PDA

View Full Version : Monday, January 2, 2017

Monique
January 2nd, 2017, 08:44 AM
2017, wow a brand new year. I wonder what is in store for this year, all good things I hope.

We had a pretty quiet start to the day yesterday. Had to shovel snow, we got quite a dumping on New Year's Eve. I got into the sewing room and cut out a NCW that I am going to attempt, maybe today. I don't know yet if I am taking Doug out today or not. We are expecting freezing rain tonight into tomorrow, so tomorrow is out of the question. I also need to get some projects organized to take to retreat next week.

So right now, nothing exciting is going on around here and that's a good thing I guess.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Bubby
January 2nd, 2017, 08:51 AM
Morning Everyone,

It's really cold this morning. It must be misting, too, because my hair got wet when I took the Girls outside.
Not much happening today. Jeff pulled a muscle in his neck and he's miserable. He may not be able to go back to work tomorrow.

It's time for me to begin getting us ready for income tax time. Our accountant retired and moved to Virginia, but she flies back to Missouri for one week to take care of her favorite clients....Jeff has gone to her for 35 years. I am thinking of making her a little something from us again this year. She loves mug rugs but I've made her too many. Any suggestions would be welcome. It needs to be a no-brainer.

I hope everyone is having a good start to the new year. Take care....

Mimi_Howard
January 2nd, 2017, 09:15 AM
A U-shaped travel pillow. Be comfy on trip back on the plane.

Cathy F
January 2nd, 2017, 09:51 AM
Good morning all,
Quick hello, then out the door for our Monday morning breakfast group.will start taking down the decorations when we get home and probably a grocery store run later as the cupboards are looking very bare. Thank goodness Christmas leftovers are done with, I have e a small pan of the eggplant rollatini in the freezer for a quick dinner on a busy day.

Have no new sewing projects in mind that I feel I really want to do, I guess I should tackle a few of the UFO'S but not really in the sewing mood yet. My girlfriend's retreat is coming up Martin Luther King weekend so I should start to think of a project to work on, providing the weather is good for traveling. It's about 6 hours North of me and they had e quite a bit of snow. There are 7 of us that get together for this each year.
Off to breakfast will check back later!

sew-what2015
January 2nd, 2017, 10:04 AM
Morning.
Monique, maybe make her a small purse or maybe a bag for her accounting 'stuff'.

Miserable morning here with snow/freezing rain mix. Great day to get to my sewing room!
Will check in tomorrow and let you know how much progress I made on piecing the blocks for my Growing Up Odd quilt.
Have a great day.

shermur
January 2nd, 2017, 11:03 AM
Happy 2017!

Since moving back to Missouri....the bond of family has been instated as of yesterday! The final Christmas celebration for 2016 on New Years Day. The laughter, the love was shared as it had not been in several years. For the first time, in a long time we were all together. I pray it continues.....just a few snap shots of our wonderful day!

138634 My Dad, Step-Mom and the Grandkids

138635 Aunt Halona and Conner (DH in the background)

138636 My son, Stephen and Me

138637 My Daughter, Ashley, Me and My sister, Lisa

Ginny B
January 2nd, 2017, 12:13 PM
Good morning everyone. We had a nice relaxing day yesterday. We cleaned up/put away our gifts from under the tree and I gave my Pfaff a good cleaning. She has been quite busy lately. I rearranged a bit too to make room for my embroidery machine. Other than that, it was mostly relaxing on the couch time. But I was still tired enough at 9:30 to go to bed! I slept until 7 and woke up feeling very refreshed.

I spent a little time in my sewing room this morning and made a flannel receiving blanket and a couple of burp cloths for my grandson. We will make the shopping list when we finish breakfast and then I'll put all the ingredients for beef barley soup into the crock pot. After that we'll sit down and watch the Rose Bowl Parade. Hubby will do the grocery shopping after that and I'll be back upstairs in my sewing room.

Barb, what about a zippered pouch or maybe a couple of microwave cozies for your accountant? Sherri, looks like you had wonderful holidays in your new home. I'm so happy for you. What a great way to start a new year.

Be safe all of you dealing with nasty weather. Have a wonderful Monday everyone

Bubby
January 2nd, 2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the good ideas for a gifty for our friend/accountant Deronda. Someday I will make her a quilt, just not right now.

Sherri, are you and your sister twins? The two of you look so much alike. Great pictures of you and your wonderful family.

sew-what2015
January 2nd, 2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the good ideas for a gifty for our friend/accountant Deronda. Someday I will make her a quilt, just not right now.

Hey Bubby. Sorry about the mixup with names. I really thought I read that in Monique's post. Guess I was still half asleep.
When I was reading your post just now, I kept thinkimg...why is Barb saying thank you? DUH!
My sincere apologies.

shermur
January 2nd, 2017, 05:28 PM

Sherri, are you and your sister twins? The two of you look so much alike. Great pictures of you and your wonderful family.

Barb......no, my sister Lisa is 2 years younger than I am. We have another sister (a year younger than Lisa) who looks nothing like us. The Christmas celebration was at Lisa's home!

JCY
January 2nd, 2017, 08:47 PM
Barb, we have to find a new tax person this year, too. We've had the same couple for 38 yrs. Now, he has terminal cancer; chemo no longer is working, so no treatment now except palliative. His wife has a bad aortic valve & a problem with another valve & is facing open heart surgery in the very near future. He's trying to find a buyer for the business. It will be an adjustment to find someone new, whom I'm sure will charge much more than we've paid over the past years.

It was a quiet day here today. I did 3 loads of laundry and mixed up my turkey patties, which took up most of the morning. This afternoon I finished preparing the accounting sheets for our record book for the new year. I'm sure DH is relieved that job is finished. Now begins the totaling up everything & getting info. together for taxes. Ugh!

Mid-day it was 52 deg., but it's dropped into the 30's now at 4:30. I heard on the radio it's supposed to be down to 11 deg. tonight. Chance of snow coming, too.

Our Denver Broncos' head coach has resigned due to health reasons. I think I heard he is 55 y.o.

Well, it's almost time for the news & my afternoon snack. I hope the New Year is getting off to a good start for everyone.

MaryUK
January 2nd, 2017, 08:54 PM
Sherri, I am so pleased things are turning out well for you.

Went to the supermarket today via my LQS and she was unofficially open - she was cutting fabric for her own projects and decided to open the shop in case anyone was passing. I spent a lovely time with her catching up on hers and my news. Then HAD to buy some fabric as it was calling to me and I needed some for the temperature quilt!!! She starts her sale of Christmas fabrics tomorrow but was able to get in first - am back at work tomorrow so a well timed visit today.

Must stop spending as I have gone well over budget!!! Oh well, what's done is done - fortunately the freezer is well stocked or we may have been eating beans on toast for a month!!!

pcbatiks
January 2nd, 2017, 10:21 PM
Sherri, I'm so happy to see that you and your family had a great Christmas and that the move worked out for you. I enjoyed the pictures of your family. Hope you enjoy the new year, your new place and the "new to you" quilt guild.