PDA

View Full Version : slammed!!

bubba
February 6th, 2017, 03:57 PM
By the snow. We got only about five inches at our house. My sister lives less than ten miles away and got ten. Friends a little further out got 14! Schools are all cancelled, people can't get into work and several have lost power due to down trees and power lines. My sister keeps going to her car to heat water for tea as hers is out.

It's still falling in some places, like our lake place. He had wanted to go up there this weekend but my back is not cooperating so we stayed home. Thank you arthritic back! Being up in the woods in weather like this is frightening with branches and trees falling.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 6th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Wow! Even though it is a major inconvenience, but it sure is pretty! We haven't had any this year!

Sandy Navas
February 6th, 2017, 06:19 PM
But, ain't it purty? We've had less than an inch all winter . . . (I'd better watch out or we'll get slammed!!)

lmanna
February 6th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Yeah we got slammed here in the Seattle area also. Out last measurement was 9". The ironic thing is that I had 14 colleagues fly in from Europe for a business workshop this week. All 14 of them were able to attend the workshop in person today...however, many of the locals (including me) had to attend remotely because we couldn't make it into the office.

Monique
February 6th, 2017, 07:45 PM
But it is so purty!!

bubba
February 6th, 2017, 08:37 PM
It is pretty, yes. Watching the news now and we are under winter weather advisory still....they say till 4pm. My back has been bothering me the past two days, I'm sure due to the change in the pressure (I have spinal arthritis and it does not like the cold) so I laid down a couple hours ago on my mattress warmer and took a nap.

I woke up to sunshine and blue skies and that makes me happy. MM has to work tonight and I'm sure everything will be frozen and ugly so he will be heading out early. Me? I'm staying inside with Yoda and staying warm!

JCY
February 6th, 2017, 08:45 PM
When the Seattle area gets snow, it's a nightmare with all those hilly streets!

Doloris
February 6th, 2017, 10:14 PM
was 45 today, and going to be in the 60s tomorrow. :)

bubba
February 6th, 2017, 11:37 PM
was 45 today, and going to be in the 60s tomorrow. :)

And snow on Wednesday :D

QuiltingRN
February 7th, 2017, 03:36 AM
In Silverdale we got 7 inches. It will be icy in the morning I am sure! The dogs thought it was fun, they had snowballs stuck to their hair!

bubba
February 7th, 2017, 04:33 AM
MM made it safely to work tonight. He works up in Renton, right by Fry's if you know where that is. He is anticipating nothing but ugliness come morning and I expect him to leave early to head home.

Yoda is not liking this at all. My back has been in an uproar, so I asked MM if he would go clean off a path across the deck and down the back steps for him and he did. He, Yoda, still doesn't want to go out, but he does. As soon as he is back inside, he comes in by the fire to warm up.

snippet
February 7th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Please stay safe and warm inside. Hope the utilities cooperate too.

I miss living in snow. It's a mixed blessing though.

bubba
February 7th, 2017, 06:36 AM
On the 11pm news, they said it will be in the 50s this weekend!

snippet
February 7th, 2017, 06:39 AM
On the 11pm news, they said it will be in the 50s this weekend!Our news said it was probably going to be in the upper 80s! What a temperature difference.

SallyO'Sews
February 7th, 2017, 02:29 PM
In Silverdale we got 7 inches. It will be icy in the morning I am sure! The dogs thought it was fun, they had snowballs stuck to their hair!

Hey, April, my DD and SIL live in Silverdale! Two snow days in a row - he was really happy (as are most teachers)!

Not gonna' lie... I do love looking at the snow - from INSIDE MY WARM HOUSE. As long as the power stays on, but I have an excuse not to go anywhere, I'm a happy camper. We've had almost none this year in the Hartford, CT, area. Even though I love looking at it, I'm not really missing it.

Caroline T.
February 7th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Bubby, I feel for Yoda. My Maggie is not too pleased with this white cold stuff either. Yesterday morning, I tried to get her to go outside to do her business, but she wasn't going to have anything to do with it, until I trudged out there too. I got curious to see if I could make a snowman, so I started rolling a ball of snow (it worked!) and it cleared a nice big patch of grass which Maggie was very grateful for. I decided to make the patch bigger, and started rolling another ball of snow, after all a snowman needs a head right! Unfortunately when I place the head on the body, the head fell apart. And that was as far as I got.

Heading out this morning, I almost fell on my keister. DH neglected to clear the steps, but thankfully I was holding onto the railing and was able to catch myself, although I'm sure I'll have two nice big bruises on the underside of my arms.

Interesting drive into work this morning, while the road crews are doing a good job keeping the main roads and highways clear, the side streets and parking lots are dicey. Will be glad when this stuff thaws!

JCY
February 7th, 2017, 05:12 PM
My son said they got 9" of snow in Sumner & there were 12" in Puyallup. More on the higher hills. He works in a warehouse. Trucks couldn't get through with deliveries. They spent most of their time shoveling the wet, heavy snow & putting down ice melt. One of the workers couldn't get in to work due to downed trees & power lines on his driveway. I think the Sounder (train) wasn't running as were many of the buses. Of course, no school. Power outages in many places. My son said the lights flickered several times, but he didn't lose power. The guys went home early at 2:00. Our Colorado mountains are due to get a lot of snow this week.

WendyI
February 8th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Well you can all thank me here in Ontario for the fact that we have NO snow in Ontario....I bought my kid down hill skis for Christmas. He's used them once!

Pat, do you not normally get this much snow?

bubba
February 8th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Pat, do you not normally get this much snow?

We rarely get snow.....last winter, I think the only time it snowed was Halloween (2015) and it was gone in hours. The rain has moved in today and it's supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow, so there will now be lots of flooding. The mountain passes are expecting up to two feet today and Eastern Washington is going to get slammed again, but that is normal.

Nidan_07
February 8th, 2017, 08:37 PM
Wow Pat! That looks so pretty. I am sure it brings it challenges, but given the heatwave that we are experiencing down here, it just looks so inviting and peaceful. Only thing that concerns me is that mound of snow you've got in the foreground. What actually is that? Is that a few bodies you have buried there?:D:D

bubba
February 8th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Wow Pat! That looks so pretty. I am sure it brings it challenges, but given the heatwave that we are experiencing down here, it just looks so inviting and peaceful. Only thing that concerns me is that mound of snow you've got in the foreground. What actually is that? Is that a few bodies you have buried there?:D:D

That is actually my sisters front yard because I am smart and don't go out in the snow! It some sort of shrub if I remember correctly...maybe a creeping evergreen?

Nidan_07
February 8th, 2017, 10:56 PM
That is actually my sisters front yard because I am smart and don't go out in the snow! It some sort of shrub if I remember correctly...maybe a creeping evergreen?

It sure is pretty. It looks a little like a Christmas picture to me. I have only ever seen snow once. DH says I should just open the freezer, there's plenty in there.

bubba
February 9th, 2017, 02:26 AM
Haha!!! My sister had about a foot in her yard. We only got about 5", which is 5" too much!