PDA

View Full Version : The first Monday of 2012

Monique
January 2nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Christmas is over for another year. 2012 is here. (Like Sandy, I can make a rhyme).

Phil, Jodi, Sadie and Maizyn went home yesterday, after being here for the whole week. I love my children dearly, but I was not sorry to see them go home. It will be nice to get the house back in order.

The tote bags were a huge success this year. I think everyone was pleased with their gifts. I know I was.

My husband and I host New Year's Eve with a seafood fest. We only have family in and it is a most enjoyable time. We also play games. I let Sadie stay up with us to toast the new year. I also called Greg and Roxy on the west coast to join in ringing in the new year. And I cried. Next year, Greg & Roxy might be here with us.

This week, I might get to try out the walking foot I got for Christmas and will try to finish the quilt I gave to Jodi & Phil. They loved it.

Jodi has her bridal show on the weekend, so I will leave Friday morning to help her with that. All proceeds will go to Breast Cancer.

I hope each and every one of you had a wonderful Christmas and wish you all health, happiness and lots of quilting time in 2012.

I love you all.

toggpine
January 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM
'Morning Monique!

It looks like we were posting at the same time! I am glad you had such a wonderful time with your family. I cherish the memories I have of the holidays with big extended family. Now that we are all older with families of our own it is so much harder to get everyone together.
I hope you have a relaxing Monday after all of the hustle-bustle of the holidays!
Cathy

Blondie
January 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM

Good Morning Ladies!

Here I am, draggin' my wagon in. I tell you, the holidays this year were fun, hectic and exhausting. I am hoping to get some rest this next weekend. Our last spot of company will leave this week one day. It is wonderful to have a large family of cousins, special aunties and uncles. This year we had a few extra drop by, mainly because some were out of country in recent years for military - they were not here for my Dad's send off to heaven last Christmas time, so they all decided to descend on us this year. Truly, between my Mom's house and my house at one time we had 17 people. A few decided it was better to stay in a hotel, especially when you consider I only have a bath and a half. If you knew the size of my house, you would shake your head and say What??! Good thing I don't have fussy kin. LOL

Today I am going to sit and do nothing much. I may have to help hubs get some wood in. I intend to cook nothing - I may go downstairs and stare at my sewing machine and clean a bit. I have really missed sewing and really missed my computer. I have learned that I can live without the computer but have been pining away for my sewing time.

Have a wonderful day everyone! I expect a sew wonderful year!

MRoy
January 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Good Morning! This is my last Monday off work for awhile. Blondie, your picture describes me exactly! I'm up early every morning but I'm not really awake and I don't talk much until I've had my coffee! It's time to get back in the routine. I'm a creature of habit and I function better when I'm in my routine. Hoping all have a wonderful day!

oldgurl4
January 2nd, 2012, 10:38 AM
"Morning Girlfriends "

At Last!....

My Last Day of Work!!!
I'm sew counting the Seconds (like New Years Eve) for this Day to Gooooo AWAY!!!!

~Blondie and Monique~
Your Family get together Really brings Back lots of Wonderful Old Memories.
And I’m Sure it has left Fond Memories for Your Family.

When I was younger and living in My PARADISE "Costa Rica",
My Family and I use to visit my relatives up in the Mountains for EASTER Holidays.
We would stay in the Most Humblest Home with a Wooden stove(Yeahhh...aunty would not have an electric one at her place Ohhhh Nooo!! She was Very Old Fashioned)

Yesssss... We may had been a little cramped but! We were Soooo Happy being there all together.
I say to you that is ONE of the BESTEST MEMORIES that "Truly" lives in My HEART FOREVER
and was the Best in My Life Time.

You All have a Safe and & Wonderful 1st day of this 2012 Weekday.
Don't forget to
STOP!
and
Smellllllll That Delicious Brewed Coffee.

cyndiofthevortex
January 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Good morning everyone!

