PDA

View Full Version : Some days it just doesn't pay to open the curtains or answer the door.

BobW
March 4th, 2017, 12:46 AM
I did get some good news and had lunch with a friend. I saw the Cardiologist today and I don't have to go back for six months unless I have a problem. EKG was good, blood work good. The vasodilator seems to be doing the job. End of good news for the day.

This was coffee day for the Nit-Wits. Floyd and Diana were absent and so we checked on them. Diana's 90 year old mom has been having problems with back pain and she has been losing weight. The doctors told them this morning her mom has advanced cancer.

Then one of our Nit-Wit friends Marian has a three year old granddaughter who has been fighting Leukemia for the past year or so. She was finally healthy enough we thought they were going to be able to do the bone marrow transplant. It was scheduled for Monday. Marians daughter called her and said the hospital was discharging Rielly tomorrow and the doctors say at this point they think she will only live another three months. (I know the docs are only making an educated guess).

Then my sister-in-law called and told me my brother is in the hospital getting IV's due to dehydration and a severe infection. He finished a fourth round of chemo and a third round of radiation this week.

And the icing on the cake (and this is the most insignificant of all the above) I decided to retreat to my sewing room and piece some blocks. I still had a few boxes to unpack of quilting materials and supplies. All my templates such as the 4 & 5" squares, a couple of straight edges and a number of others seem to be lost in my move.

Tomorrow will be a better day. My friend I had lunch with is going to take me to St. Louis tomorrow to IKEA (I've never been to one) and we will have lunch in the city.

Some days it just doesn't seem to be safe to talk with people. Please keep me in your thoughts and I know I'll make it through all this.

Dare I challenge fate and say at this point the day only has less than two and a half hours left.

Heather
March 4th, 2017, 12:56 AM
Bob, I'm glad your news was good, but am sorry about your family and friends battling cancer. That made for a tough day.
I'm excited for you to go to Ikea! There are tons of sewing room and quilting hacks using Ikea products. You should google if before you go, you might find something inspiring.

Hulamoon
March 4th, 2017, 12:56 AM
I'm happy to hear about your better health. Sorry to hear about your friends though. I will keep them in my thoughts.

Have fun at Ikea. It's a maze and they actually have maps how to get out of there. lol They have a restaurant there serving Swedish foods. If you want to check that out.

You will find your templets, just relax and enjoy for the day :)

grammaterry
March 4th, 2017, 01:23 AM
I'm glad your health is better and really that counts for the most so you'll have the strength to help the others. Bless you Bob

CraftyJnet
March 4th, 2017, 01:30 AM
Bob, I'm sorry to say you have had a very bad day. That's an awful lot to take in during one day. I hope you go to sleep soon and get a good night's rest.

stationarymom
March 4th, 2017, 02:03 AM
Bob it's good to hear from you and to hear good news at that.I'm sorry about the bad news you received about your brother and friends,I will keep you and your's in my prayers.Hang in there and have fun at Ikea(wear walking shoes)

Kgrammiecaz
March 4th, 2017, 02:17 AM
Yikes. Sometimes life just kicks us in the butt. I am happy to hear you are doing well. Keep going back to sewing room, it is good for your health too. So sorry for family and friends going through rough times. Being there for them is good.

K. McEuen
March 4th, 2017, 02:18 AM
boB, aren't you closer to Kansas City than St. Louis? The only reason I ask is I have been tempted to stop at the Ikea in KC each time I am driving home from the retreat.

I hope that all the medical issues you and your friends are having work out for the best.

Simply Quilting
March 4th, 2017, 02:24 AM
I am glad to hear that you got a good report on your health. Prayers for your friends and their families.

Enjoy your trip to IKEA tomorrow and as Lorie said it is a maze. The one that I go to is a once you get in, you have to go all the way through the whole store whether you want to or not.

MRoy
March 4th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Bob, I'm glad you got good news about your health and sad about the bad news concerning your family and friends. Prayers for strength and comfort for all. Enjoy your day out!

Bubby
March 4th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Bob....I'm so sorry to hear of all the bad news....these things seem to come in bunches for some reason. Your good report on your tests is wonderful. I will keep all of your friends/family in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy your trip to IKEA and hopefully your templates will show up.

Sandy Navas
March 4th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Grab an electric wheel chair as you head into IKEA. The one in KC takes you over about 15 football fields - through a maze. Be safe and have fun. Sorry for all the bad news.

