PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Saturday

Ginny B
January 7th, 2017, 11:19 AM
So it looks like we'll be getting some of the white stuff today. It will be a good day for taking the tree down and sewing!

Dh and I had a nice dinner last night with some former school board members that dh served with a number of years ago. They are all such very nice people. The rest of the plans for the weekend are to put Christmas stuff away, do laundry, sew/embroider, watch football, and start packing for our trip to California. I need to go get another suitcase for the trip and now we need to add "New Phone" to our shopping list. Dh's phone just quit working yesterday morning. But shopping will wait until tomorrow. Today we'll concentrate on inside/at home things and watch the snowfall.

Be safe all who are dealing with winter weather. Enjoy your Saturday.

LynneLeavell
January 7th, 2017, 12:11 PM
We had our first snow for the year. The last time it snowed was three years to the date of Friday, January 6, 2014. It pretty much shut us down. It was snowmagiddon (sp) for us. I'm just glad the Governor learned something from it. They closed schools 2 hours early so by 3:45 I had everybody home. We probably got about 2 inches at our house.

I guess today will be a day of organizing and cleaning and trying to get to my sewing room. I can tell hubby is getting older and doesn't like the cold as much any more. He would have done been out a couple of times to check it out. We may get out later this morning but I'm not in a hurry.

Every one stay warm, dry and safe have a great Saturday.

Bubby
January 7th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Morning Everyone,

We still have our snow and ice. We think Jeff fixed the freezer fan and soon we will bring what little food that wasn't ruined from outdoors. Luckily the weather has been in the single digits. This has been an ordeal for sure on top of the drain in the kitchen.

Ginny, we are taking a few Christmas things down today, too. We need to go to the storage unit to get the totes and boxes that house our Christmas items all year.

Olive seems to feel well today and both Girls are happy Daddy is home for the weekend. I think they get tired of me and they know they can get away with more mischief with Jeff.

Snow in Georgia....what a treat! I'm sure nobody knows how to drive on the white stuff, so take care if you go out on the roads. Around her it's not the snow/ice we have to worry about, it's the other drivers.

Have a great day friends.

JCY
January 7th, 2017, 01:47 PM
My son in Chesapeake Beach, MD also is getting snow today. They're expecting 1-3". He works in downtown D.C. He stayed home yest. & worked from home. It's their first snow of the season.

Navy Wife
January 7th, 2017, 03:02 PM
You are so right, Bubby. Drivers around here have no clue about snow, and I'm one of them! I'm from Georgia and a menace on the roads. But I don't have to go anywhere, so y'all are safe.

Cathy F
January 7th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Hi All,

Late start for me today. The weatherman said 2-3", but we're already way past that and it's still coming down.

Granddaughter was starting vacation and scheduled to fly in to Ft. Lauderdale last evening with 2 friends, if you saw the news and the shootings that didn't happen, gunman killed 5 in the baggage area and injured many more. I don't know how I would have held up if she was on that flight and waiting in the baggage area when that happened, her flight was after that. They are rescheduled to fly out this evening but with the weather we'll see if that flight will still leave, and what the road conditions are.

Spent some of the day reading, and in my sewing room sorting UFO's that need to be finished. Maybe this will be the year!

Stay warm and keep safe if your in the storm track.

Iris Girl
January 7th, 2017, 05:34 PM
No snow here it is tracking just to our south. The next county down is getting snow but it will not make it up and over our mountain. Yay! It is gray and cold only reaching 24 today.

Lacey
January 7th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Hello! We didn't have snow but it was freezing here, especially last night with the wind. When I woke up it was 26 degrees, very cold for a southerner. Just returned from visiting my DD, we went out to lunch and some shopping. DH and I are getting ready to watch the Houston Texan game. We are ordering a pizza for delivery later maybe after halftime. I hope to get started on my apron string block for my sew along group later tonight.
Best wishes for everyone to have a great weekend!! Stay safe and warm!!

KarenC
January 7th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Walking group was cancelled because of the cold weather, that Lacey just described. Made a few more trips to the new house. Met one of he neighbors yesterday. Purchased some drawer organizers and started that process. Came home, watched the Texans. They were winning when I left for the last trip to the new house. Am now baking cookies. I have a co-worker who helped me by destroying my old hard drives (a bunch of them) and a guy at the dealership who was able to retrieve my mailbox keys for me. They had fallen into the track of the seat.

The long arm gets moved on Wed. I am itching to finish this move and be able to start sewing again. Since I am doing this move myself and have been in this house 35 years, it's a slow process, but exciting. (at least most of the time) . Hope everyone stays warm and safe this weekend.

Ginny B
January 8th, 2017, 01:25 AM
Yup Cathy F, they sure weren't quite on the mark this time. It's just about stopped snowing now but the 2-3" is more like 8". But that's fine with me. I had planned on staying in today anyway to get the Christmas tree down, etc. and I did get into my sewing room too! :) We will shovel and clean off the cars tomorrow. Tonight we watched the Seahawks will their game.

Sleep well everyone

Yanna
January 8th, 2017, 02:00 AM
It got down to 29 last night and expect the same tonight. Will be in the 40's tomorrow then going back up to the 70's for the next week. We are not use to that cold weather. I love it but my husband is freezing. The only time I get to pick up the mail is when it is this cold.

MNnancy
January 8th, 2017, 02:15 AM
Woohoo, we're experiencing a heat wave today! It actually made it above zero. Cold or no, the dog must be walked, so we've been tromping through the woods even on subzero days. (...it was negative 27 both Thursday and Friday morning!)

The wildlife has to tough it out as we do. We've been spreading cracked corn and sunflower seeds on the ground for the wild turkeys and the deer to feed on. There were no acorns this fall, and below our snow is a thick layer of ice from an earlier freezing rain, so it's really hard for the critters to dig down to find food. This morning there were 40 turkeys feeding, and later in the day, 14 deer showed up.