PDA

View Full Version : Snow in Georgia???!!

seaturtle
January 6th, 2017, 05:38 PM
We've been waiting for the wintry weather to hit our fair state for about a week now. The weather service is convinced we might actually see some snow today (or tomorrow, depending on which channel you listen to...). The headlines of today's paper says it all...

Notice the headlines underneath..Up to 4 inches of snow expected...Residents advised to plan on being home for 3 days.

Let me explain what that means in GA..I was at the grocery store at 9:30 this morning. This is NOT a rural area, but a suburb of Atlanta. This is a major chain grocer (Publix). The bread shelves were half empty and there was no ground beef left in the store. Well, no normal ground beef. I think there were still 3 packages of the grass-fed organic stuff that sells for $12/lb. The milk was flying off the shelves. The store was rather crowded. I overheard one of the staff remark to a co-worker, "Do they really think they'll starve in 3 days?"

At about 12 noon, most of the surrounding counties had closed the schools - you know, just in case. No precipitation of any kind had fallen yet.

By 1:00, DH's company thought it would be good to close the company so no one will get caught in the 'storm' on the way home. I think it had just started drizzling (rain) at that point.

Still waiting for something exciting to fall from the sky. DH & DS already got bored and went to go shoot hoops at the Y. Since it looks like we'll be home for 3 days, I'm headed to the sewing room. If I haven't checked back in by Sunday, send someone to help dig us out.

dwil23
January 6th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Sooo funny! Being a Florida girl, I can't imagine a snow storm. However, I have many (most!) friends that are from the north that are laughing hysterically at the news media and how they are hyping this storm. To them, this is just winter, Ho-hum. Walked to school in worse - both ways - uphill.

Good luck, stay safe and get some sewing done. I would love to be snowed in for a few days - and I think I would do just fine with what I have in my pantry and fridge.

Vonnie
January 6th, 2017, 05:48 PM
LOL - I know what you mean! We lived in Montgomery Alabama for 14 years and it snowed 3 times. One of those times was 3 inches of snow and it shut the place down for 3 days. The main reason, I think, is that no one there knew how to drive on snowy/icy roads. Also, no snow plows.

MRoy
January 6th, 2017, 05:49 PM
I was supposed to be on a conference call with someone from Atlanta at 3 pm ET. She sent a message just before 3 to reschedule because the company was closing due to inclement weather coming. My first thought was "Atlanta is shutting down now." LOL! Stay safe and warm.

Caroline T.
January 6th, 2017, 06:06 PM
My sister lives in Atlanta, and I recall a couple of years ago you'al had similar weather,. I can understand schools & business closing early just in case. My twin nephews got stuck on the school bus for over 6 hours due to snow & ice and traffic that time. Atlanta's transportation department isn't equipped to handle that kind of weather. And most drivers there aren't experienced in driving in it either.

I'm originally from Florida, now in western Washington and our weather is very similar to atlanta's. So I say, don't take chances, be prepared, stay home if you can, be safe.

Monique
January 6th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Just be safe everyone.

bubba
January 6th, 2017, 07:00 PM
......this made me giggle!

Hulamoon
January 6th, 2017, 07:09 PM
How funny. There was a woman on the news this morning. "I didn't move here to be in snow" lol

Navy Wife
January 6th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Reminds me of several years ago. We were heading to FL for the winter. Some friends from Montana needed a place to stay in between jobs, so they house sat for us. I warned them about snow, and of course they laughed. Well, we had a 5 inch snow while we were gone. I got a note from them saying, these people in TN have no idea what snow is all about! My reply was, I warned you!

Judy, USMC
January 6th, 2017, 09:01 PM
We've got a similar thing going on here in Coastal North Carolina. Grocery stores selling out of bread, milk, water and lunchmeat. No fresh meat sales (like hamburger) because we are total electric so there will be no cooking because the stoves won't work.

Winter storm warnings are the lead in every news venue and screen crawls on the TV every 15 minutes. They are asking everyone to stay home - stay off the streets from 9pm tonight until mid-day on Sunday. They started salt brining the streets last night (no plows or salt trucks here either.) I grew up in Chicago and was amazed the first time I had to experience southerners driving in the snow.

