PDA

View Full Version : Sundays's fireside chat.

Granny Judy
December 4th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Guess what it's doing here??

I've cleaned up the sewing room and put everything away. I have to get all the quilts I have done/ready for the abuse center to get them delivered. Maybe next week?? My sewing area is now ready to put up a tree and get the festivities going..

And I have made a mess at the kitchen table... getting Christmas Cards made for this year... I spent my Birthday down in bed with a flu bug... but I'm recovering nicely. Love those vitamin drinks.. Emergen-C. I know some of you have your tree up already but mine is still packed away with all the other decorations.. Will be decorating next week..
(Have I enough "next weeks" to be ready for Santa??) I sure hope so..

Are you ready yet???

jjkaiser
December 4th, 2016, 05:21 PM
I have zero decorations out yet. We did not get our tree yet, we get a real one. Our view resembles yours--and currently snowing like mad. Was going to sew today but DH has a blazing fire going and my sewing room is in the back of the house, too far away, so I am alternately checking all the Sunday newspaper ads and the Forum. Tomorrow I am going Christmas shopping all day with my sister!! So now I am making lists. I might be a little behind but somehow I will get it all together in time!

Bubby
December 4th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Our tree is up and decorated. What little shopping we do is done. I'm writing cards a little at a time. We try to keep Christmas as simple as possible.

Cathy F
December 4th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Same here, house is decorated and trees are up trying to keep it simple and stress free to enjoy it. Sewing the favors for our Pilot Club holiday benefit, (mugs rugs) that are very simple so no stress there. I have to make 30 of them already have a dozen or so done. Will start baking cookies next week and put them away. Have a few surprises to get in the mail next week. Starting to think about the Christmas dinner menu have 12 coming for dinner. Thinking a pork roast with an apple glaze, sauerkraut, and roasted potatoes.

seaturtle
December 4th, 2016, 05:43 PM
This may be the first year we don't decorate for Christmas. I still have two whole floors of the house torn up with the floor remodeling project. The contents of all three bedroom closets are in the living room on the sofa and chairs. The china cabinet and contents are also in there. The dining room is full of boxes of hardwood. If anything can go wrong, it has gone wrong and the project is still not complete. The contractors are supposed to be here for the next 4 days getting this done. We will see.

Our youngest is the only one still at home, but he's 17 and understands we may not get through with the project in time to get the tree up. The older two and their families are trying to figure out how to plan around this because they always come here from Christmas. We'll know better this week what to expect, but we are hoping for the best. I haven't done any shopping yet and couldn't begin to guess where my cards are.

We thought we started this project in plenty of time to be done by now, but sometimes you just have to roll with it. I'm thinking of playing Christmas music all week for the contractors - maybe they get the hint!

pcbatiks
December 4th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Like Joceyln........we have no decorations out yet. Maybe tomorrow. Trying to force myself to do the quilting on my Grinch quilt today ......maybe Elf on a Shelf could finish it for me. :D It's been raining yesterday & today & probably will tomorrow.

Navy Wife
December 4th, 2016, 07:50 PM
It has been raining here since last night. We are all happy to see it. Hopefully this will finish putting out the fires in the Park. The situation in Gatlinburg is about the same. 13 dead, 80 injured and 1000 structures damaged or gone, mostly gone. The clean up and rebuilding start tomorrow.

I haven't started Christmas decorations or cards. We usually don't decorate since we go to FL on Christmas Day or the day after. No more trips to FL, so I guess I had better get upstairs and see what I have! I'm about finished with DDIL's elephant, and that's all the sewing I have to do before Christmas. We've had our contractor out all last week doing some handy man type jobs for us. We're getting new windows about mid January. Our double panes have leaked, and I can barely see out of them. A new shower door and we'll be back in business for another year. Mike built the house for us, and comes by about once a year to do repairs. He is a treasure!

Mimis-quilts
December 4th, 2016, 07:55 PM
You are in Central Illinois and it's snowing? Ugh! So it is probably headed this way. Not ready for snow and ice and cold...can we skip winter and jump right into spring? Christmas decorations? Nope, not up, not sure they will be put up. Just not feeling it...plus, I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago, so it's harder to do things.

Monique
December 4th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Tree is up with a few gifts under it. Hubby went shopping on Friday. I did some shopping on the weekend but not for hubby yet. I need to get to the city.