JCY
March 4th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Bob, it was good to see your post. I'm glad you received a good report from the dr. Sorry about the troubles your friends are having. It seems like there is trouble all around us. I've been to only one IKEA when I visited my son in the Seattle area several yrs. ago. Huge place! My LQS owners bought all new display table units for their machines & some other equipment at IKEA a couple yrs. ago. They really spruced up their store. Another quilt store bought all her tables for her classroom from IKEA. That have a lot of neat stuff. Enjoy your outing. I hope getting into some sewing projects will help. Have a good day.

seaturtle
March 4th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Bob, sorry to hear of all the troubles for your family and friends. Hugs and prayers for them. Glad to hear your health is doing better. Enjoy your trip to IKEA. I, too, have never been to one so I don't have any advice to offer. However, the Swedish food in their cafe sounds like a real treat - enjoy!

Lacey
March 4th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Bob, I am glad you have good news about your health but so sorry about your friends and their families. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way. You will like IKEA, they have so many nice things for the home and a delicious restaurant with yummy Swedish meatballs and other good foods.

Star lover
March 4th, 2017, 03:08 PM
So sorry for all the bad stuff going on. But happy you have a clean bill of health! Enjoy you visit. Never been to IKEA, maybe I'm missing something?

Iris Girl
March 4th, 2017, 03:57 PM
So happy your test results are good Bob. Sorry to here about all the bad news. I know exactly how you feel we have had 2 days of bad news. Not earth shattering but stuff that stresses you and makes you scramble. Our tax preparer and financial planner apparently forgot to hit the send button on our taxes...when I questioned where they were after 3 weeks he said he would look into it. the next day after work I call to see what happened all he will say is IRS never got it. I got a bit irate because he should have by that time corrected the problem and resent it. When I asked if he had done that he said no, no I have not. Again my temper flared. but come on you are dealing with refund money we were waiting on and he has done this for 15 years for us. He gave me a song and dance about how old he is (71) and has a heart condition and had prostrate cancer. All well and fine but what about my taxes??? He said apparently I was not happy with him and he was sending all our stuff back we can find someone else. Next email was call the investment firm and have me taken off as your advisor.....??>^$$ Oh great cop out. today we learn our garbage pickup is changing and a different company not the landlord will be doing ...and they will only take garbage . no recycleables , used motor oils furniture or yard debris. Plus my sons jeep is do inspection this month and needs some work...tax refund where are you? I have calmed down and know it will all work out and be better but did not need all this stress now.

Anna Leigh
March 4th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Yikes, thats rough!

Don't worry about the quilting supplies they will show up in the least expected place and you will laugh about it.

As for Ikea. Do wear the most comfortable shoes you own. I wore high heels. Bad idea. It took my daughter and I 2 1/2 hours to get through our closest one. The food is really good but the pop/soda/cola is awful.

cv quilter
March 4th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Bob, God Bless You!!! You certainly did NOT have a good day. So sorry. I am happy for the good news. Your health is so important and glad it is looking good. Those missing items from your move will turn up. Hang in there, Bob.

snippet
March 5th, 2017, 01:42 AM
Yeah, that was a sucky day. But so glad your dr visit had good news. Hope you can find those rulers & templates.

Also, go to the bathroom BEFORE you trek through IKEA. With their maze concept, it's not easy to find a restroom when you are in the middle of the store. Get a wheelchair/scooter. It is a LOT of walking. I thought my first time that it wouldn't be a problem because I'll just walk on past all the parts I am not interested in and not go into that department. It's still a LOT of walking, because it's a maze and you are walking through each and every department.

Hope the weekend is better for you and your friends!

Bouse
March 6th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Glad you're keeping well. This has been a difficult start to the month for so many people. I've heard about 3 deaths in two days. Hopefully March really will be in like a lion and out like a lamb.

BobW
March 6th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Glad you're keeping well. This has been a difficult start to the month for so many people. I've heard about 3 deaths in two days. Hopefully March really will be in like a lion and out like a lamb.

From your lips . . .

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2017, 05:39 PM
What did you think of Ikea?

PatinValrico
March 6th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Life is full of rainstorms, my friend. We shall be your big umbrella. Peace be with you. Hugs from Florida :icon_hug:

jjkaiser
March 6th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Oh Bob, geez there's sure a lot going on with you right now. I am so happy to hear your good news from the doctor. You must be so relieved. Sorry to hear about your friends though but don't let their news trigger a guilt trip because yor news was good! Have fun at Ikea, they are opening one in my town spring of 2018, I can't wait. My advice is write down exactly whete you park! Their parking lot is gigantic, you dont wanna be lugging all your goodies all over the place!