PDA

View Full Version : First Friday of 2012

Blondie
January 6th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Happy First Friday of the year everyone!

Sometimes I wish I could be like our JanG and retire. It is because of Fridays that I totally understand the little boy who said this:

and on many Fridays I have been in this position because of various people with similiar annoying traits:

But the majority of the time I am most like this:

It's Friday! Have a wonderful day folksies ! No biting, scratching, shimmying in trees and for goodness sakes, practice the art of smiling like Ren and Stempy! It's a GREAT day to be alive and kicking! Now remind me of that around 9:45 this morning or at 2:30 this afternoon.

ginampls
January 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM
hello Blondie, and everyone..btw...love rin and stimpy. confused on which is which. i work today then go to my thyroid guy...then home. my goal when i moved back to my moms as to get healthy so i am getting there.. spring i may seriously look for an apt..i miss my own house rules.

love you guys.

Patrice
January 6th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Good Morning! First day back to work for me since Dec 21. and I didn't even sew the entire time I was off. Started getting sick christmas eve and ended up in bed christmas day and stayed there till the following thurs. I guess it was my sinuses..still coughing..That will linger for a couple more weeks..seems like I get sick ever winter..Im just glad I was off work and didn't have to call in I guess. I am already ready for spring and we have actually had a warm december. Hope everyone has a great day!

MRoy
January 6th, 2012, 08:49 AM
TGIF! Only work 4 days this week and I'm already looking for the weekend! LOL! Try to make it a great day everyone!

Granny Judy
January 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Good Morning, everyone!! Up taking care of DD#2. Her knee surgery went well and she's progressing as expected. The Doc put in a "zombie" medial ligament to hold her knee cap in place. She's got the brace and intermittant ice flow bandage on (we keep that ice water flowing so the swelling isn't the reason for pain and suffering). Her main complaint.. "I can't sleep on my back". but that is the only comfortable position for now.

Her Hubby helps alot and keeps giving me breaks. So we all are getting our rest.

Other than that, I try to do some free motion quilting, cook, clean and play here. I used the double slice layer cake method that is in Jenny's tuts.. great twin size with just one pack!! And my stash of Blue & browns to match the Blueberry fabs. I'm getting excited and want it DONE, so I can play with the the bargello pattern.

Ya ALL have a great week-end!! Stay outta trouble.. keep smiling. Makes 'em wonder what you are doin'....

Monique
January 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Good morning everyone.

I am a little tired this morning as I stayed up late last night to get the hand quilting done on the baby quilt. I was able to get the binding on it and will finish it up today. Needs to be ready for tomorrow morning. I will take pictures and post later. I really like how it turned out and hope the silent auction fetches lots of $$$$. Will let you know.

My fingertips are sore from all the hand quilting but at least it is finished.

I just want to let everyone know that I could not be a thief. I can not get safes open. Have had a bugger of a time. Yesterday I was trying to get the safe open and could not, let out a little curse then realized I was in a church. The post office is in the church. So I had to put the kybosh on my potty mouth. I eventually was able to get the safe open with mootcho practice.

This afternoon, I will head to Kingston to my son's. The bridal show is tomorrow. Apparently DIL has dedicated the show to her aunt and to me. All proceeds go to breast cancer. What an honour. I will make her proud.

I will try and check in sometime this weekend. But if I don't you will know why. And I am to meet a friend for lunch on Sunday on my return home.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Bubby
January 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Good Morning!!

Blondie, hang in there and keep smilin'!!! I know the public is no piece of cake to work with and you run in to some real sourpusses....just turn on your sonshine and live in the glow!!!

DH just left for work and I have all day to play and goof off. I should get a package from MSQ today. I bought a luscious quilt backing from the Etchings line the day all yardage was 25% off.....WOW! I have to get back to the sewing machine...DH noticed I haven't been sewing for a couple weeks. He says it scares him when I don't sew...LOL!

Monique, have a wonderful weekend!!

Hugs all around...talk to you later......Barb

LynneLeavell
January 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hi all. First full week back at work since Christmas and boy has it been a long one. Got Sassy Scarlets tonight and Strip Club tomorrow morning at one of my local Quilt shops. This is my favorite weekend. Ok any weekend I can spend with a bunch of other quilters is my favorite. Haven't done much sewing lately but have to get on the ball. My goal this year is to finish the projects that I have already got stuff for. What's so bad is that I keep buying stuff to do so hopefully I can meet this goal. Will keep you informed.

Oh well guess I had better get something done at work today. So everyone have a great day and Happy Friday.

