PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone having for the holiday meals?

Cathy F
December 20th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Trying to make some final decisions on the Christmas dinner. Wanted something different this year without a lot of last minute cooking at the stove when I could be enjoying my guests. Having 12 for dinner.

So far I have decided and gotten the pork roast, will have oven roasted potatoes to go with it, maybe mushroom gravy (husband is not liking the mushroom part, so maybe not), and oven roasted asparagus sprinkled with parmesan cheese, eggplant rollatini,( ordered a tray from the local restaraunt) and garlic knots.

Desserts will all be made ahead of time so that will be easy. Making the rainbow cookies tomorrow, cheesecake and cannoli cream Thursday, cheated and bought the cannoli shells and a peach pie and Hagen daas vanilla bean ice cream.
Geez, now I'm making myself hungry

Lori63
December 20th, 2016, 05:14 PM
We are going traditional. Ham, mashed potatoes, ham gravy (yum!), corn, rolls and various salads. Not sure what dessert will be, haven't thought that far ahead!

shirleyknot
December 20th, 2016, 05:24 PM
I'll probably fix a pork chop and a baked sweet potato.

Patsquilting
December 20th, 2016, 05:39 PM
We're having spiral sliced ham with mashed potato and marshmallows, also a deep fried turkey with southern dressing, green bean casserole, rolls - I know I forgot something - Whatever - all is good!!

jjkaiser
December 20th, 2016, 05:51 PM
We are having our usual Christmas brunch which includes scrambled eggs mmade with cheese, eggs, Italian sausage, onions. Also homemade pancakes made with buttermilk, and bacon and biscuits on the side, and for dessert--Kringle and xmas cookies. Then later in the afternoon I will make a meatloaf dinner with mashed potatoes on the side and cheesy corn casserole. And more cookies. And eggnog with brandy--altho it is store bought eggnog but if you put in enough brandy you won't care!!

Iris Girl
December 20th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Pork Roast, gravy, mashed Potatoes, green beans and Pumpkin Pie for dessert. Simple.

sewbizzy
December 20th, 2016, 06:06 PM
We will have lasagna, ham, fried chicken, and cheesy potatoes ...I have the spaghetti sauce and meatballs cooking now...always make a large electric roaster full, so we can have some for the week after...(we love bacon spaghetti casserole)...also, we order the chicken every year from a restaurant near us that is known for their chicken...for desserts my oldest dil makes fantastic pumpkin rolls and all kinds of Christmas cookies...

Hulamoon
December 20th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Why does everyone eat pork for Christmas? Poor piggies.

Cathy F
December 20th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Why does everyone eat pork for Christmas? Poor piggies.

Cause I'm tired of turkey and spiral ham!! LOL

K. McEuen
December 20th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Pork roast, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut is traditional in many homes for New Year's. I just cooked a pork roast last week. It was so good.

For Christmas I was considering shrimp or scallops and even just doing cold cut platter that we can eat on all day. It all depends on what I feel like making (or not) as I am always the one doing the cooking.

Cathy F
December 20th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Everyone's menus sound so good! What time should I stop by for dinner!?

Bubby
December 20th, 2016, 07:18 PM
This may be a little odd, but we will have roast beef with horseradish sauce, Duchesse potatoes, roasted asparagus, dinner rolls and desert....not sure what this will be, but one will be another ricotta pumpkin pie for sure. Taking the easy way out this year.

Cathy F
December 20th, 2016, 08:02 PM
This may be a little odd, but we will have roast beef with horseradish sauce, Duchesse potatoes, roasted asparagus, dinner rolls and desert....not sure what this will be, but one will be another ricotta pumpkin pie for sure. Taking the easy way out this year.

I love beef with horseradish sauce! Never heard of Dutchess potatoes so googled it, looks very good.

CraftyBarb
December 20th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I am having ham, potatoes and a veggie. It will just be my b/f and myself. After years of going to my brothers every year I am taking this year off and just staying home.

