PDA

View Full Version : Knitters out there?

Carlie Wolf
February 18th, 2017, 11:03 AM
I don't knit very often but have started a handspun sweater for myself (it's been 10 years since I did the last one).

Anyway I lost the adapters to my old Boye knitting kit and they seem nowhere to be found store wise since they sold the company. So, I ordered some circular #10 needles I needed. The woman asked if I wanted the square or the round needles, the square being a newer trend. She said she had arthritis and the square ones seemed to be easier on her hands.

I bought the square ones to try out and I think she is right. I don't seem to grip the needles as tightly as I do the round ones. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Cokie
February 18th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I'm not an accomplished knitter but I do enjoy it occasionally - easy projects! I've never heard of square knitting needles but I'm going to check them out.

songbird857
February 18th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I believe my mom has some, although I'm not sure which she prefers... I have a lovely set of wooden interchangeable circulars that feel so nice in the hand...

Patty J
February 18th, 2017, 01:12 PM
I'm a really new knitter and love the feeling of the yarns. I have bamboo needles. I need to check out the square needles at the yarn shop. Thanks for the info.

Bubby
February 18th, 2017, 02:23 PM
I wish I could knit better than I do. My stitches are fine but I have trouble following directions and then when I mess up I rip it all out and start over, consequently seldom finishing anything other than dish cloths. I prefer bamboo needles and have not heard about square needles. I dream about being able to knit my own socks.

Iris Girl
February 18th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Not a great knitter but do some things from time to time. Never heard of square needles but will definitely check out and see if we have them when I go back to work Monday. Had a very hard time the other day trying to explain to someone looking for crochet needles that they don't exist to my knowledge. Crochet has hooks and knotting has needles but they insisted...so maybe something new?

Cokie
February 18th, 2017, 08:17 PM
I wish I could knit better than I do. My stitches are fine but I have trouble following directions and then when I mess up I rip it all out and start over, consequently seldom finishing anything other than dish cloths. I prefer bamboo needles and have not heard about square needles. I dream about being able to knit my own socks.

This is me exactly! I really want to make socks!!

Hulamoon
February 18th, 2017, 08:42 PM

My dd was going to make me socks out of these beautiful soft yarns. Well that never happened. As soon as I find it I'll send it to you:)

bakermom
February 18th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Yes! i had my doubts but decided to try Knit Picks square needles(I love the colors)and they have really made a difference for me.

mischiefkat
February 18th, 2017, 10:36 PM
Yes! i had my doubts but decided to try Knit Picks square needles(I love the colors)and they have really made a difference for me.

I'm curious. How are the square needles are different? Kathy

Claire OneStitchAtATime
February 18th, 2017, 10:52 PM
I am an enthusiastic knitter. I own only one set of square needles but I do like them and would love some more. I don't know that they are easier on my hands, but I can totally believe that some people hold the square needles differently and thus find them easier with arthritis.
And I do knit socks -- hand knitted socks are fabulous!

Carlie Wolf
February 18th, 2017, 11:14 PM
mischiefkat, the actual needle section is squared instead of round

Hulamoon
February 18th, 2017, 11:51 PM
I am an enthusiastic knitter. I own only one set of square needles but I do like them and would love some more. I don't know that they are easier on my hands, but I can totally believe that some people hold the square needles differently and thus find them easier with arthritis.
And I do knit socks -- hand knitted socks are fabulous!

I'm so impressed!

bakermom
February 19th, 2017, 12:44 AM
I'm curious. How are the square needles are different? Kathy

for me they are easier to hold, not sure why but I don't get a death grip on them like I do with my others. i have carpel tunnel in both hands and can usually knit for short spurts. With the square needles I can make a hat in an evening without having to stop for pain in my hands. Like I said, I doubted it could make a difference but for me it did.

mischiefkat
February 19th, 2017, 12:51 AM
for me they are easier to hold, not sure why but I don't get a death grip on them like I do with my others. i have carpel tunnel in both hands and can usually knit for short spurts. With the square needles I can make a hat in an evening without having to stop for pain in my hands. Like I said, I doubted it could make a difference but for me it did.

Thank you and Carlie Wolf for answers to a poorly worded question. I will check them out. Thanks again for your answers. Kathy

Carlie Wolf
February 19th, 2017, 10:40 AM
It took me about 40 years to figure out how to do socks. I finally bit the bullet when I really wanted a few pairs of very warm ones when I was up in Canada. I was using my handspun and first tried the no heel ones and then finally found a pattern where I could understand (barely) what they were saying about turning a heel.

Still I've only made a few pairs and they look nothing like how good Claires does!

Monique
February 19th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I can't do socks either. I have made sweaters. My Mom was an excellent knitter. When she passed I found a pair of half knitted socks. I may have to find someone to finish them for me. I have also kept ALL her needles and she had many.

Monique
February 19th, 2017, 10:49 AM
I can't do socks either. I have made sweaters. My Mom was an excellent knitter. When she passed I found a pair of half knitted socks. I may have to find someone to finish them for me. I have also kept ALL her needles and she had many, but not square ones.

mischiefkat
February 19th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I worked with a gal that knitted mostly socks during lunch hour. She could make a pair in 3 to 4 lunch hours. As a child she was the red headed step child in her aunt's home. To keep peace between the girl and her better than thou older female cousin, the grandmother taught her to knit. Since she couldn't talk and knit without losing her place, peace prevailed until she was old enough to move out. Interesting sometimes what brings us to the place we are. Kathy