KiltedQuilter
January 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I love that little boy's quote Blondie! ROFL!

After yesterday and the sun now we have rain and grey skies...boo!

Still trying to clean the house(when I am not on here:icon_whistle:).

Beakkmom
January 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Good morning quilty friends ~ life is good again. I had yesterday off work so went to 'quilting circle' and then went to a quilt shop for inspiration. Our Iowa weather is amaizng - 60 degrees (f) yesterday, and warm again today! This morning we had the most amaizng sunrise - can't wait to see what wonders today holds!

Blessings!

Lin

Sandy Navas
January 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM
QUILTING FRUSTRATIONS

by Cindy Thury Smith 1986

First I lost my thimble and stuck the needle into my thumb—
Then I figured the yardages wrong, so I’m short, how dumb!
And I can’t understand this piecing diagram ‘cuz my brain’s gone numb—
Sometimes quilting just doesn’t pay.

Now the tension’s goofed up on my sewing machine—
The four yards I bought aren’t the right shade of green—
And how am I to get Grandmother’s unfinished quilt top clean?

I’ve pressed under bias until my fingers are all burnt—
Can’t quite remember that finishing tip I thought I’d learnt—
Tried to do an edge in scallops, but they weren’t—

I’ve sewed on this quilt for what seems like a hundred weeks—
Bringing my quilting skills to a new sewing peak—
And, surprisingly, getting pretty close to the design I seek—
Well, maybe quilting’s not so bad.

Hey, I’ve finally got it on the quilting frame—
As I bend over and stitch my back will never be the same—
In the corner I’ll label it with the date and my name—
Well, maybe quilting’s not so bad.

Now it’s proudly displayed in all its pomp and glory—
Conveniently forgotten is how its construction was slightly hoary—
Currently I’m telling the “masterpiece of needleart” story—
Yeah, I guess quilting’s not so bad.

cyndiofthevortex
January 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone,

Great poem, Sandy. It reminds me of having babies and forgetting about the pain after the birth. Except for me and my 10lb son - I swore then I'd never forget that and I never will. Ouch! (Ha! I typoed the word "sore" insead of "swore"! See? I was telling the truth - I will never forget, even unconsciously!)

I feel so dull in the morning so sometimes I don't write. The whole day ahead of me and nothing interesting to say! So how about I tell you about yesterday? I bought the Daily Deal and I can't wait to get it! I was selling on ebay years ago and I sold all the fabrics I had in those colors from Benartex and I've regretted it ever since. So now I have a quilt packet coming to replace my regret!

I went to my favorite quilt dealer yesterday and picked up a walking foot for my Viking Megaquilter (boy do I love that machine) and there was a 50% off deal for the whole store (they'd been picked Viking Dealer of the Year or some great award) so I picked up a package of Quilter's Dream batting, double size for $9. I've been wanting to try it. It's all cotton with only 1% shrinkage!

Today I will continue to work on the Polka Dot Swap blocks. I will NOT put them off until the last minute! This is one project I will work on non-stop (no other projects butting in to distract me) until all 30 blocks are done. I picked a gorgeous red-orange, a color I love but find hard to put into quilts. It just screams, "Look at me! Look at me!" so I don't use it much. (Got a great bunch of it though just in case I really do need it.) I've been very much enjoying playing with the block with that pretty color.

I hope everyone has a happy and blessed day today.

Cyndi

oldgurl4
January 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Good Morning ~Blonde Sunshine~

I LUV REN & STIMPY!! And that is one of my Favorite CHANTS Too!!
:icon_mooooh: “Happy-Happy!!.... Joy-Joy! ” haa,haa

:icon_rolleyes: Auuugghhhh….. I feel like the 2nd PICTURE…..Ohhhh Yeahhhhh!!!
I REFUSE to Give Up on Life.... Just when you think there is CALM.... :icon_stunned:The STORM is Hiding right Around the CORNER!
But I'll Stand FIRM Like a TREE with My Roots Firmly Grounded in the Earth.
I AM Strong... and so are You.:icon_tup:

What ever it is my Dear Sunshine you are going thru just remember that in SPIRIT You have Us next to you hugging Ya….Everything will come to PASS and so will this. :icon_kiss:

Thank-God!! I have my little space(sewing pen) to hide and play.

Hi ! ~Gina~….. Well,
Ren is the little Chihuahua and Stimpy is the Fat Cat.
Wish you well with your DR. visit. I know what you mean by the Rules!.... Ones you leave your parents home(and their Rules)….
IT WILL NEVER EVER BE THE SAME!.... AMEN TO THAT!!
I’ll be praying for you to find a GOOD, SAFE & Affordable place. I ya need Help Let Me Knoww…I’m Good At GOOGLE MAPS!!... LOL
Just tell Me where in the World You wanna Move Too? K?

