PDA

View Full Version : Kindle camera

jjkaiser
December 29th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I am considering buying a new Kindle bc mine(HD Fire 7) is about 5 yrs old and it has a terrible front facing only camera. Horrible for attempting to take pics of a quilt! Did anybody get the new HD Fire 8 or 10 for Christmas? What is the camera like and can you swype on the keyboard?

Patty J
December 29th, 2016, 04:24 PM
I was using the camera feature on my Fire when it took a poor picture of me--now I don't know how to get rid of it. There must be a way. I'll be interested to see what people say about the new versions. I love my Kindle for reading.

toggpine
December 29th, 2016, 05:26 PM
My Kindle is a HD7 Fire. We have had it not quite 3 years. It has both, front and back facing cameras.
When I take a photo, it gives me a moment to decide to keep it or trash it. I can also tap the little image in the corner to review my most recent photos.
It does pretty good for such a little camera.

jjkaiser
December 29th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I was using the camera feature on my Fire when it took a poor picture of me--now I don't know how to get rid of it. There must be a way. I'll be interested to see what people say about the new versions. I love my Kindle for reading.

That's an easy one. Pull up your photos, select from Facebook or Kindle, hold your finger on the one you don't want, tap on icon that looks like a garbage can, it will say are you sure you want to delete this photo, answer yes, and it will go away. I love my Kindle for everything!

Patty J
December 29th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks going to try that and see if I can "ugly" off the screen.

RiverMomm
December 29th, 2016, 07:34 PM
There is a HUGE difference between your old kindle fire and the new ones in terms of cameras. I have an older one as well as the fire hd 10 ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0189XYY0Q/ref=fs_ods_fs_tab_ts ) The camera is better but I still don't like it as much as My iPad or iPhone. Both take much better photos. Yes, I have an iPad too-DH decided that I needed one for my birthday but to be honest, my kindle was just fine for what I use it for. I came very close to telling him to return it but he so excited about his "surprise " for my birthday.

My opinion is that pictures will be ok taken outside but a little disappointing taken inside with artificial light.

I don't think the new kindles come with swype.

My new iPad is great but the $$$$, I vote for the kindle (don't tell my hubby). Wait around for it to go on sale. Maybe Valentine's Day?

bubba
December 29th, 2016, 10:14 PM
I have a Kindle Fire and I can't find a stinking camera! It's about three years old. Do they all come with one or????

jjkaiser
December 29th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Idk if they all have cameras. Mine has a carousel on the front where all your apps are loaded. So go to your home screen. Across the top in a staight line (not a drop down menu) it will show items Shop, Games, Apps, Books, Music, Newsstand, Docs, Photos. Tap on photos and your photo sources will show (giving you choices like downloads, facebook, kindle) and up in the right hand top corner (on mine) there is a little itty bitty camera, you tap on that and it turns your home screen into a camera. There's a widget in the corner of the screen (bottom left) that looks like a flower with petals. You tap on that and it is what snaps the photo. But my camera is front facing only (intended for Skype) so it is very awkward to take a decent photo plus keeping your arm out of the way when you are trying to snap the photo is not easy. Hope you can follow these directions, but I have heard that not every Kindle version came with a camera built in so maybe yours doesn't have one.

MRoy
December 30th, 2016, 12:10 AM
My Kindle Fire is about 2 years old. It has both a front and a rear facing camera.

grammaterry
December 30th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Oh my, all that technology. I just have a plain ol Kindle and I only use it to read books that I download from the library. I have a cheapy cellphone that takes some pretty crappy pictures and I have a 5 yr old laptop that is slow as all get out. BUT...I have a state of the art sewing machine now, thanks to DH's generosity for Christmas and its probably all the technology I'll ever use.

toggpine
December 30th, 2016, 04:35 AM
Pat, maybe I can help you find it when we get together to drop off the jumper.

bubba
December 30th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Pat, maybe I can help you find it when we get together to drop off the jumper.

We could, but I'm pretty sure mine has no camera.

jjkaiser
December 30th, 2016, 12:14 PM
If your Kindle comes preloaded with Skype then you probably have a camera on it. And ladies, are you really on the Forum at 2:00 a.m.?????

RiverMomm
December 30th, 2016, 01:24 PM
We could, but I'm pretty sure mine has no camera.

Pat, it is possible that your kindle fire doesn't have a camera. If is a first or second generation Fire, then it won't have a camera. But all Fires that are 3rd or higher versions have cameras. Fires are now on the 5th generation. One easy way to see what your kindle can do is go look at your past purchases on Amazon.

Skype is possible on the newer Fires. I think Facebook Messenger has video calls too but I haven't tried it on my Fire.

Jjkaiser, I think you will be happy with a new Fire. I was playing with mine and comparing the photos last night and while not as good as my phone or ipad, the picture was ok. I think the low light levels last night affected the picture quality. The pictures this morning look good. The thing that used to drive me nuts with one of my old phones was that it changed colors in my quilt. I found that the colors of the quilt I was taking pictures of last night and this morning have stayed pretty constant with all my pictures.

One upgrade with the newest generation that I just love is the ability to use memory cards. I use mine a lot for traveling and now I can put all sorts of videos, books and audio books without running out of space. I think Kindle Fire is a step ahead of the competition with that feature!

SallyO'Sews
December 30th, 2016, 01:43 PM
I don't have a Kindle, but I have decided that the next time I buy a camera, I want one with a phone in it.
In case I need to call my DS to figure out how to take the pictures. :icon_shake:

toggpine
December 30th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Jocelyn, Pat and I were on about 11 PM our time. Depending on where in the world you live, it may be 2AM there.

Although there have been some nights I met Blondie posting her Good Mornings while is was just heading for bed! So, it is not an impossibility for me to be posting at 2. I don't do that as well as I used to when I was younger though.

bubba
December 30th, 2016, 11:23 PM
I don't have to get up to go to work, so yes, it is quite possible I am still up and posting at 0200! You say that like it is a bad thing! :D

jjkaiser
December 30th, 2016, 11:42 PM
I don't have to get up to go to work, so yes, it is quite possible I am still up and posting at 0200! You say that like it is a bad thing! :D

No no it is not bad! I can't wait till tomorrow, I have the day off and I can sleep in. I am so worn out from the holidays and running around and working I feel like a zombie.