PDA

View Full Version : Cutting it Close

Meli
January 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM
Just finished cutting fifty-five 2 1/2" strips from 4 yards of fabric. After squaring off the end, I got my 55 strips, with 1/2" to spare. Next time I'll try to give myself a little more wiggle room!

oldgurl4
January 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Hee-Heee
GOOD JOB!!

You Know THe Sayingggg....

A Wiggle Goes a Looooonnnngggg Wayyyyyy...Hee-hee

Loonwatcher
January 1st, 2012, 03:10 PM
I'm so......let's say thrifty (instead of miserly) that I'm always cutting it too close. I really need to get in the habit of buying extra. Can always make a matching storage bag or pillow cases to go with the quilt or just add it to my teeny stash.

MRoy
January 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
I've bought the same two fabrics 3 times for one project. Both times I went to buy more, one of the bolts had been moved and I panicked thinking it might be all gone. The last time I figured I needed 1/2 yard of each, but when the clerk and I finally found the second fabric I bought a yard of each and told her I was DONE!

toggpine
January 2nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
I managed to cut 2/3 of the pieces correctly, but forgot to reverse about 1/3 of them for my Storm at Sea quilt. I had to go find more of the fabric. Thankfully they still had it. I had to buy enough to fix the problem and enough to make the reverses for the 1/3 I cut wrong so I could eventually use them someplace else.

KathyAire
January 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
That is too close for me. I always buy way more than I need.
I'm doing the 'PatchWork Party'. You talk about miserly!! When you get fabric for those blocks, some of the stores put the 'M' in miserly. If you want to straighten out a cut, you won't have enough fabric. The problem I have with the stingy cut is, some of the employees that do the cutting don't know what a straight cut is to start with. This is the second time that I'm doing the PatchWork Party and it is going to be the last. It is so frustrating. I hate working with tiny pieces.

toggpine
January 3rd, 2012, 04:25 AM
Ooooh Kathy, I'm right with you on the people at the cut table. I don't think they should be allowed to cut if they don't sew! I am not asking for yards of free fabric, I just want what I paid for. At $10+ per yard (even more for our international friends) I don't want to get home and find I have a quarter yard that measures 8 and 3/4" at one end and 8" in the middle and the edges have been hacked up like they used hedge shears to cut through it. Argh!
I have my favorite ladies at the cut counter and have been known to let other folks with just one or two items go ahead so I don't get stuck with the duds. I am not saying that everybody who works at the big fabric & craft combo stores needs to be a seamstress, just train them how to cut a straight line and why we want them to, or keep them off the cut table.
I'll now step down off the soap box.
Thank you... and goodnight.

sunnyQLDmum
January 3rd, 2012, 04:38 AM
Ooooh Kathy, I'm right with you on the people at the cut table. I don't think they should be allowed to cut if they don't sew! I am not asking for yards of free fabric, I just want what I paid for. At $10+ per yard (even more for our international friends) I don't want to get home and find I have a quarter yard that measures 8 and 3/4" at one end and 8" in the middle and the edges have been hacked up like they used hedge shears to cut through it. Argh!
I have my favorite ladies at the cut counter and have been known to let other folks with just one or two items go ahead so I don't get stuck with the duds. I am not saying that everybody who works at the big fabric & craft combo stores needs to be a seamstress, just train them how to cut a straight line and why we want them to, or keep them off the cut table.
I'll now step down off the soap box.
Thank you... and goodnight.

HERE HERE!!!!

I go to the furnishings counter because the lady there is a quilter and knows what she is doing.