PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird check in

Carolnnc
February 26th, 2017, 03:01 PM
One in ten of us is an up-at-dawn, raring-to-go early bird, or lark. About two in ten are owls, who enjoy staying up long past midnight. The rest of us, those in the middle, are hummingbirds.
I wish I was a lark, I really do. I love the thought of seeing the dawn break, hearing the birds singing their waking call, smelling the early morning air, planning for a busy day. I think I'll be a lark in my next life when I come back tall, rich, flat chested and blond.
But, I am a hummingbird. I am accepting my hummingbird life this time around. I get quite a lot done during my day which usually starts at 10 or 11 am and finishes around 11pm. The animals have been fed and watered. I picked daffodils and wandered around the yard to look for the newspaper. I've just finished breakfast and am working on my second cup of coffee while I decide what to do today. I have to do a quick clean of the quilt cave and then cut fabric for a table runner. There's a hockey game on to watch/listen to while I flip through the quilting books I found at the thrift store yesterday. Dinner is enchiladas and then hubby and I will settle in to watch Scandal on Netflix. That gives me a chance to work on either a quilt binding or some embroidery.
How many hummingbirds are there on the board? Do you feel guilty that you just can't get going at the crack of dawn? What are your plans for the day?

grandma nurse
February 26th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Definitely a hummingbird. Before retirement many mornings were started at 4:30 am. Yes mornings were beautiful but was I ever tired by evenings. No energy to enjoy much after work. I'm up at 8 but not really going before 10 and I am comfortable with that. At first I felt guilty that I didn't put in enough working time but no longer feel like that. I'm 70 with back pain and mobility issues and don't feel like I have to please anyone but myself. My afternoons are for me and my sewing room. I usually am putting up my stuff by 4:30 and time to think about fixing a meal, a fast and easy one. Bedtime is 9:30 or so. I have learned that if my body says it doesn't want to do or go someplace, it is ok to rest or just stay at home. I love being a hummingbird!

jjkaiser
February 26th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Me? I detest early morning! If it is so dark out you need to turn lights on it is too early to get up! I usually get up at 7:30 and go to bed at midnight or 1 due to many years being a second shift worker. Recent changes at work now have me working some days at 6:30 a.m. Ugh!! How I hate that shift!! It's one thing to be up at 6:30 quite another thing to be actually on the job at that hour!

shirleyknot
February 26th, 2017, 04:13 PM
I can never sleep past 5AM unless I'm really sick. Farmers daughter syndrome. But I see a lot of beautiful sunrises.

Judy, USMC
February 26th, 2017, 05:18 PM
I switch between being a hummingbird and a night owl (depending on what's on my schedule) with very little effort. After 20+ years of being a lark when I was on active duty I was soooo ready for a change. I especially enjoy sunsets on a nice summer evening.

Today is packing for another week trip to the beach - and I have my EPP Kit ready to go!

Carol336
February 26th, 2017, 05:28 PM
I'm a lark - usually up by 5 or 6, sometimes even earlier. However it's my quiet time....have coffee, check email, Fb, this forum and the daily deal, maybe do a little online banking. Like Gramma Nurse I used to feel guilty for not hitting the floor running, but I got over that a long time ago. I'm 72 and I've worked long hours enough in my life - time to kick back and take it easy. I wish I could sleep later, but whenever I do happen to I feel like half the day is gone.

Iris Girl
February 26th, 2017, 05:38 PM
I am a lark. Up every morning by 4 or 5 am. Gotta get hubby ready and off to work by 6. It is our quiet time for tea and coffee and my computer time for banking, online games and this forum. By 3 in the afternoon I am winding down and enjoy a quiet time afternoon. After work I grab a snack and usually relax watching food network until time to get dinner going. We are in bed by 8 and usually asleep by 9 unless something very very interesting is on TV. If I stay in bed later the 5 am I get a headache and also feel like I am playing catch up all day for time lost.

