PDA

View Full Version : Our 1-3 inches turned into 6. Did a man measure?

grammaterry
January 7th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Well, as the old saying goes...about 6 inches and its only 3, but no, the meteorlogists got it backwards this time. Here in Western NC we were suppose to be light. but it is still coming. GS from 200 miles east of here says they have 8 and it is still coming. We have to go into the restaurant because we have motel guests checking in or I think we might just hole up. 30 miles in 2 hours will be grueling, but I think I will ride with DH. No point in both of us being miserable behind the wheel.
For those of you in snow country, north and west of here...just laugh. Rural roads with mountain drop offs are pretty scary and as The South Carolina quilters will tell you, that layer of ice underneath is something else. They sprayed the roads with a brine solution yesterday in hopes of not having that ice layer, but we'll see.
The good news...its beautiful and we are in a draught and this will be good for the water table and it will kill off the flea and tick eggs. Nature has a wonderful way of keeping us a wonderland.
When DH got up he said we would probably just stay home. I found myself planning my sewing. I took the old machine into the restaurant yesterday and got a head start of a DP9. But everything is there for that. BUt, not to worry...I have a top almost finished here at home that just needs borders and then it will be ready for sandwiching and quilting. Good to have multiple projects going.
Still wondering which one I will work on today. lol

Anitamae56
January 7th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Be careful !! And let us all know when u get back home safely!

DeniseSm
January 7th, 2017, 12:48 PM
I'm so glad to hear that you tried taking your old machine in to the restaurant. Days should be filled with as much joy as possible, and quilting is my joy.

seaturtle
January 7th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Terry, it's so great that you now have a machine in each location and can work on something no matter where you are! I love that for you. Stay safe if you must go out. We didn't get much in the way of snow, but we're covered in a thick sheet of ice. No traveling going on around here. I think I'll spend the warm part of the day working on 365 blocks.

Caroline T.
January 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Just got a report from family in Georgia, seems weatherman got it wrong there too. They were expecting up to 8 inches, but only got a dusting.
I have a niece in NC, i'm sure she and her kids are loving it. They recently moved there from Florida so it's their first snow.

Bubby
January 7th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Be careful, Terry. I hope your ice melted with the brine.

shirleyknot
January 7th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Only about an inch here, and I don't have to go anywhere which is good, since they don't bother clearing roads here. They just shut down the schools instead. But I must say this morning's 9 degrees is MUCH colder than it has a right to be. NOT used to that at all!

Navy Wife
January 7th, 2017, 01:40 PM
We got about 3 or 4 inches as predicted. It's quiet and beautiful this morning. I can barely see the foothills of the Smokies, so I guess the snow is still coming down there. We're warm and have plenty to eat, so I'm heading to the sewing room.

JCY
January 7th, 2017, 01:42 PM
My SIL & niece were supposed to move today, but it's been postponed till Mon. because of the predicted snow there. They live in Kodak, TN. We didn't get as much here as they had predicted (6-12"), but the 8.5" was plenty! Some areas of the Colo. mts. got anywhere from 15-30". I'll just be glad when the bitter cold is over. It was -12 yest. a.m. & -2 today. Stay safe, Terry.

jjkaiser
January 7th, 2017, 01:43 PM
No new snow in Wis but our 5th straight day of temps around 5 degrees and windchills minus 10 to minus 20. Enough already. My dog is itching for a nice long walk but I am not going out there! Supposed to warm up this week.

Patsquilting
January 7th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Well, we moved from CT 7 months ago. To wake up to 5 1/2" was nothing there - but here? We were hoping we didn't have to shovel for a while. One of the 1st things we sold before moving was our snow blower. We went out shoveling did our driveway, walkway decks and porches. Didn't see a soul - but we did feel like there were many eyes watching us. NO - I do NOT miss this at all. Even the cows in the pasture land behind our house slept in this morning. We are in the Greeneville, TN area. Yes, it is beautiful - and I don't plan on doing anything else for the rest of the day except sew. Be careful if you have to go out anywhere. Stay warm - but stay safe.

MayinJerset
January 7th, 2017, 03:05 PM
It's still coming down and predicted to keep it up until tonight, no surprise that DS#1 called and cancelled meeting for dinner tonight. Better get something rustling on the stove for dinner At Home. Some thick veggie soup sounds good, think we have some hard rolls to go with it.

laura44
January 7th, 2017, 03:18 PM
No snow here, but we are supposed to get the "once in 10 years" rain storm.
They have a fill your own sandbag station available. I have only lived in my house a year,
but in 1995 my city had a huge flood with people standing on their rooftops. Since then
the government has spent millions on flood control. Supposed to rain for a week, with
snow run off from the mountains 1 hour away. Still I will take rain over snow anytime.
Everyone stay warm and dry, drive extra careful.

