PDA

View Full Version : Prayers requested for Oroville

CraftyJnet
February 13th, 2017, 01:27 AM
Thousands of people have been asked to evacuate from the areas in and around Oroville, Marysville and Yuba City. The emergency spillway at the Oroville dam is in danger of failing. People are afraid the dam will be next. I'm asking for prayers for those people to be able to evacuate safely and in time. You can read more about it in the news if you are interested. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/thousands-evacuate-as-officials-eye-california-dam-spillway/ar-AAmRa81?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Cokie
February 13th, 2017, 01:29 AM
My husband just read this to me! Prayers for all to be able to evacuate safely!!

Judy, USMC
February 13th, 2017, 02:20 AM
Hope everyone can evacuate safely ... wish the dam would hold.

auntiemern
February 13th, 2017, 02:48 AM
Just heard about this on the news. Prayers for all of them.

Star lover
February 13th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Just heard this am. I'm also going to be praying.

Monique
February 13th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I hope everyone gets out safely.

kimsophia
February 13th, 2017, 02:41 PM
I understand that people might be afraid that the dam would fail, but I've been following this story and there is no indication that the dam itself is failing. As I understand it, the dam was built onto bedrock, but the hillside that the emergency spillway empties onto is earthen. Also the lake has been lowered enough now that no more water is flowing over the emergency spillway to further erode that hillside. I heard one reporter say that they intend to lower the lake enough that no water is even pressing against the emergency spillway concrete. That would put the lake level thirty feet lower. This is the live coverage I have been watching. http://www.kcra.com/nowcast

PatinValrico
February 13th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Thoughts and prayers... If they have this much water, which has not accumulated over night, perhaps in the future they could work on ways mto divert excess water to their draught areas.

GuitarGramma
February 13th, 2017, 09:06 PM
DH has two cousins who live there. When we called one of them, she was on the road evacuating. Because of the rivers, there are basically only two roads out of town, and they were crawling. Our cousin had traveled one mile in the past hour. Gas stations were rationing so that everyone could get at least some petrol. It does sound like the danger has mostly passed, but it was scary last night.

Diverting to drought stricken areas is a good idea, but you have to use existing waterways. Huge masses of water like this take time to move and can only go where storage exists. California desperately needs new dams to support the current population, but environmental concerns prevent building. Our last major water storage project is over 30 years old, and the population has skyrocketed since then. To put it in perspective, Sacramento-area rivers far exceed the water flow in the Colorado River, but the Colorado River dams up and stores 70 million acre feet of water compared to 10 million acre feet from the Sacramento rivers. So most of the water that passes within ten miles of my inland home actually winds up in the Pacific Ocean instead of providing pollution-free hydro-electricity and water for our farms and homes.

Sorry for the rant.