PDA

View Full Version : My Friend Died

GuitarGramma
January 30th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Please say a prayer for the happy repose of the soul of Bob Holiday, my dear friend who played Superman on Broadway in 1966. He passed away on Friday after suffering from pneumonia.

I saw the play "It's a Bird It's a Plan It's Superman" when I was a kid, and 40 years later wrote Bob a fan letter. Eventually that led to me running his web site and becoming his assistant for all things related to Superman. He was a dear friend whom I called virtually every week for ten years. We lived on opposite coasts so I only really met him once, when I was eleven years old. It's amazing the impact he had on me, on my brother, and on the many fans who continued to write to him over the years.

I spent 40 years singing along with the cast album, and one of the great joys of my life is that I actually got to sing with Bob Holiday himself. True, we sang on the telephone together, not in person, but it was pure joy nonetheless.

If you check my album, you'll see the Superman BBQ apron I made for him. Broadway rules prohibit actors from keeping their costumes, so I always hoped that apron would serve as a substitute. When I crocheted a Superman S pillow for him, his daughter told me that he carried it with him everywhere as a back support.

A bright light has gone out in the universe.

Bubby
January 30th, 2017, 05:49 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. People like Bob are magic that passes through our lives. I'm sure you have lots of happy memories to cherish. Hugs....

asta
January 30th, 2017, 05:58 PM
So sorry for the loss of your friend Bob, prayers for family and friends.

jjkaiser
January 30th, 2017, 06:00 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Bob sounds like a terrific person whose many friends will miss him.

Iris Girl
January 30th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a wonderful person and he shall be missed.

auntiemern
January 30th, 2017, 06:09 PM
So sorry for your loss Toni. We are lucky if we have had someone in our life like your friend Bob. You were enriched to have known him as you did. What a blessing for both of you.

GuitarGramma
January 30th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Thank you, everyone. He meant a lot to me. He decided, many years ago, that we needed to define our relationship, and he ended up calling me his sister. His daughter and I used to joke that made me her aunt!

Sandy Navas
January 30th, 2017, 07:45 PM
What a beautiful story about a beautiful phase of your life - I'm sure he thought of you as his Superwoman!!

Hulamoon
January 30th, 2017, 10:41 PM
I remember you talking about him before. Your friendship sounds really special. ((hugs))

Judy, USMC
January 30th, 2017, 10:57 PM
My condolences, Toni, to you and his family.

Kgrammiecaz
January 30th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Bery sorry for your loss. What a blessing you had each other as friends

stationarymom
January 31st, 2017, 02:05 AM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

amartin24
January 31st, 2017, 09:35 AM
So sorry for the loss of such a special friend.

Monique
January 31st, 2017, 10:06 AM
My condolences on your loss. May your memories help you through this most difficult time.

SallyO'Sews
January 31st, 2017, 02:59 PM
So sorry for your loss, Toni. I hope your memories of Bob will continue to bring you joy. Praying for you and for his family.

GuitarGramma
January 31st, 2017, 11:53 PM
Thank you all so very much. If you are a praying person, please pray very hard for Bob's daughter. She has been his caregiver for the last year, quitting her job and dedicating herself to Bob full time. She is having a very hard time, the worst grief I've ever, ever seen. This morning her husband asked me to make sure I'm praying for her.

seaturtle
February 1st, 2017, 06:51 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, Toni. It sounds like you had a very sweet relationship. I'll pray for his daughter.

lapeoples
February 1st, 2017, 07:34 PM
Very sorry for the loss of your friend