Total accumulation expected - - - wait for it - - - a Trace to 1 inch! (You northerners can stop laughing now.)

cashs mom
January 6th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Everything shuts down here if there's sleet/snow/ice. I stay home because I don't want to be on the road with those people. LOL

Cindy, I can't believe the Publix charges $12/lb for grass fed ground beef. I buy it here from Sprouts or Kroger for $7.99/lb! I have like 6 lbs in my freezer now. What a rip @ $12/lb. I always keep stuff on hand so I dont' do the panic shopping thing anymore. I'm so thankful.

K. McEuen
January 6th, 2017, 09:31 PM
We got snow last night. A couple inches. Albuquerque isn't really prepared for snow, even though we get it a few times a year in the city, because the sun comes out and melts it off in a day or so. I just took this picture out the back door. The mountains got plenty of snow yesterday and last night, probably 8 to 10 inches on this side and it is all gone from what I can see because of the sun. Notice the color of the mountains in the sun. Those are the Sandia Mountains. Sandia means watermelon. The granite is reddish pink in the sun.

dizzyLiz
January 6th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Ok I'm originally from Buffalo, so I know about snow LOL. I now live in upstate South Carolina. I live in a rural area. What happens here is it snows, then partially melts as soon as the sun goes down, and then you are dealing with ice. Roads are sanded, but our state doesn't have the equipment to deal with it. I have to drive 30 miles to work, and cross 3 bridges ( one a double bridge), over lake Hartwell to get to work. Bridges being concrete over the water always freeze, add to that folks don't know how to drive in it, and I choose to stay home. It is sleeting now and we are to get 2 to 8 inches by tomorrow afternoon, with low temps in the teens through Monday.......I'm not leaving home until Monday mid morning

seaturtle
January 6th, 2017, 11:41 PM
Ok I'm originally from Buffalo, so I know about snow LOL. I now live in upstate South Carolina. I live in a rural area. What happens here is it snows, then partially melts as soon as the sun goes down, and then you are dealing with ice. Roads are sanded, but our state doesn't have the equipment to deal with it. I have to drive 30 miles to work, and cross 3 bridges ( one a double bridge), over lake Hartwell to get to work. Bridges being concrete over the water always freeze, add to that folks don't know how to drive in it, and I choose to stay home. It is sleeting now and we are to get 2 to 8 inches by tomorrow afternoon, with low temps in the teens through Monday.......I'm not leaving home until Monday mid morning

Something interesting is falling from the sky...but it's not white and fluffy - it's ice and sleet. We probably will be stuck until Monday, now. Hopefully, pipes will stay in one piece and power lines will hold. Lake Hartwell is a beautiful area. Hope all is well for you this weekend. There only calling for 2-4 inches of precipitation here, but if it's all ice, it will take a while to melt.

seaturtle
January 6th, 2017, 11:43 PM
We got snow last night. A couple inches. Albuquerque isn't really prepared for snow, even though we get it a few times a year in the city, because the sun comes out and melts it off in a day or so. I just took this picture out the back door. The mountains got plenty of snow yesterday and last night, probably 8 to 10 inches on this side and it is all gone from what I can see because of the sun. Notice the color of the mountains in the sun. Those are the Sandia Mountains. Sandia means watermelon. The granite is reddish pink in the sun.

Karen, those are some beautiful mountains. I don't think I've ever heard of the Sandia Mtn.

seaturtle
January 6th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Cindy, I can't believe the Publix charges $12/lb for grass fed ground beef. I buy it here from Sprouts or Kroger for $7.99/lb! I have like 6 lbs in my freezer now. What a rip @ $12/lb. I always keep stuff on hand so I dont' do the panic shopping thing anymore. I'm so thankful.

