PDA

View Full Version : Ice photos

kimsophia
January 16th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Does anybody else have freezing rain photos? I heard a BOOM! last night around 3:30 a.m. and thought we were having a thundersnow. Or thunder ice, I guess it would have been. But this morning we saw this across the street. 139127

Anybody else have freezing rain related photos?

kimsophia
January 16th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Sorry that the street sign photo is sideways...it's flat to the ground.

Kgrammiecaz
January 16th, 2017, 07:13 PM
I do not miss those jersey icy days.

bubba
January 16th, 2017, 08:13 PM
We don't get ice storms often. I think the first one I ever saw was probably 20 year ago and I've only seen a few since then. A few years ago in the middle of the night, I also heard a loud BOOM outside my bedroom window. Scared me half to death. We had snow and it had frozen and the weight made the roof of the gazebo cave in. It certainly is a rude awakening when you hear sounds like that while sleeping.

Bubby
January 16th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Here are a few of ours. You can see the pines bending over to the ground from the weight of the ice. We live in the foothills of the Ozarks in Missouri.

MayinJerset
January 16th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Pines look pretty with their icy frosting, just hope all those branches don't snap off.

kaydee
January 16th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Looks to me like someone drove over the mailbox and the sign.

kimsophia
January 17th, 2017, 12:37 AM
Looks to me like someone drove over the mailbox and the sign.

Yep, I imagine the car skidded on the ice but I didn't see it. Not sure how fast they were going to flatten the street sign too, but obviously TOO fast.

grammaterry
January 17th, 2017, 01:17 AM
Here are a few of ours. You can see the pines bending over to the ground from the weight of the ice. We live in the foothills of the Ozarks in Missouri.

That is absolutely beautiful. I know it isn't a good thing but pretty to look at. I grew up in Missouri and I don't miss the weather, but then again, it didn't really bother me that much either. I pretty much take what I get and try to make the best of it. NC mountain weather is really an awesome place. We get a little of everything but nothing in the extremes very often.

Monique
January 17th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Remember the big ice storm of 1998 that we had here? People were without power for weeks.

seaturtle
January 17th, 2017, 10:34 AM
If we get a winter storm it usually involves ice rather than snow. It's terrible to drive in, but beautiful to look at. Fortunately, we only see it about once every 3-4 years.

songbird857
January 17th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I do remember a few ice storms here. So beautiful to look at, but soooo treacherous!
Back in 2011, we had a freak October snow storm - the trees still had their leaves, and the snow was heavy and wet. I was trying to drive home and almost drove into a power line. There were so many downed (huge) trees, and many people were without power for 2 weeks.
They actually 'cancelled Halloween' that year! I live in a large city, and it made quite an impact.
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/10/historic_october_snowstorm_lea.html

kaydee
January 17th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Yep, I imagine the car skidded on the ice but I didn't see it. Not sure how fast they were going to flatten the street sign too, but obviously TOO fast.

Well, "ouch" to that poor car, but I guess it could have been worse. Take heart in the fact that it looks like you didn't lose a lot of limbs on trees. I recall one ice storm many years ago, in my former home, where all night long we heard horribly loud cracking noises followed by a loud crashing noises. Morning light revealed the loss of many, many very large branches off the trees that lined our back yard. Quite a (costly) mess to clean up. Again, it could have been worse -- no property damage to our home or our neighbors.

We did receive ice here last night in Minnesota. I imagine it would be ok to drive today, but I'm staying put. Good news is were in for a week of warm (ok, relatively speaking) weather here in Minnesota. Yippee!

evy
January 18th, 2017, 08:39 AM
As of right now I am on the couch, ice on the knee and an ace bandage wrapped around it. I went out on the porch Sunday to take a photo of the ice, slipped and ended up in the ER when my knee swelled to cantaloupe size. "Just" a sprained and bruised knee, and a whole lot of body aches. I should have taken a clue from my dogs. They refused to go out and I had to resort to puppy pads in the house! 69 year old women, especially ones who live alone, have no business trying to navigate ice. We had between 1/2 and 3/4 inches here in central MO. It was pretty, but I'm glad its gone.

kimsophia
January 18th, 2017, 04:29 PM
As of right now I am on the couch, ice on the knee and an ace bandage wrapped around it. I went out on the porch Sunday to take a photo of the ice, slipped and ended up in the ER when my knee swelled to cantaloupe size. "Just" a sprained and bruised knee, and a whole lot of body aches. I should have taken a clue from my dogs. They refused to go out and I had to resort to puppy pads in the house! 69 year old women, especially ones who live alone, have no business trying to navigate ice. We had between 1/2 and 3/4 inches here in central MO. It was pretty, but I'm glad its gone.

Ouch! D: Hope you feel better soon!