PDA

View Full Version : This Night Owl wants an insulated birdhouse!

Judy, USMC
January 7th, 2017, 03:02 AM
So the big news here in the south is the winter storm warning. Right now it's a cold rain ... and a bit of a biting wind also. So I'll be putting on the longjohns during the day tomorrow. We went to the grocery store Wednesday so food & beverages are no problem.

Been playing with my new sterilite containers for the charm pack storage. And the bags to store the FQ's should be here tomorrow so looks like I'll be sorting and reorganizing again. But it will be worth it ... I usually pack too much fabric when I hit the road and this should prevent that problem.

So what's happening in your neck of the woods?

BTW: North Carolina has already been declared in a state of emergency by the governor.

snippet
January 7th, 2017, 04:18 AM
I have winterized too Judy - I'm wearing socks and under a quilt. LOL but it is cold tonight so the heater is doing it's thing well.

Tomorrow I have a Maintaining Your Featherweight class in the morning. I'm looking forward to it, but it is on the far side of Austin which is about a 2 hour drive from me. I'm not looking forward to that.

Made my mug rug for the Mug Rug Crazy group and got it in an envelope ready to mail. It turned out really pretty. I might just make a few more.

I finished a cross stitch project too. Bordered it with fabric and put a backing on too. So it's a cute wall hanging now :) I think I will keep it for once instead of selling it at the church sale. While I was putting away my cross stitch things, I moved a bunch of cross stitch fabric and lo and behold a quilt pattern I had been frantically searching for fell out of the stash! It's the Fold N Stitch wreath pattern. A friend and I were going to make it together but I couldn't find my pattern. She said she'd lend me hers since she knew I had it too. But I didn't want it; I was bound and determined to find it or never make it. Well I guess I'm making it now! lol

I sure hope everyone stays warm and safe through this cold storm the US is having!

Judy, USMC
January 7th, 2017, 04:40 AM
Carol - I've seen those wreaths! There's a local gal who makes them for all occasions. Think red & white hearts for Valentine's; green & white Shamrocks for St Patrick's Day; red/white/blue for Memorial Day to the 4th of July ...

That would keep you busy in your "spare time" ;-)

AMG
January 7th, 2017, 11:13 AM
We got snow in Texas yesterday as well! I knew it was going to be cold but my weather app had only a 3% chance of precipitation so it was a real surprise; we only got about 1/4" accumulation but that's a lot for us, lol!

Sharyn J
January 7th, 2017, 12:33 PM
No snow here but very cold! I'm prepared to stay inside. Have plenty of food and lots of chores. Hope to get to some quilting today.

Judy, I saw the news of the ice storms in NC. Nothing worse than ice storms, especially if power is lost. Hope you don't have to travel for awhile!

LynneLeavell
January 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM
My husband was in North Carolina all week for meetings at different Power Houses. He got home just a little before yesterday. We have some snow and ice at our house. I hope to get things moved out into my sewing room today. I plan on making one of the Fold N Stitch wreaths, but hopefully mine will resemble a Sunflower. That is one of my favorite flowers. I just love the way they look.

Everyone stay warm and safe.

kimsophia
January 7th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Hoot hoot? I'm not much of a night owl now. I have been so sleepy lately that I've had to turn off Golden State Warriors games and go to bed, and I love three point shots! But last night they weren't sinking many anyway...it was very cold and windy here yesterday but it's up to 14 degrees today and no wind. This house gets a wind chill even with good insulation, Judy ;-) I actually baked up some pumpkin pie filling the other day just to heat the house up. I definitely recommend it as it takes all of five minutes to whip up and then an hour of bake time :)

I was happy that I won the auction for an already-started sampler on my list. Some nice person already sewed the gazebo and that looked like hard work from the plans. They also have a lighter colored "Confederate Gray" linen that what I got. I'm not sure what I'm going to make with mine. It cost $18 for a rectangle roughly a quarter yard. :P I was curious why cross stitch linen was so expensive so I started researching it on the internet. I stumbled upon this YouTube channel with 138 videos by two brothers who actually live in a kind of living history farm. They are quite the historians. They show all the steps to make their own linen, from planting the flax seed to using spinning wheels. It is so difficult that I can understand why it's so expensive. They also show a Pennsylvania Dutch "baking day" in an old brick oven out in the yard. They show making sourdough from making a starter from yeast in the air. So as you can imagine, it takes many days to get to baking day and you see every step. Even I am not nerdy enough to watch the entire series including oven construction at various local farms, but I came back for the cooking parts. :)
So if you are interested, it is this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/attheHermitage/videos