I don't know why it's so expensive or if they have anything cheaper than that, that's just what I saw there. I thought about grabbing some until I saw the price. We still have some deer meat in the freezer so we'll use that.

seaturtle
January 7th, 2017, 12:00 AM
My sister lives in Atlanta, and I recall a couple of years ago you'al had similar weather,. I can understand schools & business closing early just in case. My twin nephews got stuck on the school bus for over 6 hours due to snow & ice and traffic that time. Atlanta's transportation department isn't equipped to handle that kind of weather. And most drivers there aren't experienced in driving in it either.

I'm originally from Florida, now in western Washington and our weather is very similar to atlanta's. So I say, don't take chances, be prepared, stay home if you can, be safe.

We affectionately refer to that storm as Snowapololis. I was still teaching at that time - lots of students got stranded at schools. They dismissed all students at the same time and most parents were at work when they decided to close the schools. Everyone left work at the same time and the roads were wall-to-wall traffic (not unusual in Atlanta). Once people came to a stop on the interstates, they couldn't get going again (ice covered) so they started abandoning their cars all over the roads! They started walking home. Businesses allowed people to spend the night in their restaurants, bars, stores. Teachers hunkered down with students in the schools. It was an amazing time. The school boards got blasted for not planning the releases, so now, if they mention snow, everything closes. You're right, better safe than sorry.

tamsterg7
January 7th, 2017, 12:05 AM
My boss is in Atlanta and I called to see if he was ready for snowmagedon. He said it was starting to drizzle, butv they are in the suburbs and might get 3-4 inches. We both laughed and said he wouldn't be in the office for days. Funny thing about the grocery store, we do the same thing here in St. Louis, and we get way more snow than GA. Bread, milk, eggs and chocolate chips fly off the shelves. Nothing like warm chocolate chip cookies after making snowmen.....not sure why we buy the bread.....

snippet
January 7th, 2017, 01:16 AM
I rarely snows here and when it does the entire city shuts down for 3 days. Highways are closed and sand is spread onto the streets even if the snow barely sticks to the ground. Everyone who has been in real snow laughs, but then they shut up when they see how crazy driving with people who have never been in snow is.

One year, 1985, it snowed 13 inches. That was a crazy time! I think the city was closed over a week.

Today it finally got cold all day. I think the temp got up to 30 so I'm huddled under quilts drinking cocoa with amaretto! Stay warm my friends!

grammaterry
January 7th, 2017, 01:40 AM
I live in the mountains of Western NC and the media is really excited about this snow event. I drove home from the restaurant tonight (30 miles) and it took me 2 hours. The windy mountain roads are white and the snow coming down is thick in the headlights. The restaurant was busier tonight than its been in two months. All those people that were told to stay home came out to see what was going on. DH is still there with them now.
Bread and milk at the grocery stores is still an anamoly to me that it sells out. If bread and milk are so life sustaining, why don't you just already have a bunch of it in the fridge. Hummm....
Anyway, stay safe...and you folks out there on the coast from Raleigh to the outer banks...be careful. I know you just really aren t prepared for this at all. And of course, Atlanta is definitely not ready for this.

jjkaiser
January 7th, 2017, 01:48 AM
I used to live in Tennessee but was raised in the midwest. I know what you mean about people freaking out if snow is even predicted, yes total panic before one single itty bitty flake falls. Best advice stay off the roads! Enjoy your little R&R. And just be glad everything closes up. It isn't actually the driver's fault, they just don't have resources in the south for road salt and snowplows so of course the roads are all slippery and dangerous.

jjkaiser
January 7th, 2017, 01:56 AM
Oh Seaturtle: I posted before reading the other posts. Thanks for the photo of the Atlanta Constitution!! That is priceless. What a good belly laugh I had from that headline and the ones below it!!! Expecting 4 inches, plan on being stranded at home for---3 days!!

snippet
January 7th, 2017, 03:28 AM
Talk about rollercoaster weather! This is the forecast for San Antonio this week

I guess I won't be putting up my flip flops just yet.

seaturtle
January 7th, 2017, 12:42 PM
My boss is in Atlanta and I called to see if he was ready for snowmagedon. He said it was starting to drizzle, butv they are in the suburbs and might get 3-4 inches. We both laughed and said he wouldn't be in the office for days. Funny thing about the grocery store, we do the same thing here in St. Louis, and we get way more snow than GA. Bread, milk, eggs and chocolate chips fly off the shelves. Nothing like warm chocolate chip cookies after making snowmen.....not sure why we buy the bread.....

