PDA

View Full Version : Florida here I come!!

MaryUK
March 4th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Well I had wanted my first trip to America to be New England but decided it would be fun to have a holiday with the whole family so we have booked 2 weeks in July/August. I know it will be really hot but we have to plan around the British schools summer holidays which starts the end of July until the first week in September. I am sooooo excited!!!

We are having 8 days in Orlando and 6 days at Indian Shores. DH is constantly googling steak houses while I am looking for fabric shops (of course), I keep telling him we don't have the variety of layer cakes etc here that you do so I am allowed a get a small amount (define small dear husband)!! The problem I have is finding a shop or two close by!!

Any help with this would be gratefully received!! We are staying on I Drive.

Monique
March 4th, 2017, 08:25 AM
May I suggest you use this site:

https://www.quiltinghub.com/

Kgrammiecaz
March 4th, 2017, 02:00 PM
How exciting. You will have a wonderful time. I live in Orlando but on the east side, so I am about 40 minutes from International Drive. It is a busy place, so I do not go there often at all unless we are visiting an attraction with visitors.

There is a quilt shop about 20 minutes, http://wanderingstitches.com/. I have not been to it. Check out their website. Looks like it is a large store. I just might have to check it out myself some day.

Have a safe and fun trip. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

RockinLou
March 4th, 2017, 02:21 PM
How exciting. You will have a wonderful time. I live in Orlando but on the east side, so I am about 40 minutes from International Drive. It is a busy place, so I do not go there often at all unless we are visiting an attraction with visitors.

There is a quilt shop about 20 minutes, http://wanderingstitches.com/. I have not been to it. Check out their website. Looks like it is a large store. I just might have to check it out myself some day.

Have a safe and fun trip. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

This was going to be my suggestion, one of my best friends teaches a class there every month where you just sit and sew with a bunch of lovely ladies! Ten years ago we were in a different location and they even threw me a bridal shower when they found out my Mom refused to do so because she didn't approve of my fiancee. (Ha! We're still married, so I proved her wrong... but that's besides the point)

Anyway it is a bit of a haul from I-drive but it is a nice shop, they are a Bernina dealer too. There are some others in the area too, but I haven't lived there in about 8 years now, so I don't recall what is still open.

SallyO'Sews
March 5th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Have a wonderful time in Florida, Mary! And next time you cross the pond, do come to New England - we have LOTS of lovely quilt shops for you to peruse, and plenty of steak houses for your DH, too! :D

alliek
March 5th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Enjoy Florida, I hope it won't be very uncomfortable for you. You can always duck into somewhere and cool off. I would be so excited to have a two week holiday also. I've been to London once, and just LOVED IT. I wanted to tour Britain but we did not have the time. Maybe someday! God Bless. ENJOY!!!!!:icon_tup:

MaryUK
March 6th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Thank you for your kind words and advice, I am determined to get to New England as it's always been a dream of mine - maybe next year if I can convince DH that using our precious savings will be worth it - its only because he would rather go to the beach in the summer than anywhere in the autumn!!

A bit nearer the time I will get the maps out to see which place is within easy reach. Thanks Monique for the link it could prove invaluable!!

Bouse
March 6th, 2017, 06:29 AM
I know that Jo-Anns isn't the favourite for everyone but it's quite different from anything we have here in the UK. I don't know exactly where it is but we found one not too far from the parks. If you are looking for something different to do, we went to the rodeo on a Friday evening in Kissimmee. It was great fun for the adults and kids to watch. Have a fabulous time.

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
March 6th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Hi,

I live in Inverness, Fl which is about an hour half from Orlando. We have a couple quilts here. If you feel like getting out of Otlando for a day I would love for you and hubby to come my way. We could good shopping, have lunch, or dinner.

Let me know if your interested or think you might be and I will email you my address and phone number.

Pam