PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Groundhog Night Owl

kimsophia
February 2nd, 2017, 02:47 AM
I guess we'll be playing our copy of "Groundhog Day" this morning...I love that movie! I need to pick up my counted cross stitch this evening and start stitching...I made a Vietnamese beef soup (pho) from a Cook's Country show I watched on Amazon Prime. It was pretty good but not as good as my favorite restaurant. However that's two hours away so this is a good stopgap. How are things in your nest?

stationarymom
February 2nd, 2017, 02:54 AM
I finally made it up late enough to find another Owl. Things are still coming along here,I go back to the burn clinic on the 9th and hopefully they will have the compression sleeve for my arm.We got a few inches of snow last night ,the dog enjoyed that.Do you or maybe another Owl know how tight your hoop and fabric should be to hand quilt?

Kgrammiecaz
February 2nd, 2017, 03:03 AM
I love Pho. I bought the Craftsy class to try and make myself. But I really miss my vietnamese friends who makes it so awesome. I am going to see her end of March, she now lives in Denver. We will spend the three days at the quilt show.

kimsophia
February 2nd, 2017, 03:27 AM
.Do you or maybe another Owl know how tight your hoop and fabric should be to hand quilt?

I have seen videos on YouTube when they say you should not have it stretched tight in the hoop but somewhat loose, so you can press it down in the middle with your flat hand and it has some give.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgPx25jYSQg

kimsophia
February 2nd, 2017, 03:34 AM
I love Pho. I bought the Craftsy class to try and make myself. But I really miss my vietnamese friends who makes it so awesome. I am going to see her end of March, she now lives in Denver. We will spend the three days at the quilt show.

Do your Vietnamese friends make the broth from bones? The Martha Stewart recipe has you using cooking the bones up to 8 hours. It also says to char the onion and ginger. I would do that outside but not in the house...

Simply Quilting
February 2nd, 2017, 04:07 AM
Do you or maybe another Owl know how tight your hoop and fabric should be to hand quilt?

Bernice talked about having it as tight as if a cat had laid in it. I hope that makes sense. This night owl is hoping that the little one that just went down is going to stay down for the night. He had so much fun tonight watching the Teamkid children playing games during recreation. I didn't get any sewing done this evening as he was awake all evening. He is one that can take a ten minute power nap which he did on the way home from church and is good to go for hours.

While he is sleeping, I am going to head off to bed myself.

Good night all :)

GaGa
February 2nd, 2017, 04:31 AM
Happy Groundhog Day! I used to think those little furry critters were cute - until some decided to live under my front porch. What a mess they make! We have caught many in a live trap. There seems to be no end to them. We have recently gotten a dog so I'm hoping he will help keep them away!

Did very little sewing today. DH had knee replacement Monday and we came home Tuesday - just 24 hours after surgery. Glad to be home but such a quick hospital release makes it a little more challenging for the caregiver! He's now had both hips and both knees replaced. I had rotator cuff surgery in August so I really hope we are done with surgeries for a long time!

Time for bed. Hope sleep comes easily tonight!

toggpine
February 2nd, 2017, 05:10 AM
Just passing through on my way to bed myself.

As for the accident, no one was hurt. Dented in my driver side passenger door, rear quarter panel, and messed up my wheel. It is about 6" in height and about 3' from start to finish. About $3500 - $4000 for the repair.

Take care!

Kgrammiecaz
February 2nd, 2017, 05:14 AM
Do your Vietnamese friends make the broth from bones? The Martha Stewart recipe has you using cooking the bones up to 8 hours. It also says to char the onion and ginger. I would do that outside but not in the house...

She does make her broth from bone. Not sure how she does the rest. But she does get many ingredients directly from a Vietnamese store. Not sure ai would want to char those items in the house either. I have got to watch that class very soon and I will let you know how it goes.

Judy, USMC
February 2nd, 2017, 05:53 AM
Do you or maybe another Owl know how tight your hoop and fabric should be to hand quilt?

Joan ~ When I learned to hand quilt the instructor had us put it in the hoop tight. Then he said to try to take tiny stitches. (stab the needle straight down and then push the flat of the needle at the point back up.) None of us could do it. Then he had us loosen up the fabric sandwich and re-tighten the hoop screw. We tried again and kept loosening until we could take those tiny stitches - think of it as a rocking motion. It's more of a personal feel for the needle going through and getting pushed back up. He said 6 stitches per inch on top was good and getting 8 would be excellent. Wish I could be of more help ... or hire him to come to your house!

I think we had a 3 hour class on it and it took the first hour for me to finally find the right hoop tension. So don't be discouraged if it takes a while to find what's right for you. Hope that compression sleeve helps!

And the temperature is dropping tonight here - soup on the menu tomorrow sounds good now that you mention it!