CraftyJnet
December 4th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Our tree is up and decorated. My dh and I made Christmas cards yesterday and had a lot of fun. Some of the shopping is done; I'm still nagging certain people to update their wish lists. None of the wrapping is done.

KarenC
December 4th, 2016, 08:43 PM
The shopping that will be done is done. DD asked for $ since she has no room in her apartment for things. Makes it easy for me too. I have small gifts of consumables for her and SIL. Packed more boxes today. I keep moving to different parts of the house. It's a mess, but I do see progress. Managed to quilt another charity quilt yesterday, just need to bind it. Also sewed up a chemo cap, using the pattern MVasquez shared earlier this week. So easy and quick.

MaryUK
December 4th, 2016, 09:51 PM
We don't usually get the decs out until this coming weekend although some of the neighbours do theirs on 1st December. Just a bit of shopping left to do, will get that done on Tuesday when I go with my DD for our annual shopping trip. Did have lots of plans for handmade decorations this year but I can imagine making them over Christmas for next year!!
We will be at DD and SIL's Christmas Day so not a lot of food shopping needed this year. And just been given the week off work over Christmas yayyy so will have lots of time on my hands :)
Need to finish 2 throws for DD and a couple of Linus quilts. Not made any Christmas cards yet and a friend has asked for a couple for some friends who have recently lost their spouses so will make those my priority.

Ginny B
December 4th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Nope, no tree up yet. We get a real one and will get it up next weekend and hopefully the lights outside too. Would have gotten it done this weekend but I was a vendor at an Artisan show this weekend so dh was on his own. I do however, have my office space all decorated at work. :) Cindy, love the idea of playing Christmas music for the contractors. LOL

Cokie
December 5th, 2016, 12:59 AM
That picture scares me because it's likely on the way here! The forecast for later in the week says cold and snow. I know it's December but I'm not ready.

Glad I'm not the only one whose tree isn't up. This is probably the latest ever for us. DH has promised the last 2 weekends that we'd put it up but it hasn't happened. My shopping is all done. I have a couple of gifts to finish sewing and peanut clusters to make for my dad - annual tradition. Nothing is wrapped yet but I love wrapping gifts. Next weekend is my deadline to be done because I have quite a few things that need to be mailed.

grammaterry
December 5th, 2016, 01:24 AM
Well, the restaurant is closed for three days ...Mon, Tues, & Wed...and it Is my job to decorate it and the house. I always go walking in the woods and find a good Charlie Brown tree for the house. We have volunteer white pines and they need thinning to let the good ones grow. I usually try to pick one that isn't too high up on the mountain since I have to carry it back to the house and I'm just not as strong as I once was . Last year I picked 5 more Charlie brown trees and put them up outside of the restaurant to make it festive for passer bys but I'm really tired and just don't think I will this year.
I have to find a gift for my mother and get it mailed and then work on what in the world will I get DH. He says he doesnt' want or need anything. Yeah right! When pressed he says...socks and underwear! hum.
The children (6 and spouses) have decided we will draw names. I got a son and a son-in-law. Got them done. Made the gd's doll clothes for the American girl dolls and I'm making camo zippered bags for the GS's. Almost have those done. MIL is getting a bottle of good scotch and slippers (she fell and broke her hip 5 weeks ago...I figure the scotch will help her heal...lol) BIL is getting golf balls and sil is getting a throw and slippers that I did not make.
Its raining and I'm grateful for that. Hope the temp stays up so it doesn't go to snow. I don't really like winter.
You all take care. and bless your families and you.

toggpine
December 5th, 2016, 02:29 AM
We have our tree, but since it is living, we leave it outside until the week before and bring it in. If it is inside too long, it will shock and die when we bring it back outdoors.
While I was cleaning out the last of the garden stuff Eric and Emily put up the outside lights. We spent the rest of the day getting everything ready for the cold snap they are predicting. The faucet boobies are on the spigots, the hoses have been drained, and porches have been swept and the deck chairs put undercover.
We may not get the snow, but just in case, we are ready!

TMP
December 5th, 2016, 04:11 AM
We were going to get our decorations out of the attic today but for some reason neither of us wanted to. Tomorrow we are going to drag it down. I have way to many holiday decorations. DH has gotten better the last few years helping me decorate which means so much. I have the gifts that I need to mail but, the majority of our family will be here for Christmas and I am so behind shopping. I have two quilts completely finished one for each child. I watched a couple of Christmas movies today trying to get in the mood.