past few months! Your idea is great! And I LOVE PURPLE! Hope we can all pull this idea together into a reality! As you say, we US gals have a few more years to get this going!

I hope we get to hear from you again and soon and hope you and Stewart and the critters are well!

Anyone who made a quilt using "Lovely"fabric has this colorway covered! I know I made several, and I have a drawer full of leftover scraps from my quilts.

Divine Daisy
March 5th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Hi Mary, I am in Cullingworth.......not far at all!

Divine Daisy
March 5th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Just to clarify, this was a thought I had for many reasons.

Firstly my Aunty Lizzie was a suffragette, in the thick of it and is someone I am very proud of. I knew her well as an old lady and although she was actually my Great Aunt (she was much younger than her siblings) I was very close to her. She took me on my first protest march and I took her on her last as a very very old lady in a wheelchair. She used to call me her apple (which apparently had not fallen far from the tree!)

My thoughts were really just to make a quilt to your own design using the suffrage colours local to you (if you hate purple, often they used lilac if that helps) and to gift it to a young woman you love. It would be nice to collect and perhaps have an album of suffrage quilts but I don't think it could be a communal project for the forum.

If you would like I could do a design for people to follow but I think any block would work in those colours. Some thoughts might be to use a court house steps block in the design somewhere as so many found themselves in court. If you want to make it seriously relevant to the subject, a block that looks like prison bars would be easy enough to design but really my thoughts were to make a celebration of the result and not necessarily the fight.

Lizzie actually continued the fight after women gained the vote because her concern was universal suffrage and not just vote for women over 30 who owned property. Her husband my Uncle John did not have the vote either and it was another 10 years before all adults over the age on 21 were given the vote. They were a partnership, he worked as a miner and she fought the fight. He would bail her out, pay her fines and collect her from prison and nurse her after she was force fed. A true partnership for a joint cause.

So my idea is really to celebrate and honour those who battled for the cause. The quilt label I think would be important and should state the purpose of making it and the reason for gifting it to her. When she was younger, my daughter used to say that she didn't have to fight because those who had gone before her had done so. As she got older she realized that there is still inequality and that the fight continues although the violence is no longer there thank goodness.

sherriequilts
March 5th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Wow, thank you Daisy for sharing such a personal story ... it would have been an honor to meet your great aunt and uncle. Lots to think about and be grateful for those women who came before us. I like the courthouse steps suggestion ... :)
Sherrie

mommadeb
March 5th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Overdue here. 1915 Denmark granted us the right.

MaryUK
March 5th, 2017, 06:02 PM
I think the courthouse steps seems so appropriate and is easy enough for me, I have made the design in Christmas fabrics. Now I come to think of it, I can think of a few young women may appreciate the sentiment behind the quilt. Will definitely put it on my 'to do' list for 2017/18.

SallyO'Sews
March 5th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Glad to have the opportunity to vote! Thanks, Daisy - it's lovely to see you here again. I've been missing your Seamus stories!

lourixe
March 5th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Very interesting project. I am wondering if there are any forum members from Switzerland: they wouldn't make it for the centenary of their right to vote! Spanish widows were able to vote in 1924, universal suffrage was 1931. But there are still so much legal, economical and social discrimination! I definitely know who would make an excellent recipient for such a quilt: a girl my sister occasionally works for. She owns and runs a small local feminist bookstore (https://www.facebook.com/LiladeLilith/). Maybe I can sew her a quilted book cover instead of a large quilt, I am certain she would have the use for it!
The city I now live in has chosen March 8th (Working Women's day) as a local holiday. It has long been an industrial port: as men would spend most of their lives overseas (as emigrants, sailors, fishermen) their wives and kids worked hard in the factories (textile, canneries, tobacco) and really built the city's wealth.

Bouse
March 6th, 2017, 06:45 AM
I have my beautiful and precious niece to make one for. She works in a male dominated industry so I think that it is highly appropriate that I make this for her and explain the reason for it. Thank you for the inspiration and I'll go and look at the block you suggested too.

Star lover
March 6th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Daisy, thank you so much for sharing your story! I love history and so much of it is forgotten as time passes. Especially family history. You should write all your memories down and pass them onto your children. As you stated. Some of the biggest battles are won, but the fight will always continue - no matter what the circumstances. Once were gone, no one can ask us our story and it's gone forever. I've recoded as much as I could from my father, who passed away last year. I put them all down and gave copies to all my sisters and brother hoping he is never forgotten by future generations. He was a remarkable man. You are a remarkable woman and your stories should live on as an encouragement and lessons to future generations. Thank you so much for sharing!