PDA

View Full Version : First embroidery project done

Ginny B
December 10th, 2016, 11:00 PM
I went for my lesson on how to use my embroidery machine and embroidered a beautiful cardinal onto a towel. So now it's time to get it set up here at home and play around with it and see what projects I want to tackle. And sooo many kinds of stabilizers! I think I will spend some time tonight searching the internet for inspiration.

I'm excited. :)

tamsterg7
December 11th, 2016, 02:46 AM
There are so many things you can embroider on and soooo many patterns. If you want to spend time lookingbat patterns go to embroidery library (www.emblibrary.com ) ,tons of excellent quality patterns and they used to have a free pattern every week. Also have an idea and show and tell page. Have fun!

Monique
December 11th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Oh lucky you, have fun playing.

Bubby
December 11th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Ginny, I know how excited you are. Some of my favorite online places for designs are: Embroidery Library, Urban Threads, Secrets of Embroidery and Kreations By Kara. My favorite place to buy thread and pre-wound bobbins is: www.metroemb.com. Their Metro thread is less than $1 per spool and it's comparable to Madeira.

Enjoy your new adventure.

seaturtle
December 11th, 2016, 09:46 AM
You will love embroidering. When I first got started, I was embroidering everything that wasn't nailed down. I second Emblibrary - they have some useful tutorials on stabilizers, threads, needles.

Sandy Navas
December 11th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Cathy, if you want to call in sick for a couple weeks, searching for designs: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?discussionid=4227&do=discuss

Hope that link works - I've posted a list of just about every available embroidery design outlet . . .

And here's another source of supplies: http://www.americanembroiderysupply.com/

And this is another - i've used both successfully and been pleased with their service/quality: http://www.allstitch.net/department/machine-embroidery-stabilizers-embroidery-backings-for-home-commercial-embroidery-machines-10000.cfm?killnav=1

Jean Sewing Machine
December 11th, 2016, 10:18 AM
So glad you are now into the embroidery world! I got my first embroidery machine in 1992. I embroidered a lot until 2000. Then I embroidered only occasionally. I didn't upgrade machines until 2015. So many things had changed in technology during that time that it was like a whole new ball game. When I got my machine, I took lessons, then didn't embroider for about 2 months. I FORGOT EVERYTHING I had learned! So I advise that now, while it is fresh in your mind, embroider like crazy to use what you just learned about all aspects of the craft.

I learned from taking a 2 day Jenny Haskins seminar. Also got my machine and a huge box of supplies through the seminar. I went to another Jenny Haskins seminar later that year for a refresher. Now, I feel fairly confident with the techniques and products to complete successful projects about 90% of the time. Practice does make perfect!

Cathy F
December 11th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Ginny, you're on your way! Once you start you'll see all sorts of things you'll want to make, it's addictive.

Ginny B
December 11th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Holy cow Sandy! That's quite a list! I'll be spending a lot of time checking out these sites. Thanks

Jean, thanks for the tip. I'm going to try and embroider a few nights a week. I think what is most confusing to me at this point is what stabilizer to use when.

Looks like embroidery library is where I'll start looking. So many have recommended it

Cokie
December 11th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I love my embroidery machine! I got it two years ago on a Super Bowl sale - it was a store demo machine and they weren't going to carry that model anymore - focusing on the larger machines. I used it to make Christmas gifts this year - embroidered designs on sweatshirts, names on aprons, etc. I've used it to machine quilt some smaller projects. I still have a lot to learn and will be checking out some of the sites posted above. Thanks to all for sharing them.

Ginny, have fun with your new machine!!

Sandy Navas
December 11th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Best stabilizer explanations: http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/embroidery-2/learn-machine-embroidery-stabilizers/

snippet
December 11th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Welcome to machine embroidery!

I have to say that everyone's recommendations are great. I buy from EmbLibrary.com when I need a design. I have all the Metro Emb thread too, my machine loves it, my pocketbook loves the price, and the colors are so awesome. I buy my stabilizers from AllStitch.net too - great service and products.

AuntieVic
December 11th, 2016, 10:24 PM
WOW, thanks for sharing all the great links. I will be checking all of them out so I can play on my new machine also.

Pandabear
December 11th, 2016, 10:59 PM
I never 'got' the appeal of machine embroidery until I finally purchased a machine this year. Holy crow y'all! I've done a few projects already. I enjoy doing lace (hope that's the correct term) and want to do a few ornaments for my mother-in-law. I'm researching how to embroider on cuddle fabric since I'd like to try a scarf for my sister.

I also feel you about stabilizers. So many! It's confusing at times, but trial and error seems to help a bit.

LindaKay75
December 12th, 2016, 12:37 AM
Ginny have fun with your new emb. machine. You can find nice downloadable patterns from www.embroideryonline.com, some very reasonable. That is where I bought most of mine. I have tried many stabilizers and I prefer the OESD tear away stabilizer. For thread I like Mettler polysheen emb. thread. But you will find what suits you.