Yesterday was my Very DGSs birthday party (he was born on December 26th!) and DH and I cooked a 25 lb turkey for the celebration. Now we have half a bird to eat for the rest of the week until payday, a very good thing after all the Christmas extras we had to buy, mostly food to serve the teaming masses (our family). Good company, good food and a cake for dessert - a perfect combination! And a wide-eyed 5 year old (and his 4 year old brother, born December 19!) to help with opening the presents and blowing out the candles. Little Jon blew all five candles out before Will got to them, so we lit them again for the birthday boy with no hard feelings between these two best friends.

Today I am off to purchase fabric for the polka dot swap. This will be fun! I haven't picked my color yet so I have the whole store to look through. I have to be fair to all the fabrics, right?

Happy New Year and Happy First Monday to you all!

Cyndi

stitching woman
January 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Happy New Year everyone!

I have had a great Holiday but am ready to get back to my routine. I am such a creature of habit that all this running and company has me light headed.

I spent New Years Eve Day with a wonderful group of friends and we participated in a mystery quilt and had so much fun.

Hope all on you have a very healthy and happy year.

Sandy Navas
January 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I guess this is the thread that has the most followers (I just didn't want to be up as late as Cathy ;-)

I am so looking forward to this year. I am determined to make more of it than I did 2011. I pulled out some project totes yesterday and surveyed what I have to accomplish. I did sneak a quick project in front of all the rest (in case anyone has peaked at my albums and looked at the quilted basket lining I made from my daughter). Yesterday I FINALLY got Michelle's cat quilt top put together, trimmed, bordered (not totally satisfied with any of it) and sandwiched, pinned and ready to baste this morning so I can FMQ or SITD or something so I can finish it completely. She's been so patient. Next in line will be an attempt to finish up the BOM from my LQG and believe me that will be a challenge. I just may pick one of the easier blocks and go for it and thus won't follow the whole design of the quilt but at least I won't be wasting any more of the expensive fabric I chose for Al's quilt. I do keep plugging along. I really need to slow down my actual sewing a bit though. Another goal for me is to move one of my smaller machines upstairs so I can sew in the evening when Al's busy doing his thing on the computer and totally ignoring me (joke there, joking).

Today I'm going to send an invitation to three of the DGDs to enroll in Nana's cooking school for 2012 with sessions starting soon. I'm hoping that those three can each choose three main dishes, three side dishes, and three desserts they would like to make and then we'll work on one from each girl's list every time we meet (once a month??).

Sometimes I think I only sit here and write to try to get my mind to focus. And, if so then that's a good thing. So, since I'm boring you I'll leave you with very special prayers for Emily, her family, Heaven and her family, Mr. & Mrs. Daisy, Gayle, oh - just everyone in need. To everyone who is facing some type of trial this year, whatever the cause, I ask for healing. And warm hugs, best wishes, or - to steal someone's by-line BEST STITCHES to all.

BellasQuilts
January 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM
Today is the last day of my time off and where did the time go! Hubby went to help DD on the ranch and is now covered in Poison Oak. Poor guy, even on the top of his head. We deduced it was on his gloves. He is so tough and not the least bit grouchy (which I would be). Today is take quilts to the laundromat to wash in the big washers, use that cleaner on my car's headlights, clean up generally around the house and perhaps sew a bit. Love and hugs to all for a great 2012!

bakermom
January 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
We had our last little get-together yesterday before everyone goes back to their everyday routine. i did get some sewing in, I have a friendship braid started. I have two sections done. It goes pretty fast. I did good last year finishing up projects i had laying around so i hope to continue that trend this year. I feel a lot more confident with my FMQ too.
it's snowing like mad here so I think an afternoon os sewing is in order.

Klasien
January 2nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
First work day of the year.......busy day at work, I'm a hairdresser (I told before I guess) I have my own salon but also 4 barbershops in 4 different prisons. So today was my so called "Day in Jail"........I've cut 30 imates and now I'm a little tierd.
Tomorrow an other day in jail and wednesday sort of starts my week again in my own salon.
In jail only men in my salon men and women.

