PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts: television and crafting

Carolnnc
February 19th, 2017, 05:00 PM
I have noticed that people remark that they quilt (or knit or crochet) while watching television. Until recently I hardly ever watched tv but am now binge watching Netflix. I can't figure out how you keep up with what's happening on a show when working on a quilt. Are you really just listening? Do you just glance up to see what's happening? I always thought I did multi-tasking very well but this has me perplexed. There was no way I could keep up with the hockey game today and not sew my hand to the quilt I was binding:)

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2017, 05:11 PM
I could never watch Walking Dead and cut fabric at the same time. lol

Carolnnc
February 19th, 2017, 05:15 PM
I could never watch Walking Dead and cut fabric at the same time. lol

I love you Lorie!!!!!!

jjkaiser
February 19th, 2017, 05:18 PM
No I can't do both at the same time. Only if the news is on because really who needs to actually see the action or people to follow it. Perfect for hq though. Am I allowed to say that I only watch the "real news"-- PBS, as far as I know it isn't fake news.

TMP
February 19th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I almost always have the TV on in my sewing room. I listen to the news, rarely look up at it. I guess I could just as well listen to talk radio. I "watch" TV when I am doing hand sewing like binding.

Iris Girl
February 19th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Not a big TV watcher and it puts me to sleep so no I could not do both.

songbird857
February 19th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I'm a radio buff... Grew up on old time radio and talk shows, so I do like to have different things on (although sometimes I just enjoy the quiet).
I also like to listen to Adventures in Odyssey.... A kids radio program that my girls grew up on. I still love to listen to them!

JCY
February 19th, 2017, 08:00 PM
There is no TV watching in my sewing or cutting rooms. It would be too distracting. I have a CD player & listen to southern gospel music or easy listening CDs.

pcbatiks
February 19th, 2017, 08:10 PM
I usually like to listen to shows that I seen hundreds of times. One of my favorites to have playing while working on a quilt is Fraiser. I watch them a little but mostly just listening while sewing. I can't watch shows with lots of details to follow while sewing......I'm afraid I will miss something. :D

PatinValrico
February 19th, 2017, 09:53 PM
I confess I cannot listen to television or the radio while sewing. I have found that if I try, I do not do either one well. My sewing nest looks out on the shallow end of the pool and we have many trees on the property. I usually just open the windows and enjoy the wind in the trees. Good time to count my blessings! https://b57cc9b8cb85def1d1e6-ff65275aa2abff60f64163492c6e766e.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/product/4/8/48b60f52-7840-3004-ad23-b48bf253de04.jpg?1474317506

PatinValrico
February 19th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Apologies. I have no idea how the MSQC hoodie got attached!:icon_eek:

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2017, 10:56 PM
I love you Lorie!!!!!!

:icon_kiss: Us Dead fans have to stick together!

cv quilter
February 19th, 2017, 11:08 PM
I love you Lorie!!!!!!Me, too:icon_whistle:

Kgrammiecaz
February 19th, 2017, 11:10 PM
I can have the TV on and tuned to either shows I have already seen or CNN. Ths way I am mostly listening. But many times I enjoy my quiet house while I am sewing. Our world is sometimes just too noisy.

cashs_mom
February 19th, 2017, 11:52 PM
I always have the TV on in the sewing room. I have a dvr and record stuff that comes on at inconvenient times or that my husband doesnt want to watch. I pick what I watch by what I'm doing. If I'm doing something that takes concentration, I put on a show with an easy to follow plot. If I'm sitting and doing handwork or pressing fabric, I put on something I have to watch more. Also since it's on dvr, I can always back it up and rewatch anything I miss.

peggiep
February 19th, 2017, 11:57 PM
The TV is on in my sewing room whenever I am in there. It is usually tuned to HGTV, but often I listen to Country Music videos...its music, but if I want to look away for a minute, it gives me something to see rather than just satellite radio. I really don't watch, just listen, but it definitely provides some background noise in a home that is normally very, very quiet.

SallyO'Sews
February 20th, 2017, 12:15 AM
I watch old Hallmark movies while I sew. Don't judge me! They are very formulaic, have happy endings, and don't require a whole lot of attention. My 21-year-old DS thinks they are dreadful, but I enjoy them. :D

shawnan
February 20th, 2017, 03:52 AM
I also like to have the tv on, but usually watch old movies I've seen a dozen times. That way I can mostly just listen. Or I might turn on one of the music channels we get. Rarely do I watch an action movie or sports because I do more watching than sewing stuff.

Nancy

snippet
February 20th, 2017, 06:27 AM
I have to have something on to drown out the tinnitus. Most of the time it is the radio, but sometimes I will turn on the television to a movie I've seen before.

Carol336
February 20th, 2017, 08:10 AM
I'm really the odd man out here. I quilt/sew in complete silence....just my own little thoughts going on. I just seem to get lost in what I'm doing and I thing the tv or radio would be a distraction. Besides, I really don't watch much tv so that is certainly not an option for me, but I have thought about having a little music going on....might give that a little try sometime.

