PDA

View Full Version : Senior dog owners

Carlie Wolf
February 12th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Miss Carlie seems to be having an on again off again problem now that she's older then me in dog years. This seems to be happening about every two or three weeks for a few days.

I think at night one of her front paws or lower leg falls asleep at night and then when she wakes up and gets off whatever she is sleeping on she temporarily injures her foot or lower ankle. It usually is sore for two or three days and then she is back to normal for a while. I have some pain pills she had gotten a while ago so I give her one or two a day until it's gone. There appears to be no swelling or visible injury.

I can't think of anything that I can do to prevent this as I'm guessing it's an old age problem. Or not? Anyone have any ideas of what if anything can be done to make this easier for her? I've seen her do it even when getting up from the floor after sleeping so it's not just particularly a height problem.

Hulamoon
February 12th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Is it carpet or a hard floor? If it's hard maybe put a carpet underneath so she has a better footing? It's so hard to see them aging :(

Carlie Wolf
February 12th, 2017, 05:03 PM
It's been happening either way. I'm thinking she's not slipping so much as not putting her foot down properly and then her body weight weakens it. It's even hard to tell if she's continually injurying the same front foot. This time she is holding it up a bit so it appears to be her left foot. I always worry that a pin dropped on the floor and logged in the paw but so far that's not it and I go through my sewing areas at least three times a day checking for any loose or wandering pins.

shirleyknot
February 12th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Time for arthritis meds. My old girl had the same problem. She made it to 19 in fair shape, though.

Hulamoon
February 12th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I had a cat once that had a problem with her foot. She was an indoor/outdoor kitty and when I looked at it I didn't see anything. I finally found out it was her nails. One had one grown so long it turned back into her foot. I always assumed if they were going outside they were scratching things and the nails would stay short. Didn't help she had long hair.

Carlie Wolf
February 12th, 2017, 06:53 PM
I was reading up on arthritis in dogs now that you mentioned it. My quess is that's probably what is happening. A year and half ago they did xrays on her because she went down. They thought she had a degenerative spinal disease that german shepherds get and would only last about a year. But she got better...much better and now I'm suspecting it was a back injury they didn't pick up on. At the time they said they were surprised because in the xrays she looked like a much younger age and was in excellent condition for her age. They said no tumors, dysplasia or other normal aging things. From what I've read it looks like I've done a lot of things they suggested just because she's getting old and it made sense to me. She's 14 now. I guess it's time to put her on some arthritis meds to ease the pain since it's happening more frequently now. Also I have noticed changes in her during different weather patterns. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, it's not easy getting old :-(

LauraP
February 12th, 2017, 06:57 PM
for humans or animals!

laura44
February 13th, 2017, 03:38 AM
Poor doggie, mine is 17 and takes a pill everyday for back pain
and a leaky bladder.

Bubby
February 13th, 2017, 04:30 AM
Your poor baby. I find it so frustrating because they can't talk and tell us what's wrong. Dottie did something like that a few months ago but she had injured a toe and it was swollen to the point she carried her leg. My guess would be arthritis that comes with age. There are canine supplements for joint pain and stiffness but I have had no experience with them. Hugs & prayers to you both.

lovemyavy
February 13th, 2017, 04:02 PM
We give our baby girl a Glucosamine Chew twice a day, which is the recommended dosage for her weight. We get them at Sam's Club, as that's the cheapest place we've found them. She loves them and looks forward to getting one after her morning and evening meals. She's only 6.5 years old but she seems more like a puppy since we started her Chews about a year ago. The reason we started giving them to her was because she seemed to dread the porch steps, particularly on rainy days. Now she acts like they're no big deal at all, rain or shine! I hope you find something that comforts Carlie. :)

MHG Winnower
February 13th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Perhaps a vet visit would be in order to help treat whatever is causing the problem. Poor baby; poor human, too. They are family.

Julie A
February 13th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Glucosamine is wonderful. Vet recommended it when my dog was about 5 (for giants breeds that's apparently middle aged?). Had stopped it for awhile but my dog has torn cruciate in right rear knee and torn meniscus in left rear leg now at age 8. Takes duramax and it helped but when we added his glucosamine back in, it made a huge difference. He walks better, seems like a lot less discomfort, and even runs to play (although I am terrified when I see him run in yard given his back knees). Talk to your vet about glucosamine. Hope your dog is better soon - they are so much our family!

Carlie Wolf
February 14th, 2017, 12:59 AM
I'm going to try the glucosamine next time I go to Walmart. Apparently they have it there. It looked pretty reasonable too. Thank you everyone for your kind words and Carlie appreciates it too. She's feeling a bit better (still limping though) and decided to play with her "honky hog" today :-)

lovemyavy
February 14th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Great idea about the Glucosamine! We were getting it at Walmart. We just happened to find it at Sam's for twice as many Chews for little extra money. I think it'll be wonderful for Carlie! I really hope it brings her some comfort. It might take a few weeks to see any real difference in her, but don't give up. She'll thank you with extra kisses!! lol

shirleyknot
February 14th, 2017, 08:46 PM
and decided to play with her "honky hog" today :-)

Aww, my Chow has one of those!

Julie A
February 14th, 2017, 09:03 PM
You might want to check w vet or vet website on dosage. My dog is 113 lbs so vet told me full adult human dose (1500 mg) and to be honest he does great even on 1000 mg. But Pupdog Jim is a Parvo survivor so I never know if his tummy tolerates the same as other dogs. Hope your pup does well.

TMP
February 14th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Poor Carlie. I feel for her, if it is arthritis that is so painful and she can't tell you it hurts.