Claire Hallman
December 20th, 2016, 09:23 PM
We had our family Christmas dinner last Sunday. We also had pork roast, roasted [dry onion soup recipe] potatoes, green beans with bacon and broccoli salad. There was pecan tart for dessert. Sure was good, too.

MayinJerset
December 20th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Have to check with DGD Catherine as she and her DF have been doing Christmas dinner for her parents and us the past few years. They usually like to do an Italian meal so I'll make a salad and dessert.

Grey Lady
December 20th, 2016, 09:53 PM
There will only be two of us, as we had a large dinner last Saturday. A Tomahawk steak, smashed potatoes, asparagus and horseradish sauce. And a movie marathon running.

Midge
December 20th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Only two of us this time. Vegetarian fare. I usually make eggplant Parmesan but this year I am changing it up to cheese manicotti. I made the ricotta for the first time - kinda fun. And I make my own sauce. Also a rustic Italian bread and salad of baby greens with walnuts, roquefort, and oranges. Will probably roast some brussels sprouts ahead of time since the oven will be full of bread and manicotti. Will serve that cold with a fish sauce based vinaigrette. All faves of my son who doesn't really like sweets, so I won't bother with dessert.

Sylvia H
December 20th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Christmas Eve my extended family gets together for a wide assortment of appetizers and a few more filling items. I am making a pasta dish with sweet Italian sausage, the seven layer salad, "Bourbon, bacon, bbq'd meatballs", spinach dip and an appetizer of goat cheese and onion thyme jam on crackers. The jam is simmering in the crock pot right now.

Up until this year, my children, their families, and I got together for Christmas brunch. My daughter's family will not be joining us this year, so we have made a change to get together for Christmas dinner instead. My daughter-in-law will be cooking. I am donating the turkey, which she will cook. I don't know if I will be making anything. I'll be seeing DIL tomorrow, and we will discuss then.

MaryUK
December 20th, 2016, 10:42 PM
We are going to DD's for the day and We will be having turkey with sausagemeat stuffing, mashed and roast potatoes and various steamed veggies. For dessert it be Christmas pudding with custard.

The day after (known as Boxing Day) we will be home alone so DH and I will be roasting a small ham and a chicken to snack on over the next few days - we love 'get your own when you're peckish'.

bakermom
December 20th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Roast beef Christmas eve at DDs then on Christmas day DH and I will have a brunch of cinnamon rolls, breakfast casserole or DH will treat me to an omelet(he makes killer omelets) .

Hulamoon
December 20th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Only two of us this time. Vegetarian fare. I usually make eggplant Parmesan but this year I am changing it up to cheese manicotti. I made the ricotta for the first time - kinda fun. And I make my own sauce. Also a rustic Italian bread and salad of baby greens with walnuts, roquefort, and oranges. Will probably roast some brussels sprouts ahead of time since the oven will be full of bread and manicotti. Will serve that cold with a fish sauce based vinaigrette. All faves of my son who doesn't really like sweets, so I won't bother with dessert.

I want to try making Ricotta too. I saw a show demonstration and it looked pretty easy.

It's just me so I'll make shrimp, pasta and whatever veggie I can find.

laura44
December 20th, 2016, 11:41 PM
16 for dinner. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cream corn, green beans,
a small pork roast, pasta, rolls, pie, cannolis, ice cream, cookies. Whew, no, I am not cooking all of
it, everyone is bringing something.

Angelia
December 20th, 2016, 11:59 PM
We are having goose, roast potatoes, and asparagus--same every year.

MBCA
December 21st, 2016, 01:00 AM
Turkey roll, cornbread dressing, Louisiana fresh yams a corn and green bean casserole to die for------with that being said guess I need to give the recipe.

Corn & Green Bean Casserole

1 can shoe peg Corn
1 can French style green beans
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
1 stack Ritz Crackers
1 stick butter

Mix all ingredient except ritz and butter and pour into casserole dish.
Crush ritz crackers, melt butter and mix with crackers. Spread over the top of the casserole and bake at 350 till heated bubbling and toaste on top. (About 30 to 45 minutes)

I usually prepare everything, pour into casserole and cover with Saran Wrap the day before the holiday and prepare the ritz/butter topping just before I need to put into the oven (less prep on the day).