Friends and Family use to joke with Me when a educational cartoon series came out called…”Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_in_the_World_Is_Carmen_Sandiego%3F

~Patrice~ I FEEL YA!!...... I have a good home remedy for The Throat….
It’s INGREDIENTS Are: 1PART LEMON—1PART Wht. VINAGER and Honey(Yeahhhh…. NASTY! brew I Agree) But It will burn the %&@%$* “Germs” out of your THROAT!... FUR SURE!! FUR SURE!!
DIRECTIONS: Have one or two table spoons and refrigerate the rest… REPEAT as needed.

~Myrna~ Heyyy…Me too Only 4 Days…. No One can Understand My Schedule. Just Glad to get Long Weekend Off….
:icon_mooooh: “Happy-Happy Sewww-Sewww” LOL

~Judy~ U Are an ANGEL in DISGUIZE!
Thank-You I Will enjoy every Stitching Moment..

~Monique~ Your Spanish is Improving GURL! Just rollllll dose Rrrrrrr’s a little more. .....puker the lip... M-mmmm- Uuuu-CH-O......Haa-haa
You Are HILARIOUS!!...Haa..Haa…
REALLY! DIL is sewww Sweet to do this!...Howw SPECIAL You Must Feel!! Wow!
Yes! Please I luv your Pics wanna see EVERYTHING You just mentioned(well Almost everything) Enjoy!

To…Bubby; Lynne; KiltedQ; Beakkmom…. Nice to see Ya All!!

May Everyone….. Enjoy a Lovely Weekend and Enjoy every Precious Moment of each Day.

~Warm Hugs too You All~

oldgurl4
January 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Sandy and Cindy I was typing when you gurlz sent your messages.
Indeed a funny Poem Sandy....But so Much Truth to it.
And it just proves that what I meantiond on My Previous reply in the top....that all will Pass and We Forget.
We are just one GEnormous CIRCLE!
Aren't We?

~Cindy~ OUCH!!! 10 Lbs!!!...DANG!!!
Seee.....and it PASSED!!! Just like a Kidney Stone!!(Don't Ask!)
And now you look back and laugh about it...(well and have something to remember EVERY DAY TOO) Hee-hee
As for the Polka Dots SWAP....That's the SPIRIT!! Don't Let enything Distract You.