Midge
January 7th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Those of us who live in the north can laugh at the weather weenies who panic when there is a dusting of snow, but the amounts you are getting is definitely no joking matter. Also the atmospheric river predicted for California. Dangerous weather folks. Just hope everyone stays safe.

GrammaBabs
January 7th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Hello all..
I look forward to this!!!! Holidays are over and being retired we just go into heibernation mode... Many years of having to get to work (grocery clerk for me)... was not fun,,, so now we bask in the glory of living in the retirement comm. and keeping the supplies always in for sewing, soups and comfy meals... we are expecting about 18".... but who know.. the more sophisticated they get the worse they get at predictions.... Good luck to all our friends that plan "trips" during the COLD weather....LOL
Happy quilting and sewing... my top and backing are loaded for this afternoon:))) Be safe all ,,, Hugs, GB

Judy, USMC
January 7th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I've been complaining about the roller coaster weather we've had here in coastal NC for weeks. 30's one day and 2 days later it would be in the 70's. We were suppose to get a trace to 1 inch of snow. Well, it didn't happen - we were on the warm side of the front. No snow and a lot of disappointed kids.

What we did get was rain and temperatures in the upper 20's. So the car locks and doors are freezing shut with a coating of ice over the key locks. The wind did pick up and we had gusts that knocked over a couple of pieces of yard art - other than that it was uneventful here. Looks like Terry (in the mountains on the western side of the state) got the snow we should have gotten.

seaturtle
January 7th, 2017, 06:03 PM
We got about 2" of ice with a dusting (maybe and 1") of snow on top of it. And yes, we did close down most of north GA. Other friends have reported much more snow in other areas and some are saying only rain. But the frigid temps will keep everything frozen for a while. I have already heard from my church that they are cancelling services for tomorrow. Looking ahead, we're supposed to hit 70 degrees on Thursday. Strange weather.

MayinJerset
January 7th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Wonder how much DS#3 got, he lives up in Mass. somewhere near Grandma Babs. We'll know how many inches we received as our 'snow' guy is out there right now clearing the drive and walks, we pay him for removal by the inch. It will fell good to know we can get out if necessary but our plans are to stay cuddled up indoors.

mischiefkat
January 7th, 2017, 10:01 PM
I know no sympathy for me. I live in the deep south and my heat just kicked on. We have had a steady cold rain all day and more forcasted for tomorrow. Temp is suppose to be in the high 30's when I leave for church tomorrow .... I know you have a lot of crazy drivers trying to navigate on the icy & snowy roads. Just be glad the rest of them are here trying to navigate in the rain. Stay safe & warm. Kathy

Kgrammiecaz
January 7th, 2017, 10:41 PM
I know no sympathy for me. I live in the deep south and my heat just kicked on. We have had a steady cold rain all day and more forcasted for tomorrow. Temp is suppose to be in the high 30's when I leave for church tomorrow .... I know you have a lot of crazy drivers trying to navigate on the icy & snowy roads. Just be glad the rest of them are here trying to navigate in the rain. Stay safe & warm. Kathy

I know what you mean. I am in Orlando and I cancelled meeting my daughter for coffee because it was raining and cold out. My daughter was out shopping and said no worries, it was really cold out. My apartment is cool, but no heat on. I sure dont miss Jersey

grammaterry
January 8th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Well, I'm home tonight and all is well. A few people ventured out to the restaurant and were amazed we were open but glad. Apparently Asheville used the snow as an excuse to close up. THe roads are mostly clear, the sun came out this afternoon and it is about 18 degrees right now. This too will pass. The media just gets us all reved up for the sake of their own exposure. I really almost want to just stop listening to all of them but then I would feel like I had my head in the sand. It was a lot better to come home with clear roads and no persipitation. and the new top is coming along pretty good. A little weird without an iron! I'll bring the pieces home tomorrow,iron and square them up before I put them together. Hopefully, that will be good enough.

Midge
January 8th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Grammaterry, I get what you mean about the tv weather forecasts. I have stopped watching them entirely and only go to drama free sites to get weather forecasts like weather underground or accuweather.

tamsterg7
January 8th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Well, I'm home tonight and all is well. A few people ventured out to the restaurant and were amazed we were open but glad. Apparently Asheville used the snow as an excuse to close up. THe roads are mostly clear, the sun came out this afternoon and it is about 18 degrees right now. This too will pass. The media just gets us all reved up for the sake of their own exposure. I really almost want to just stop listening to all of them but then I would feel like I had my head in the sand. It was a lot better to come home with clear roads and no persipitation. and the new top is coming along pretty good. A little weird without an iron! I'll bring the pieces home tomorrow,iron and square them up before I put them together. Hopefully, that will be good enough.

Hey Terry - glady you madenit thereband back safely! If you have an old;tv tray and a staple gun you can make yourself a little travel ironing board for the restaurant! Nimmade one and will try to post a pic tomorrow. Got the tv tray at goodwill for $5, coveredmit wiyh batting and a scrap of heavy canvas like material.