Star lover
February 20th, 2017, 08:14 AM
I'm a radio buff... Grew up on old time radio and talk shows, so I do like to have different things on (although sometimes I just enjoy the quiet).
I also like to listen to Adventures in Odyssey.... A kids radio program that my girls grew up on. I still love to listen to them!

Ahhh Adventures in Odyssey - sure brings back memories. My boys loved it and now my grandchildren.
Guess I'm a strange one too. I quilt, my husband watches TV. There's not much on TV (for me) that needs to be "watched." I just listen and occasionally I may look up and see something. But mostly I'm in my own little world. Enjoying the peaceful rock of the needle and my own thoughts. . . Which sometimes aren't peaceful. But the quilting keeps me calm.

Monique
February 20th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I usually have my radio on but if I am quilting (at work) I have my tablet and will watch movies on it.

mommadeb
February 20th, 2017, 09:43 AM
No TV when I'm sewing but when I am working on a crochet project, I do watch TV-actually listening and glance up sometimes.

amartin24
February 20th, 2017, 12:07 PM
I usually quilt in quiet although sometimes I listen to my audiobooks through my bluetooth portable speaker.

Carolyn
February 20th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I sew in the same room as my husband works so I just listen to all that computer talk that I don't understand anyway! I even get to sit in on meeting I wasn't invited to and voice my opinion when it is all over.

EnumclawGramma
February 20th, 2017, 01:36 PM
I like the Hallmark movies too! I do like the TV on when I'm sewing, occasionally I REALLY enjoy listening to YOGA music on Pandora tho, really relaxing....

toggpine
February 20th, 2017, 03:05 PM
I usually do audiobooks while in the sewing room. Not only can I read without sewing my fingers, but each disc is about an hour long. I can time things with them like laundry, meal preparations, baby goat feeding schedules, etc. It takes about one disc for a laundry cycle. I have two before I need to start supper. After the next one, I need to go check on babies or walk down to the bus stop. (And unlike the "Just One More Chapter" syndrome, it shuts itself off so I won't be tempted to turn the page!)

Again, if I miss a part, or need to answer phone, etc. I can pause or replay the bits I missed. Then I don't feel like I am wasting time just sitting and reading. (Although there are days when that is just the thing to do!)

I can "watch" tv while hand sewing, cross-stitching, etc. but I think I listen more than watch.

cv quilter
February 20th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Ditto what Carol said. I have no music or tv in my sewing room. I do have my computer in there, but only to check the Forums

MRoy
February 20th, 2017, 11:20 PM
I have to have something on to drown out the tinnitus. Most of the time it is the radio, but sometimes I will turn on the television to a movie I've seen before.
Me too! If I don't have some kind of outside noise, the ringing in my ears bothers me so much more. Right now, the high-pitched whistle in my ears is awful.

tamsterg7
February 21st, 2017, 01:45 AM
I am like you - not much of a tv watched but boy can I binge on a good netflix series! When sewing I mostly havebit for background noise unlessmiy's something goood. Then I either stop sewing or turn it up really loud so I can hear ober the machine - which annoys everyone else in the house.

CraftHer
February 21st, 2017, 07:56 PM
I usually listen to audio books or pandora. If I'm cutting or measuring or something I need to concentrate, I have it quiet. If I'm doing something comfortable or repetitive, I love a good mystery. What's funny is when I work on a project again, I recall what book or music I was listening to.

I love Hallmark movies, too.

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
February 22nd, 2017, 02:55 PM
I watch TV when sewing but I must agree with Lorie I never try to sew during The Walking Dead.

auntiemern
February 22nd, 2017, 03:42 PM
I always have the tv on. Not always watching because mostly they are reruns, but I can't stand quiet unless I am trying to go to sleep. I have my sewing room, that has a small tv that isn't hooked up to the satellite, so I only watch DVD's or listen to music in there. I did however move my one fold up sewing table back in to the kitchen/dining area...cuz I need to be where I can see what is going on in the rest of the house, and can see my LR TV from where that is sitting. Although I do love when the little's come in my sewing room and watch an old Disney movie or something with me.

Carlie Wolf
February 22nd, 2017, 04:15 PM
I'll watch tv if I'm knitting. Otherwise I prefer the silence because then I space out and go into a whole new world. I just get into the moment of the quilting. Occasionally I will listen to music if I'm long arm quilting or cutting. Piecing I prefer silence.

Anna Leigh
February 24th, 2017, 08:12 AM
I watch them a little but mostly just listening while sewing. I can't watch shows with lots of details to follow while sewing......I'm afraid I will miss something.

Exactly what I was going to say...lol. I found listening to something over watching is far better. Audiobooks, radio, mindless CDs that play over again on repeat, and streaming radio because regular radio can play the same song or song set over and over again.