Cokie
December 21st, 2016, 01:32 AM
My son is home for the first time in about 3 years and said he'd like to have ham, so ham it is. I ordered a small spiral ham and will pick it up later in the week. Just need a few sides to go with it but it will be a simple dinner. Only 3 of us for Christmas.

carolynrae
December 21st, 2016, 03:41 AM
Prime Rib, Yorkshire pudding, salad, veggies and dessert, maybe dutch apple pie or pecan.

dwil23
December 21st, 2016, 06:52 AM
Prime Rib, Yorkshire pudding, salad, veggies and dessert, maybe dutch apple pie or pecan.

The same! We always have a recipe from Taste of Home called "Must Have Salad". It is so good! Mashed potatoes and a green bean casserole my sister makes that uses fresh green beans, almonds, blue cheese and heavy cream (very healthy :lol: ) topped with bread crumbs. I think we will also have cheesecake and a new pie DD found at Aldis - Cookie Butter Creme.

My sister started the prime rib Christmas tradition about six years ago and everyone kind of expects it now.

Monique
December 21st, 2016, 08:59 AM
I will be making a traditional meal at Phil and Jodi's this year, turkey, potatoes, vegetable, stuffing and gravy. I will also be making some buns, not sure about dessert though. I didn't make any that's for sure.

New Year's is when we have the Seafood Fest, lobster, scallops, shrimp, maybe some crab, and steaks on the barbie.

shermur
December 21st, 2016, 09:21 AM
It will just be DH, youngest DD and myself for Christmas Day. I usually make biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast, but DH can't have it anymore and youngest DD isn't fond of it. So, I don't see the need to make B&G just for me.

I'll probably cook a turkey breast in the crockpot, make green bean casserole (Halona's favorite), rolls and chips. It will be a solemn Christmas dinner, but at least observed. I still need to do Christmas shopping for Halona (her 16th birthday is tomorrow); DH and I are omitting gifts this year for each other. The move has been costly moving from one state to another in the recent week.

Midge
December 21st, 2016, 06:40 PM
I want to try making Ricotta too. I saw a show demonstration and it looked pretty easy.

It's just me so I'll make shrimp, pasta and whatever veggie I can find.

It's just draining it to the correct consistency. I'll let you know how it works for manicotti. I like the full fat ricotta, so this should taste better than that supermarket stuff. Haven't gone out much because of all the ice everywhere, so I didn't get to the real Italian grocery on the other side of town. Love me some Alfredo with shrimp on the side.

nayzie
December 21st, 2016, 06:58 PM
Don't forget the cranberry sauce with berries made with an apple, the zest & juice of an orange throw in a cinnamon stick and a tablespoon of honey; simmer on low 15 minutes then put in fridge. Love this on a sandwich days later with pork &/or turkey yumm

TMP
December 21st, 2016, 07:26 PM
I think we have a rather odd simple menu . On Christmas Eve everyone comes to our house and we have grilled steaks ( DH cooks) b. potato and salad and whatever dessert everyone wants. I put a ham in the oven Christmas eve and everyone smells it cooking all night and I guess I'm lazy but we have ham sandwiches Christmas Day and all the Christmas junk food. For the past 9 years we have gone to DD house to watch the grandkids open presents Christmas morning and DS makes a breakfast casserole.
Everyone's menu is making me hungry.

Sylvia H
December 21st, 2016, 07:43 PM
... we have ham sandwiches Christmas Day and all the Christmas junk food. ...

When I was a single, working mom, I thought I would make it easy on myself and also do ham and turkey sandwiches and a bunch of 'nibbly' things for dinner. Well, now, that is what my family expects, although I would really like to do a full cooked dinner! I am not going to complain though.

lourixe
December 21st, 2016, 08:00 PM
I have just been elected resident cook! My aunt -who has always been the family's chef- is gone to spend the holidays with her youngest daughter. Her other daughter, my sister and I are going to keep my uncle some company. I thought I would prepare the meal in my own house and just carry it to my uncle's, but it seems they filled their freezer and pantry and the menu is set! I was given no choice, so dinner for Christmas Eve is baked salmon with mashed potatoes, and there will be a leg of lamb and veggies for Christmas day.