MaryUK
February 26th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I don't know what I am. Tuesday - Friday I have to be up for work by 6am but will go to bed anytime between 11 and midnight. Saturday - Monday I am up between 7.30 and 8 am but will go to bed after midnight, sometimes as late as 1.30. So don't know if I am a night owl, a hummingbird or just a 'daft bird'!!!!

Navy Wife
February 26th, 2017, 10:22 PM
I'm a Hummingbird now. I used to be a Lark when I was raising kids and had a Hubby to get off to work. I was up at 6, got everyone ready and off by 7, and walked 2 miles. By 7:30 I was having my second cup of coffee and finishing the newspaper. Now I'm up sometime between 8 and 9, coffee and catching up on the computer, go to the gym 3 days a week. By noon, I'm worn out! But then, I used to be 40, 50, or 60! Now I'm almost 80, and the body and mind don't work as well as they used to!

Hulamoon
February 26th, 2017, 10:27 PM
I'm a rooster. I had to go to work at 4 am to open the hotel bakery. I had a cop pull me over asking where I was going. I wish I could of thought to say to make you donuts. lol

And it was a hours drive so I had to get up at three.

bubba
February 26th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Before I retired, I was up between 0545 and 0600 six days a week and normally up till about 2330 or midnight. With all that's going on in my life right now, as soon as my head hits the pillow my brain wakes up, my eyes pop open and I am wide awake, whether I've taken a sleeping pill or not. I'm lucky if I fall asleep by 0300. Then I wake up several times after having terrible dreams of MM dying during his surgery. The last one was they found the cancer had spread to his brain. So please, sleep for me. Hopefully I will get some good naps in on the beach.

Carlie Wolf
February 27th, 2017, 12:16 AM
I'm mostly an owl. I go through spurts in Spring and summer when I switch to a lark. I can go weeks waking at 4 to 5:30AM. Either way I get most things done between 10AM and 1PM. That's my most creative time. I go through another spurt from 8PM to 11PM.
I always, always sleep between 3 and 5 or 6PM. I don't take cat naps, I take panther naps LOL. Is there a bird that sleeps during the late day???

grammaterry
February 27th, 2017, 12:47 AM
I guess I'm a silly bird...Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, I'm up at 9am and bed at 3am. I get up at 5am every morning to go to the bathroom and look out at the day and then I go back to bed for a couple more hours. OnThursday thru Sunday, I'm up at 8:30 am and bed by 1:30 am. Still up at 5 for a bathroom and weather check. If its cold, I'mup every couple of hours to feed the fire.

Bubby
February 27th, 2017, 01:50 AM
I'm a lark by habit but I would prefer to be a hummingbird. For most of my life my jobs required me to be up and ready to go in the wee hours. Since I don't function well when I first get up, I always had to add an additional hour to my morning to get used to the idea of being up. I got up super early for so many years that I've continued that habit even since I retired. Jeff leaves for work at 6 am and I get up before him to make coffee, pack his lunch, empty the dishwasher and take the Girls outside. Olive is a Lark for sure but Dottie is a hummingbird. Jeff says he's a bald eagle, so there you have it!

peggiep
February 27th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Most times I am a lark, but also an owl...and oh how I wish I could be a hummingbird on occasion. I am always up at 5 even after I retired, but since DH is definitely an owl, it is my quiet time. I watch the morning news, have a coffee, walk the dog, feed the cats and sometimes sit on the couch and go back to sleep, but not often. Most days, I get dinner ready for the crockpot by 8 a.m., do the cleaning and manage to get into the quilting cave around 10 and stay until 5:15. Dinner is always on the table by 6 and I go to bed at 11:30, but I usually read until at least 1 a.m. I see both the sunrise and the sunset and I enjoy them both!

Star lover
February 27th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I'm a lark. Up every weekday at 4 am. Weekends I just can't sleep in! We get up, I fix a full breakfast for my dh and I. Off to work he goes. Then I get all the housework, laundry, etc done AND then it's free time. Usually. If so, I sew, sew, sew. Do larks sing while they work? If so, I sing! Or at least I listen to some kind of music. Ain't life beautiful?!

