PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday, inching its way to a new year

Monique
December 27th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Good morning. What a day for weather yesterday. We had sleet and freezing rain on and off most of the day. Les was gone to work but we had plans to go to his sister's for Boxing Day Fondue. I didn't think I would make it because of the weather, but I did. I make homemade buns and this year was no different. I also made turkey soup with leftover turkey I brought home from Phil and Jodi's. Had a nap too, but basically did nothing all day. We had a terrific time and the temperatures rose 8 degrees overnight. The roads were better coming home. Everything is shining like a bottle this morning. I certainly hope that people are careful going out today.

I have enough fabric left over from the basket to make my niece a NCW. Not sure when I will get that done. I am wondering if I should practice one first. What do you all think?

Anywho, have a great day everyone. I will be getting ready for our Seafood Fest for New Year's Eve (housecleaning a little) and today we will take the tree down.

SuzyQue
December 27th, 2016, 10:38 AM
After spending a week in Cayman with our children and baby Eli, we are home and back to work. Yesterday, we took down a tree.....just not the Christmas one. We had a very tall, old tree too close to the back of our 2 story house. It has towered over the roof for years and even though we have kept it trimmed, its sheds lots of sticks and twigs every year. We are always worried about ice storms and damage to the house. So...yesterday was warmish for winter so it seemed the day to do it. We had to lay it down just right, away from the house but also avoiding a propane tank, power lines, and of course people! My husband did an excellent job and quick, although it took over 4 hours to cut it up and haul it all off. It really has opened up the view from the back windows and come summer will be sorely missed for its shade! ......but it was past time to go!

I have renewed my desire to get a handle on my stash and scraps again! I measured, rolled, and labeled a large box, then ironed a large pile of scraps to trim. Perhaps 2017 will be the year to finally finish this monumental job! I have goals to not only sew and piece every day, but conquer that Innova!

seaturtle
December 27th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Good morning, everyone. Monique, the temperature ROSE to 8 degrees?? I would be buried under 12 quilts if I lived up there. I can't even imagine weather that cold!

Suzy, how wonderful to escape to the islands for a week with your family. That sounds like a great way to spend the holidays. Glad your DH was able to get that tree down. We have 2 that are passed the time to remove because they are too close to the house. My DH is not allowed to climb ladders, though, so they are still up. The last time we let him on one to clean the leaves from the gutters, he fell off the roof and my SIL was able to pin him between the ladder and the house before he splatted on the sidewalk. No more ladders for him! We made so many trips to the ER one summer, the DR finally told him that the house was winning and he needed to quit.

I am working on an NCW today. This is my second - but it will be my first without any help. I did the 1st one during the forum retreat and had lots of help from the experts we have on the forum. It's a little intimidating to go solo. I've only texted Jean once. Okay, maybe twice :). I hope to get it finished today.

Have a great day, everyone!

Monique
December 27th, 2016, 01:48 PM
The temperature went from 14F to 36F!!

Bubby
December 27th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Hi Everyone....

I will be away tomorrow, as it's the day we take Olive to the Veterinary Hospital in Columbia. The drive is long and we don't really know how much will be involved in the appointment. Dottie will be going along for moral support. I have a sick feeling...
Please keep us in your prayers tomorrow....thanks.

Will see you all Thursday.

JCY
December 27th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ It was a chilly 15 deg. here this a.m. Clear skies & heavy white frost on everything. It's supposed to be in the 40's today. Gotta love that Colorado sunshine!

I did no sewing yest. It was sort of a "down" day for me. Temporarily had a pity party with some tears, but got over it. It's hard to not see family at Christmas time & so seldom in between & never get away from the caregiving. I haven't had a vacation for 3 yrs. But today is a new day. On to other things, right?

With my Prairie Flower quilt, I think I will make a pieced floral border since I don't have enough of any one fabric to go all the way around. I think the extra border will sort of set it off. Most of the comments were in favor of the border.

I've been searching the Christian Book Distributors web site for next year's Christmas cards. Finally placed my order this a.m. Also bought Rory Feek's DVD about Joey which now is available. His book will be coming out in Feb. I follow his blog & updates on his darling dau. Indiana ("Indy"), who has Down's Snydrome, on fb. I re-visited Amy Johnson's web site & ordered 2 larger curved rulers. When they get here, I'll do more practicing with the curved rulers.

Lyons Quilting is having their pre-inventory sale today, tomorrow, & Thurs. I can't make it today, but might run up there tomorrow. Everything in the store is 30% off. I don't NEED anything, but who can pass up a good deal?! That shop has a HUGE selection of batiks! Also Kaffe Fassett fabrics. It's fun to look even you don't buy.

Time to get on with my day.

peggiep
December 27th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Monique --- tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full! Boy you are really popular!

Barb -- praying for Olive and the rest of your family as you make the trip to the hospital

Seaturtle -- good luck on your NCW.

SusieQ --- good luck with your stash.

JCY -- go out and shop..it is great therapy

Have a wonderful day everyone. Hugs and prayers to all

shermur
December 27th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Good news...great day!

I joined the guild in Springfield today (I am member 295) and I got a job offer today...in which, I accepted!!!!!

MaryUK
December 27th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Tuesday here is nearly at it's close. I went sales shopping with DD and picked up a few bargains - just stocking fillers for next year but they were half price so what's a girl to do?
Am still mulling over the idea of joining a couple of groups on here but not sure I can really do them justice!! May just have to "pull my socks up" and get in there!!

Cathy F
December 28th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Good news...great day!

I joined the guild in Springfield today (I am member 295) and I got a job offer today...in which, I accepted!!!!!

Congratulations Sherri on the new job and joining a guild! Looks like this year is ending on a good note for you! Wishing you a continued good year for 2017.

MNnancy
December 28th, 2016, 01:41 AM
Monique, you were brave to drive through freezing rain to make it to your family event. I am not so brave. We have an inch of solid ice coating our roads, so I have not left the house in 3 days. Three glorious days of non-stop sewing, that is! I'm not complaining one bit! :icon_happy:

pcbatiks
December 28th, 2016, 02:10 AM
So happy for you Sherri! Congratulations!