Navy Wife
December 21st, 2016, 09:43 PM
Christmas will just be DH, DS#1, DDIL and me. Other son and DIL will be in D.C. with her brother and family. Then Wednesday we will gather at DS's with grandson, wife and GGD. I haven't decided whether to have ham, roast beef or pork. Guess I'll see what looks good at the store tomorrow. It will be simple at their request. We had a big Thanksgiving, so none of us need the extra calories. I still can't get used to having both the boys close by! Now if we can just get DD down this way.

Midge
December 21st, 2016, 10:33 PM
Don't forget the cranberry sauce with berries made with an apple, the zest & juice of an orange throw in a cinnamon stick and a tablespoon of honey; simmer on low 15 minutes then put in fridge. Love this on a sandwich days later with pork &/or turkey yumm

Yes homemade cranberry sauce makes an excellent sandwich condiment. It's even better with a little sour cream and freshly grated horseradish mixed in.

cv quilter
December 21st, 2016, 10:34 PM
Our son and my husband each do a prime rib (this year probably on the Traeger Grill). Dinner is hosted by our son, so we transport the roast Fred makes. There are usually 20-25 people who attend. Everyone brings a dish (potatoes, green bean casserole (yum!) Rolls/bread, fruit salad, tossed salad, cranberry sauce, countless desserts. I don't eat prime rib, but don't feel the least bit cheated. So many other things to enjoy. Actually, one of my most memorable Christmases was when we were raising our 5 children and we couldn't afford a turkey or ham or a big dinner. We made a big pot of cheese fondue, cut up a day old loaf of French bread, cut up some veggies, the kids and I made cookies and fudge, made a pitcher of nonfat dry milk/whole milk mix and had a feast. Our daughter (now 50) says that is one of her favorite Christmas day memories. Not much money for gifts, so we handmade gifts. I bought the girls (3 of them) yarn and crochet hooks and I taught them how to crochet. Oops, I got off track. I don't think turkey and ham sandwiches and munchies is such a bad way to enjoy the holiday. Whatever you eat, it's really all about just being with those you love.

jjkaiser
December 21st, 2016, 10:36 PM
Does anyone have a good recipe for cheesy scalloped potatoes ? Thanks

BethB
December 22nd, 2016, 10:15 AM
I used to do a big turkey dinner with all the fixings --- mashed potatoes, regular and oyster stuffing, two veggies, gravy and pies, cookies, ice cream for desert. Once the grand kids started arriving, I decided I wanted to spend more time with them and less time in the kitchen so I started making lunchmeat/cheese platters. Last year I ordered sandwiches already made from our local grocery store, add some potato salad and/or cole slaw, chips, relish plate. For desert, I will be making cupcakes, maybe some ice cream. Much easier to do and clean up later.

tsladaritz
December 22nd, 2016, 05:25 PM
Spiral ham- instead of turkey. Mashed potatoes w gravy, sweet potatoes, green beans, mac n cheese, dressing. All homemade except the dressing- dd is doing that so it will be stove top. LOL Oh apple pie. There will be only 5 of us so that will be plenty.

kimsophia
December 23rd, 2016, 05:57 AM
We sort of have a tradition of making a baked egg breakfast casserole at some point during the holidays...January first is nice since we don't do anything special for New Year's Eve. This one's good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/222611/sunday-brunch-casserole/?internalSource=search%20result&referringContentType=search%20results

snippet
December 23rd, 2016, 10:15 AM
Christmas Eve is usually cold boiled shrimp. My sister likes ham and since Christmas dinner will be at her house this year, we'll have ham. It's not my favorite but I'll deal :) We also have tamales, a South Texas tradition, and venison sausage that was made from a kill this year. Then all the fixings - green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy. Desserts will most likely be pecan pie, rum cake, and lemon meringue pie.

I really like the pork roast idea - I think I'll make that for Easter.