KPH
February 27th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Hummingbird here, and glad to not wake at 5 anymore. Retirement is grand!

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
February 27th, 2017, 10:55 AM
I am a lark. I could so easily be a hummingbird if it weren't for my sleep disorders.

Carolnnc
February 27th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I'm mostly an owl. I go through spurts in Spring and summer when I switch to a lark. I can go weeks waking at 4 to 5:30AM. Either way I get most things done between 10AM and 1PM. That's my most creative time. I go through another spurt from 8PM to 11PM.
I always, always sleep between 3 and 5 or 6PM. I don't take cat naps, I take panther naps LOL. Is there a bird that sleeps during the late day???

I just had to check and penguins take afternoon naps:) The article said it's very hard to wake them so I think the panther reference was spot on!

Carolnnc
February 27th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Hummingbird here, and glad to not wake at 5 anymore. Retirement is grand!

Agreed! I am definitely a much happier human since retirement.

Carolnnc
February 27th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Before I retired, I was up between 0545 and 0600 six days a week and normally up till about 2330 or midnight. With all that's going on in my life right now, as soon as my head hits the pillow my brain wakes up, my eyes pop open and I am wide awake, whether I've taken a sleeping pill or not. I'm lucky if I fall asleep by 0300. Then I wake up several times after having terrible dreams of MM dying during his surgery. The last one was they found the cancer had spread to his brain. So please, sleep for me. Hopefully I will get some good naps in on the beach.

Pat, the beach is such a restorative place for me. Prayers that you will get to sleep deeply and restfully. Nightmares and not being able to sleep is the worst. Hugs to you and hubby.

Carlie Wolf
February 27th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Carolnnc, OMG, amazing there is a bird that takes solid sound naps!! I'll have to read up on them LOL Having to take naps is one of the consistent things in my life. I have always been almost totally useless between 3 and 6 PM even since childhood. Office working was extremely hard because of it. Fortunately for most of my life I worked from home or was subcontractor and could make my own hours.

auntiemern
February 27th, 2017, 03:05 PM
I think I must be a humming owl. I am usually up til way past midnight, and sleep until between 10 ad 12. I have gone to bed earlier a few nights with this bout of shingles, and my whole way of sleeping has had to adjust. The meds make me tired, and after a couple days of dealing with the pain, I am just worn out. (The current med combo is helping). I have never been a lark. I am a firm believer that it should be illegal to get up before the sun does. I don't know how anyone does that. It is like getting up in the middle of the night. I also take 2-3 hr naps occasionally too...just the nature of all I have going on. But I do manage to get my sewing in there as well.

threadbndr
February 27th, 2017, 04:26 PM
By my own 'normal', I'm a night owl. But I'm forced by a long commute into Lark hours. I have to be on the road by 6 am to make it to work before the traffic gets terrible.

In some ways, I can't wait until I retire in a couple of years. No more sunrises for this gal unless I want them LOL.

mommadeb
February 27th, 2017, 05:23 PM
I am a night owl. So many years of working 3rd shift I guess. I wish I could night owl all the time but I have a day job and have to get up. :icon_bah: Morning is for roosters!

My brain is a hummingbird though. The attention span of a squirrel.

Anna Leigh
February 28th, 2017, 02:09 AM
I am starting to turn into a lark. My job has me up and going at four in the morning and I am even waking up at that time on my days off. No rest for the wicked lol.

Granny Judy
February 28th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Humming bid status for me... with an owl back ground. Worked 2nd and 3rd shift in nursing all my adult life... so I am loving retirement. I get to take naps whenever I need or want them.

SallyO'Sews
March 1st, 2017, 02:05 PM
I am a hummingbird, with night owl leanings. My big sister is a morning lark. She is smart, beautiful, caring, generous, successful, takes excellent care of her health, and is overall just a lovely person. You would love her. I want to be like her when I grow up (I'm 61, btw).

Morning larks scare me. Just sayin'. :D