PDA

View Full Version : Al is stepping down from MSQC :(

snippet
December 20th, 2016, 07:42 AM
https://medium.com/@drbillnye/the-unexpected-adventure-22a918679694#.o9s594llu

At first I read this and was terribly sad, but now after reflecting on it a little, I'm also grateful for all that Alan has done. I wish him well in whatever endeavors he comes across. And it's not like he's leaving MSQC totally, because he'll still be on the board and of course in the Doan family.

Best wishes Al! Thank you for all you have done for the quilters around the world.

Monique
December 20th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Yes thank you for all you have done. Best of luck in your new adventures.

KarenC
December 20th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Best of luck in your new adventures

Iris Girl
December 20th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Thank you for the great years and wonderful things you have done and Congrats in the new adventures.

Carlie Wolf
December 20th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Oh no. So sorry to hear this he was so helpful :icon_sniff:

Shirley
December 20th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Wishing him the very best life has to offer. I'm sure he will excel in what ever he does. He's such a sweetie!

Doloris
December 20th, 2016, 10:08 AM
You will go far in whatever you choose to move on to. Glad you are staying on the board, and check in now and then. We will miss you.

GrammaBabs
December 20th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Thank you for being YOU.... it's brought so much joy to us all:)) GB

CraftyJnet
December 20th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Thank you for everything. I know you'll succeed in your next adventure.

Bubby
December 20th, 2016, 10:28 AM
You will certainly be missed, Al. Wishing you the best of everything you pursue. Many thanks to you for all your hard work at M*.

Angelia
December 20th, 2016, 11:11 AM
I will miss you, Al--I appreciate all the help you have given me.

Anitamae56
December 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Best of luck in your new adventure! You certainly will be missed!

Lori63
December 20th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Oh my I was so sad when I first read this:(. But then I remember listening to Al talk at one of the forum retreats and you could tell how much he loved the building of the website, the tutorials and the business. I understand that is totally different than running a business. He's a techy at heart. I wish him all the luck in the world. I know he truly won't be gone, it's a family affair afterall!

BillNye
December 20th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Thank you all!! I'm really optimistic this will be a great thing for the company, our family (mama doan and crew) and for me personally. Thank you for the well wishes! It's funny, I have shared experiences and conversations with so many of you, I treat you all like my industry spies and confidants. I go to you with goofy ideas, or new projects, and you all have been incredibly helpful and kind to me.

I feel really blessed to have you as friends, I suspect I'll still hang around the forum from time to time to say hi, incredibly proud of the team that is taking this to the next stop, what a great company to have touched in a career!

MaggieSue
December 20th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Best of luck in your new adventure!!! You feel like a great friend!!

GuitarGramma
December 20th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Thank you all!! I'm really optimistic this will be a great thing for the company, our family (mama doan and crew) and for me personally. Thank you for the well wishes! It's funny, I have shared experiences and conversations with so many of you, I treat you all like my industry spies and confidants. I go to you with goofy ideas, or new projects, and you all have been incredibly helpful and kind to me.

I feel really blessed to have you as friends, I suspect I'll still hang around the forum from time to time to say hi, incredibly proud of the team that is taking this to the next stop, what a great company to have touched in a career!
Touched? Al, you do yourself an injustice! You haven't just "touched" MSQC, you have built joy and achievement and happiness all disguised as a corporation. Thank you for creating something for us, something that has bequeathed to us friendships and bonds and, oh yes, a quilt or two along the way. To paraphrase your mom, you have made this world a better place, one quilt at a time. Thank you for enhancing all our lives.

auntiemern
December 20th, 2016, 01:23 PM
As happy as I am for him, I am selfish, and very sad for myself. I cry, just thinking about it. I can not imagine about Al not being at the top of M* in the CEO seat. For some of us, the Doan's aren't just the owners of M*, they are friends. I know in my heart that he feels this is right for him, and I truly wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do. I have also been assured he will still be around, and I will still get my hugs when I am in town. For now I will just say....good luck big guy, and you will always be special to me.

jjkaiser
December 20th, 2016, 01:34 PM
You know, you have made MSQC the best, the one that all competitors wish they had your secret formula for! Good luck to you. I wish you well.

