PDA

View Full Version : buying fabric

mamaquilt
December 30th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Just came home from a little shopping trip from Luxembourg City.
@quilting trish
re. our little chat the other day about not buying new fabric in 2012 until the stash is down a bit.

While I was at the fabric shop this afternoon I was thinking of you and thought that you'd still have 2 days left in 2011. That's why I went this afternoon and I got some bargains, as the Christmas fabrics were on sale.

So I didn't break any resolutions, since we're still 2011. You've your last chance too, today and tomorrow hahahahaha

Have a nice day/evening and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you from Luxembourg

MRoy
December 30th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Very smart thinking MamaQuilt! Happy New Year to you!

quiltingtrish
December 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I was JUST thinking that this morning! The next 2 days are to be in the 50's so I might venture out. Of course, the Joanne Fabric Shop doesn't count for buying there next year since I have 2 gift cards from my boys. It's only $30. worth but if I use it during the sales, I could get $60. worth or more!
The only problem I'll have to get out today or tomorrow is if my son who is home on leave until Monday leaves my car here. He is spending lots of time with friends and of course they don't have a car either. Hmmmm, maybe if I get up before him, I could scoot out in the morning tomorrow. There is always a way around obstacles when it comes to going to a fabric shop!

Hugs,

SuziC
December 30th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I am being SO good this week. No stores for me...i know i will get into TROUBLE. Although i love the sales i am on a NO BUYING thing to get our finacnces under control. BOY IS IT HARD!!!!!

quiltingtrish
December 30th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Suzi - that's why I decided on a no buying thing too - to get our finances under control and maybe put some $ away. We can support each other when we are having major withdrawels.
There is a quilt show coming up here in March - but I usually don't purchase too much since the fabrics at the show are the pricey ones. Of course, there is the problem of staying out of the local shops there when they have major sales. :)))) I will just have to remind myself that if Suzi isn't buying, neither am I!

Hugs,

Sandy Navas
December 30th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Withdrawals . . . is that the reason I'm feeling totally out of sorts?

Must get out and buy fabric . . . NOT!!!!

cyndiofthevortex
December 30th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I went last year without buying much fabric, but I did buy fabric for borders and backing and something I needed for a quilt I was actively working on. It felt really good, actually. There's so much fabric to enjoy in a fabric shop, and maybe a fat quarter is all you need to feel good. I still went and felt the fabrics and admired them, but when you're not there to buy there's no pressure to choose which ones to take home and how much to buy.

I think of it like a diet - if you never have a sweet you feel deprived and then binge. Buy just a little if you need to buy and you'll feel good about it.

Cyndi

Claire Hallman
December 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I so want to go to Joannes, I have a gift card, what is holding me back? I am pooped out, Zumba did me in this morning. Maybe I will rally soon and get moving.:)

lawork1211
December 30th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I dramatically cut back on buying fabric in 2011. A good idea is to swap fabric from your stash for fabric from other quilters stashes. It helps everyone out and you might I also hit the freebie table at my quilt guild hard this year and found some great things. Scraps from other peoples large projects, that I made into table runners and lap quilts. I will be cutting back even more next year, because I need to save up. We are going to have a National Quilt show in Grand Rapids, MI for the next two years. That is only about 45 minutes away!:D
I did go to Joann's Fabrics today, but I only bought batting. It is 50% off and I had a coupon for an additional 20% off. I ended up with 5 yards of the 90" wide for $25, which I thought was a great price. And I still have Christmas money left over.

lilmouse
December 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Glad I am not the only one on a fabric diet.....only allowed to buy muslin and batting; and we just stocked up on batting! So no more JoAnne's for me!

DCM
December 30th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I am so glad I suggested to my husband and son that they make shopping easy on themselves by going to my favorite local quilt shop for gift certificates. I was also surprised to receive certificates from the same shop from 2 co-workers -- now I have to keep myself from spending them all at once! It doesn't help that they just received the Hoffman Challenge line which is absolutely beautiful, and all Christmas fabrics will be discounted 15-20% on Sunday! Restraint is definitely going to have to be a 2012 resolution :)

Canuck
December 30th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Well i vowed i woudnt buy any more fabric, but it seems i need some solid lights now to do my Hexagon tree.Lots of little scraps left in the box but no light solids.Were expecting an ice storm again here in canada so no stores till after thats cleared away. :(Sighs lol.

SuziC
December 30th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Suzi - that's why I decided on a no buying thing too - to get our finances under control and maybe put some $ away. We can support each other when we are having major withdrawels.
There is a quilt show coming up here in March - but I usually don't purchase too much since the fabrics at the show are the pricey ones. Of course, there is the problem of staying out of the local shops there when they have major sales. :)))) I will just have to remind myself that if Suzi isn't buying, neither am I!

Hugs,

Okay, we are in this together!!!!!!!

CrazyMtnLady
December 30th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I wish I could go buy some new fabric. I live on a yearly check from a settlement and don't get that until the end of JUNE!!!! I can't wait for summer... I want to go shopping.........................

ChristineB
December 31st, 2011, 02:51 AM
So I didn't break any resolutions, since we're still 2011. You've your last chance too, today and tomorrow hahahahaha

Haha!! Love it! You get off on a technicality!!!

toggpine
December 31st, 2011, 03:05 AM
Donna, Have you thought about buying 12 "gift" cards to spread out your fabric budget over the year? You can save or spend them as you see fit, but one a month would help your deprived feeling.
I received a lovely gift card for Christmas, and hit the half off the clearance section today at the big J's in the big city for some backing material. I bought 6 yards for $9 ($1.50/yd)!! It is nice stuff too! I also bought fabric for two baby blankets and two matching diaper bags. That was $2/yd. I also found an awesome apron pattern for $0.99 from McCalls. I did not have the extra 20%, but only 10% off coupon. That fabric will come out of the stash. A pretty good day! My last fabric buying day will be Jan 2, 2012. That is the day the two sales overlap! After that, onward with the diet. I am pretty much just shopping for batting on that day, and maybe backing for another quilt if I have it done by then.

quiltingtrish
December 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Thats a great idea to buy 12 gift cards and using them when the stuff is on sale is even better!

Hugs,