I Voluteer to Be A CHEERLEADER!....
We got to get E'M

~~~M-O-V-I-N-G!~~~
Sayyyyyy....
I GOT AN idea!!
Follow Me to the Swap Thread.

See Ya there!

HandsOffItsMine
January 6th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Morning all!

Cyndi, my Mom was 5'1" with her hair teased, 95 lbs. before pregnant...me 9 lbs. 14 ounces 23" long. Needless to say only child, she would have had four girls she said if she could have bought them at Montgomery Wards. LOL

Yesterday I stopped at the Brother dealer and looked again at the machines, without selling my kidney everything seemed to be 5x7 embroidery area and I need larger for my illustrations. My Rose (sales person/teacher) had just opened an Innov-Is 5000 yesterday, she hadn't even made a sample on it yet. It does 7x12, I can do a storyboard on it. Haha! I got it for a good price plus a store credit for whatever I choose. We get to pick it up today. So excited!! Eventhough I lost a kidney. :o You should have seem DH's face, I could just see his brain thinking "I could have picked up a fixer upper classic car for that price." See...But Ruby would have absolutely no fun what so ever with that project! :D

First I'm making a run to FabricMart which is near the sewing center, I need so fabric for a Curves Scrapping Quilt class I'm taking soon.

Cyndi, let us know how that batting works out. I've seen that brand here on the island for a decent price. Was too scared to buy it since it was 100% cotton.

Well folks, have a great day. Prayers for all.

Ruby

Divine Daisy
January 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Blondie's little boy quote sounds like Heather when she was playing a lot of field hockey:- Me.......did you have a good match? Heather:- Not bad, didn't get sent off till after half time

CrazyMtnLady
January 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Happy Friday everyone. I won't have a computer this weekend. :( we only have a laptop and my DH has a gun show in Mountain Home Arkansas and will be taking the computer with him. He likes to be able to look up guns for pricing and such. So I will be all alone all weekend to clean and sew.... YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!

Will catch up with everyone on Monday.

Have a great weekend.

sewmuchjan
January 6th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Good Morning quilty friends,

Day 6 of retirement and I am going to take the shop vac to the airtight stove and play "Cinder Jan"!! :(
Yesterday I cleaned and got up dust and spider webs chucked a bunch of stuff that should of been chucked years ago!!:icon_rolleyes:. Tuesday I drove into town and picked up my last paycheck and I paid all the bills and got stocked up on some grub and things then I stopped at Walmart to check out any sewing stuff. So sad that Walmart has cut the fabric and etc down to almost nothing!!! :icon_cry: BUT I did get a Fiskars Rotating cutting mat 14x14 and a new rotary cuter and some batting!! :icon_woot: so all was not lost!!! :D

Well any whoooo I have to go play with some old ashes and dust!!! :icon_cry: Oh Cinder Jany Oh Cinder Jany!!!!! :icon_evil: No I don't have any Ugly Step-Sisters or Step Mother!!!! :icon_giggle:

Everyone have wonderful day and smile like our Blondie tells us.
I will be around....right over there at the stove!!!! :icon_arrow:

Love and Hugs and Prayers for you all.
Jan G

quiltingtrish
January 6th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Hi everyone~~~~~
Not much going on here. I'm sure glad it's Friday though. MUST get busy and get the Christmas things away - Odie and Katie gone and the Holiday here is over so I guess we'll get back to some kind of normal.

Some kind of normal - even the weather is weird. It was 57 in the shade today! That's so rare - no ice on the rivers - no snow - I'll take it!!

Just DS David home with me tonight so think we'll do Chinese take-out. Besides, I'll be busy doing Christmas put-a-way. No time to cook. It will be a treat since we hardly ever eat something that's not off the stove. I'll be enjoying every bite and he probably will too.

Hope you all have a great night.
Hugs,

Loonwatcher
January 6th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Hi All,

Blondie[B] I don't know how any of your customers could possibly be surly; after just a minute or two with you and your happy smily face they have to be cheered up. We all are.

[B]Monique, have a great weekend. I'm sure you quilt will bring in lots at the auction.

Sandy great poem.

Okay, who had the 10 lb. baby! OMG! I nearly died with a 6 1/2 lb'r. He was 6 weeks early. I said I kicked him out because there was no more room at the inn. I was in labor for 4 days and exhausted by the time he came. The only pain I remember is the back labor I had for the first 3 days. All that said, we did try to have another but God didn't bless us. It took 7 years just to get Cory. I say he's my miracle baby and we're lucky to have him.

My day started out like crap....had to go have my pre-annual physical blood work done. And of course I'm scared of needles. Well after about a half hour, two nurses and five sticks they finally found a vein and got some blood. They were about to tell me to go to the lab at the hospital and have them do it. Can you say "human pin cushion"?

This weekend I need to get my blocks done for guild next week and start making up some inventory for my Etsy shop (currently empty because I snitched everything for Christmas presents). I also have to get some fabric for a Kwilt Kamp I'm going to at the end of February. It's going to be a mystery quilt. Last month she told us the yardage we'd need. I think soon she'll be giving us some cutting instructions so we can get that done ahead of time. Then, I think, the rest of the instructions will come one step at a time at camp. I can't wait. I've never been to a quilt camp before. It's a Friday night through Sunday afternoon event at a state owned lodge. We've booked the whole lodge - nothing but quilters, sewing and fun. Someone said she's bringing her snowshoes to for breaktime. I think I'll go that too. I never go snowshoeing any more because I don't have anyone to go with and at my age I don't trust myself out in the snowy woods by myself.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

oldgurl4
January 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Ohh! Nancy.... That sound like sewww Much Fun!!
Keep Me in SPIRIT on your Kwilt Camp...Pwwweeaseee !
LOL...LOL
Let Me Add that to My "Bucket List" before the thought decides to Fly awayyyy...
#456- Join a Kwilt Camp

Yeeeaah I like to start the New Year right away with my Medical testings ...Pockings and Pin Cushions..too!
I ended last year with the Booby Flattner!...DANG!....
I almost LEFT there FLATCHESTED!

Coming Monday is my Gurly Visit......I Now...TMI Right!
Sorry!!!

Just rying to stay in the Subject!....

Well My Beautiful Cyber Family.....
I must leave for today and possibly....POSSIBLYyyyyy NOT IMPOSIBLE ....AIGHT!!!
for tomorrow...
I have 30 Blocks to work on...You all Probably heard by Now of the New Swap....sooo

Have a Good Nite...Sleep Tight!
Don't Let the Fabric Moths Bite!!

Seriously!!!