The holidays are over and life is back to normal.......routine is a thing I like very much!

My daughter is so sweet to make dinner today, so I can sit back and relax for a little (and think of how to quilt my D9P quilt)
Maybe tonight I still have enough energy to start quilting, but I could just as easy end up with a good book and do nothing.........

I wish you all: Happy 2012 with lots of health, love, joy and beautiful quilts............

Klasien

toggpine
January 2nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Well, I feel better after a bit of sleep. Sandy, Monique and I were posting at nearly the same time. Don't worry, I won't get a complex because her post has more replies! I am just happy to see everybody checking in.

I'm going to go toss hay at the animals and finish up the list of notions I need to pick up at J's today with the supersale and my bonus coupon. I think my husband may even come along on this trip. That will be a bit weird.

You all have a fine first Friday!
Cathy

debinmalaga
January 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Hello all and Happy New Year, hope everyone's celebrations were fun. Mike and I were on our own, kids either working or partying with friends. Mike and I listened to music, had a few adult beverages, and stayed up until 3!!! Not bad for a sedate, 40-something couple, eh? Yesterday was a lazy day, and today (a bank holiday so no work for me!) I'm cleaning and hopefully sewing a little. As I've mentioned, my machine is off at the warranty repair center, so I'm using a tiny cheap stand in for now. Quilting is out of the question but I'll see how it does on some piecing. If it can't handle it, then back to the store it goes.

I don't always have something to contribute, but I do so enjoy checking in with you all every day. Here's hoping 2012 is another year of quilty friendships on the forum, lots of sewing, and health, wealth and happiness!

HandsOffItsMine
January 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Aloha and Happy 1st Monday that doesn't feel like a Monday.

This will be day 3 of walking 3 miles with DH. I tell you if it wasn't for the fact that we feed wild dogs, cats, chickens and ducks along the way...No way would I be doing this. The first day the last half mile which is up hill at a 12% grade (hubby is a civil engineer designer) about killed me! I thought my heart was going to explode. Yesterday was better, we'll see how today is.

I'm glad that the holidays are over, I want to get back to daily life. :D Got my additional threads in for the Big Bang Theory, so been working on that in the evening. Also been creating some other artwork in Illustrator as I really do like to do hand embroidery and want to create 12 blocks for a quilt this year. Yes girls start laughing. I want to finish it in 2012!! Sandy, pick yourself off the floor!

Well, Don is nagging me to get ready for THE WALK. Man is this what it's going to be like every morning?!? I need to get up earlier 'cause I need another cup before we leave.

Love all, prayers for Emily, Heaven and all in need, plus huggers to all as well, Ruby

K. McEuen
January 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
I'm thinking I want to do New Year's with Monique. Seafood Fest. There are some huge drawbacks to living in a land-locked, dry, desert state.

Nena
January 3rd, 2012, 12:38 AM
Yes---Happy Monday to all. I must say, I did enjoy myself today-much better then yesturday. I spent the day organizing my sewing room, drinking my favorite coffee and working on my block of the month quilts that I got seriously behind on. I do have a good excuse though---all those wonderful gifts I had to make and finish for christmas. Now that it is behind me, I can focus on my stuff again. Ate left overs and just wore bum clothes---feel great though. Weather was terrible today. Suppose to get Lake effect snow storm tonight and into tomorrow. Not looking forward to that drive to work in the morning. Well at least it is only a 4 day work week instead of a 5. See you guys tomorrow.

lilmouse
January 3rd, 2012, 04:27 AM
Hope everyone has a happy and healthy and safe New Year...and gets lots of sewing done! I worked all day today and tomorrow and Wednesday are my days off...my GF and I are going to work on her quilts..have been teaching her...she is my first student!
Will let everyone know how it goes...really looking forward to it. Hoping to finish my charity quilt tops enough to get them basted and ready for quilting..need my quilting time...sewing time too...haven't done much sewing this last week!