PDA

View Full Version : Question about the scrappy 4 patch & X's and O's quilt. Blocks do not line up correctly.

northernshow
January 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
I have question about the scrappy 4 patch & X's and O's quilt. I squared up my 4 patches to 4 inches and made them into 16 patches. Then I made my x and O's blocks (half snowball block):4 inch block with 2 inch squares in opposite corners. Then I sewed four x and o blocks together.

When I sewed the x and o blocks to the 16 patch blocks the x and o points do not line up correctly. Is that suppose to happen? Should I have cut the corner squares larger?

I took the block size (4 inches) and cut it in half and in half again to get 4 (2 inch) pieces.

Claire Hallman
January 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
That is the way I did mine, with 2 inch squares for the corners.

northernshow
January 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
That is the way I did mine, with 2 inch squares for the corners.

Thanks for your reply Claire. Can you post a pic of your quilt?

Thanks,

pdjewelrylady1
January 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
HAHA! you did yours like i did mine - made X blocks and O blocks - which i love how it came out - BUT if you notice in Jenny's tutorial - she really only makes X blocks !!! LOL :D

pdjewelrylady1
January 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
OR is it this one you are talking about? for both of these patterns i used 2.5" corner squares..... :D

northernshow
January 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Both of your quilts look great. I was asking about the second quilt directions, however. I trimmed my blocks down to 4 inches square. Do you think 2.5 inch corner blocks for the x block would account for the 1/4 seem allowance?

northernshow
January 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Beautiful Quilt! What size is it and did you use a charm pack?

Claire Hallman
January 2nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I made two but they both went as Christmas presents and I didn't make pictures. I mad a mistake and made O blocks instead of X blocks but liked the way they turned out anyway. I didn't realize my mistake until they were all made so just made it with the Os.:0

pdjewelrylady1
January 6th, 2012, 01:15 AM
i did not square any of the blocks
the 16 patchs were made from 2.5" squares.....
used yardage cut to 5" charm pack size squares for the snowbals....
and 2.5" corner squares - double sewed to create the bonus triangles used for the borders.
went together really quickly and easily.

sunflower1944
January 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Great idea to use those for the border Suzi. It looks great!