PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Knocking Off

toggpine
February 21st, 2017, 06:31 AM
I managed to spend most of the drizzly day in the sewing room.
I finished my sisters microwaveable slippers. (Let's hope she doesn't set this pair on fire!) I also made her a trial pair of microwaveable mittens. Now these are more for use around the home as you can't really walk in the slippers, but they do make your toes cozy while on the couch or when tucking into bed. Some nights my hands hurt and are cold, so I thought I'd see how these work for her arthritis and then make me a pair if they work.

After those items were done, I finished off a This and That bag. I don't like the way they left the inside seams unfinished, so I added some narrow binding over the seams. I should have done the zipper edges, but I realized the problem a little late. I'll fix it on the next one.

I need to finish the ski helmet bag and a couple of neck gaiters for Eric's ski trip and I can get back to my list of stuff to sew.

I thought I was going to bed, but the livestock dogs are going ballistic out back. Off to offer them some back up and then I shall find my way to the nest. anybody else up in the tree tonight?

Monique
February 21st, 2017, 06:45 AM
Yup!! Can't sleep, hubs is gone back to bed but not me.

Star lover
February 21st, 2017, 08:01 AM
Up since 4 am. But that's our everyday. At least until my husband retires. Not bad though, I get lots done. It's just hard to go to bed early enough. To get a good nights sleep we should be in bed by 8. Never happens, especially during the summer. It's still daylight then! Hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful day and the time to do something you love or do something creative!

TMP
February 21st, 2017, 11:39 AM
Good morning, Its warm here, real warm for February even in Alabama. Tomorrow and for a few days they are predicting mid 70's. DH is out walking. I am sitting here half asleep and drinking coffee. I set the clock so I would be up when the delivery folks called. We are getting a new dinning room table. YA! For over 40 years we have used my mother's and it is older than I am. Every holiday we have been afraid it was going to fall.

Toggpine, I would love to make microwave slippers for my DL she is cold all the time. May I ask where you found the pattern?
I hope everyone has a great day!

toggpine
February 21st, 2017, 02:26 PM
Toggpine, I would love to make microwave slippers for my DL she is cold all the time. May I ask where you found the pattern?
I hope everyone has a great day!

I was gifted a pair of Snoozies slippers. I loved them so much I wore out the bottoms. I then deconstructed them and made a pattern from the pieces.
I will tell you I modified the seam from a split in the bottom of the sole, to leaving a gap in the side seam to turn it. I added an extra fleece layer to the sole and upgraded the outer soles to reclaimed denim from Eric's worn out work jeans for the regular slippers.
The microwave version I added an inner lining of flannel. Sewed channels, then partially sewed each chamber closed. I then added the flax seeds to each chamber and hand sewed it shut to keep the seeds from leaking out while I finished construction. (Over filling the chambers is not a good idea either. Leave room to sew the outside seams.)
I did not fill the soles, so walking was possible in an emergency. Since the slippers can't easily be washed, I don't recommend walking in them. The regular ones wash up really well, especially if you use the anti-pill fleece.
If you don't want to go the deconstruction route, I saw a pattern in Nancy Zieman's catalog for similar slippers. I don't know if they are exact, but for $10 they ought to be close.