We didn't get much in the way of snow in my neighborhood, but the ground is covered with a sheet of ice. Temps are not supposed to go above freezing until mid-day on Sunday, so we are pretty much hunkered down. We are not close to the interstates, so I can't say what the rest of the area looks like, but we're thinking we should be able to get out on Monday. Maybe he'll be back to work without missing a beat!

seaturtle
January 7th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Oh Seaturtle: I posted before reading the other posts. Thanks for the photo of the Atlanta Constitution!! That is priceless. What a good belly laugh I had from that headline and the ones below it!!! Expecting 4 inches, plan on being stranded at home for---3 days!!

I have never seen a headline quite like that one! At least we can laugh at ourselves!

Carolnnc
January 7th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Terry, you are so brave! I would have a heart attack if I had to drive during a snow storm and especially in the mountains.
It's funny to hear that other places have the grocery store panic. Dear hubby has been working 13 hours a day for the last three days and said he had nothing left to sell in the meat department! Of course he was still required to go in to work today. The roads are not great but he made it okay but they showed the plow truck had wrecked on the highway near our house. Hubby has gone to work no matter what the weather for over 40 years. The year we got 20 inches of snow and right after Hurricane Floyd he drove 20 miles to work to find they had closed the business. I told him he was the only person crazy enough to think of going to work!
Hope everyone stays safe and warm! Great day to stay in the quilting room and watch the snow falling while sewing which is what I intend to do!

auntiemern
January 8th, 2017, 04:54 AM
I know what you mean. People act like they are going to be stranded for days with nothing to eat. Bread, milk, eggs. I guess everyone is planning on living off of french toast while it snows. I don't like it, but I know it is never going to be more than 24 hrs before we can get out. That is why ya have 4WD.

Andrea F
January 8th, 2017, 09:02 AM
That made me giggle! I remember once when I was a child school was closed for a day or two. But I've never heard of businesses closing and people being advised to stay at home because of snow. We had snow yesterday during the day and ice later because it started to rain. It was all gone this morning. My in-laws live more towards the south of Germany and they still have a few inches of snow and more coming. There have also been a lot of accidents yesterday in the south because of the iced highways. Stay safe and warm!

gshannon1008
January 10th, 2017, 08:23 AM
We've got a similar thing going on here in Coastal North Carolina. Grocery stores selling out of bread, milk, water and lunchmeat. No fresh meat sales (like hamburger) because we are total electric so there will be no cooking because the stoves won't work.

Winter storm warnings are the lead in every news venue and screen crawls on the TV every 15 minutes. They are asking everyone to stay home - stay off the streets from 9pm tonight until mid-day on Sunday. They started salt brining the streets last night (no plows or salt trucks here either.) I grew up in Chicago and was amazed the first time I had to experience southerners driving in the snow.

Total accumulation expected - - - wait for it - - - a Trace to 1 inch! (You northerners can stop laughing now.)

We in Charlotte, NC experienced the same thing. 2 inches of snow but it sits on top of a solid inch of ice. Our lovely trees that provide beautiful shade in the summer don't allow the sun to shine through and let the melting start. Schools have been closed for 2 days now. All are safe and warm...and I used this as an excuse to sew sew sew...finished the 1st quilt top of 2017.

seaturtle
January 10th, 2017, 10:54 AM
We in Charlotte, NC experienced the same thing. 2 inches of snow but it sits on top of a solid inch of ice. Our lovely trees that provide beautiful shade in the summer don't allow the sun to shine through and let the melting start. Schools have been closed for 2 days now. All are safe and warm...and I used this as an excuse to sew sew sew...finished the 1st quilt top of 2017.

Most of the schools are closed here also. They got out at noon of Friday and still closed today. The problems are the same as yours - icy roads. The good news is the temps are supposed to warm up later this afternoon, so we should be back to normal tomorrow.