EnumclawGramma
December 20th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Best of luck young man, in ALL you do, greatness follows. Without you many of us would have never found this wonderful craft! Thank you Al. You're the bestest of the best! ***HUGS***
(And you know, you can always come home to check in on us from time to time!)

Midge
December 20th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Al, you have built a great enterprise that has transformed Hamilton and your own family, and influenced the lives of many happy people so thrilled to have found quilting. Through you great things have happened, and I'm sure will continue to happen at M*. As you move on to your next chapter, I won't wish you luck, because it's great ideas and very hard work that will generate your next big success story. But I will wish you well and hope to hear more great stories of your adventures.

MRoy
December 20th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Best wishes and good luck with your future endeavors Al! You will be missed, but your legacy at MSQC will stay strong.

lauratreky@comcast.net
December 20th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I got teary eyed reading this post, but as others have said, he will always be part of this business, and more importantly, part of our extended family. Well done, Al, well done!!

JCY
December 20th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Alan ~ Some scripture verses came to mind when you mentioned you are moving on to future challenges. Ecclesiastes 3:

"To every thing there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven...
A time to get, and a time to lose;
A time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak..."

In your case, you've had a time to help your mom in her quilting career, a time to launch a successful business, a time to help revitalize the town of Hamilton, a time to share your laughter & joy to M*'s employees & quilters around the world, and to your family. I'm sure whatever future challenges you face will be met with optimism & skill. You can be very proud of the success of M*. Please keep us updated on how you're doing & where your ventures take you. God bless!

auntiemern
December 20th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Wow...just learned that all 3 owners are stepping away. Al, Sarah, and Dave....I just wonder who is going to be steering the ship.

sewbizzy
December 20th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Al will be missed for sure...he was always so helpful and a positive star for the company!

tamsterg7
December 20th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Al, you will be so missed, but best wishes on your next adventure. Your replacement has some BIG shoes to fill (no pun intended!)

Kgrammiecaz
December 20th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Wow. I too am sad and happy at the same time. Will surely miss having Al around, especially for our techie stuff. And to hear they are all stepping down. Wow is all I can muster to say. Good luck to all of them. I just know they will be wuccessful in whatever path their life goes.

Deegles
December 21st, 2016, 01:52 AM
Whoa! :icon_eek::icon_scared:
The journey he created for the family as well as himself will probably go down as the good years and nothing will ever compare to this greatness he has created. *sigh* hmmmm.....I would wish him luck, but I don't think he will need it! He is a genius!

SallyO'Sews
December 21st, 2016, 04:40 PM
Thanks for everything, Al. All the best in your future endeavors; please keep us posted! :icon_wave:

BillNye
December 22nd, 2016, 12:23 PM
Wow...just learned that all 3 owners are stepping away. Al, Sarah, and Dave....I just wonder who is going to be steering the ship.

We're all moving to the board of directors, where we steer the vision but not the execution. I actually think we are best suited for that role, so it's really exciting to me to just be the brainstorm guy :) Mom and Natalie and Jake and Dad are all staying in the fray, there day in day out, so I don't think you have to worry about anything changing, just some people that are better at marketing, people that are better at building and training employees, and so on, stepping in and helping us get even better. Honestly, I've never been more optimistic for the future of MSQC!

Carlie Wolf
December 22nd, 2016, 12:35 PM
I haven't read all of the thread but did a lot of it. Do we know yet who will be helping out us unruly forum quilters?

auntiemern
December 22nd, 2016, 01:53 PM
We're all moving to the board of directors, where we steer the vision but not the execution. I actually think we are best suited for that role, so it's really exciting to me to just be the brainstorm guy :) Mom and Natalie and Jake and Dad are all staying in the fray, there day in day out, so I don't think you have to worry about anything changing, just some people that are better at marketing, people that are better at building and training employees, and so on, stepping in and helping us get even better. Honestly, I've never been more optimistic for the future of MSQC!
I have no doubt, that the future of M* is as bright as ever. I know that if there were any doubt about who is doing all of the everyday 'stuff' that you 3 have done...you would not step back. I could see the changes, in the amount of 'execs' you had brought on board. I trust in the 3 of you completely, because I know the love you have for this amazing company, and would never do anything that changed the 'nature' of it....especially with your customer base. The whole thing just caught me completely off guard. You know how much I love you and the rest of the family and look forward to more meals, more chats, and many more hugs.