PDA

View Full Version : Need gift ideas for young teenage girls

Vonnie
December 3rd, 2016, 12:52 PM
I don't know their sizes so it can't be clothes. But, since I raised boys and not girls I have no idea what teenage girls like these days.

This is for an abuse center so I don't personally know the children or their exact ages. But I want to donate gifts for the older children since I'm sure there will be plenty of donated items for the younger ones. Price range of $20 to $25.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

shirleyknot
December 3rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
If you live in cold country, how about nice gloves with a matching scarf?

Vonnie
December 3rd, 2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks Shirley - that sounds like a great idea - maybe bright colors?

Caroline T.
December 3rd, 2016, 04:37 PM
Another idea, small manicure kit with nail polish - bright funky colors.

Iris Girl
December 3rd, 2016, 04:39 PM
How about the new *adult* coloring books and some pencils. Or maybe a teach your self to knit or crochet kit or journal set. Check the craft stores w be have lots of options at Michaels.

Hulamoon
December 3rd, 2016, 05:01 PM
Beauty stuff, like nice smelling body creams. What is that store..Body Shop? Or one of those.

CraftySweetPeas
December 4th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Maybe fill a zippy pouch with toiletries? Chap stick, a pretty Christmas pin or earrings, fun socks or pretty scarf, towel wrap (spa wrap).....

grammaterry
December 4th, 2016, 12:38 AM
I have a bunch of girls and an equal number of GD and GS of 18 GC. SOme are rich and some are poor but none are abused. However, I will relate a story that happened when my 2nd daughter was in High School. It will shed some light on children.
First, I will set the stage. ... we live in Appalacia in one of the poorest counties in the state of NC. In the 80's we were pretty isolated but television was making a headway into our mountains.
My daughter was a cheerleader and the girls on the squad had decided to draw names and several of the town girls set the limit at $25. When DD came home, I told her that was unrealistic to spend $25 on an acquaintance when our budget for 4 children was just $200 for all of the gifts. At the time, I was making our living at the flea market 50 miles from our home and someweeks things were pretty darn bleak. Well, those slouch socks were in style in bright colors and the girls wore them two socks on a foot making a pretty color combo. The guy at the flea market was selling them for $5 a dozen...so I bought an assorted dozen for the exchange gift. DD wasn't very happy but she was a dutiful daughter and wrapped them pretty and gave them to the girl.
Now, fast forward 5 years...senior in college and dd gets an email from said girl telling her it was the most memorable gift she had ever received. You see...she didn't have ANY socks and the warmth and practicality of the gift gave her what she needed. She said in the email that the other girls received smelly stuff and junk jewelry but the sock were a gift she truly needed and treasured.
Abused children are probably in close proximity to these girls. Needs are wants.
I would suggest socks, drawing paper and pens, a food basket with fruits and cheeses, a soft throw or quilt, a beautiful tote, a gift certificate to a beauty salon for a hair cut, a gift certificate for a bookstore or music store, ....you get the idea. A treasure is something that we take to our heart because someone gave us a piece of themselves.

Sylvia H
December 4th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Some very good suggestions, and I really liked grammaterry's example. I was thinking that bright and funky may not be appreciated by everyone, and that some items should be more muted. I know my daughter never liked bright and funky.

Caroline T.
December 4th, 2016, 02:12 AM
Grammaterry, thank you for sharing that heartwarming story.

Vonnie
December 4th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas!

I will go shopping early tomorrow to avoid the crowds. We need to turn in the gifts on Tuesday. We are not to wrap them so they can be inspected and then they will wrap them.

tsladaritz
December 4th, 2016, 02:16 PM
My older kids I do themes. Last years them was craft/sewing. So they got needles, pin cushion, whatever little things I found for less than $5 for stockings. Gifts I can't remember.

This year theme is travel. Everyone is getting a Sam's "look alike" yeti cup, a travel pillow (Michael's- $5) with a cover I made for it, and a gift card for Walmart (gas). I embroidered their initial on the pillow cover and put a loop so they can binder clip it on their bag or suitcase. Even the kid who does not travel much is getting this because everyone likes those yeti cups and everyone can use gas money. ;-)

tsladaritz
December 4th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I have a bunch of girls and an equal number of GD and GS of 18 GC. SOme are rich and some are poor but none are abused. However, I will relate a story that happened when my 2nd daughter was in High School. It will shed some light on children.
First, I will set the stage. ... we live in Appalacia in one of the poorest counties in the state of NC. In the 80's we were pretty isolated but television was making a headway into our mountains.
My daughter was a cheerleader and the girls on the squad had decided to draw names and several of the town girls set the limit at $25. When DD came home, I told her that was unrealistic to spend $25 on an acquaintance when our budget for 4 children was just $200 for all of the gifts. At the time, I was making our living at the flea market 50 miles from our home and someweeks things were pretty darn bleak. Well, those slouch socks were in style in bright colors and the girls wore them two socks on a foot making a pretty color combo. The guy at the flea market was selling them for $5 a dozen...so I bought an assorted dozen for the exchange gift. DD wasn't very happy but she was a dutiful daughter and wrapped them pretty and gave them to the girl.
Now, fast forward 5 years...senior in college and dd gets an email from said girl telling her it was the most memorable gift she had ever received. You see...she didn't have ANY socks and the warmth and practicality of the gift gave her what she needed. She said in the email that the other girls received smelly stuff and junk jewelry but the sock were a gift she truly needed and treasured.
Abused children are probably in close proximity to these girls. Needs are wants.
I would suggest socks, drawing paper and pens, a food basket with fruits and cheeses, a soft throw or quilt, a beautiful tote, a gift certificate to a beauty salon for a hair cut, a gift certificate for a bookstore or music store, ....you get the idea. A treasure is something that we take to our heart because someone gave us a piece of themselves.

This is so true! We had an abused/neglected/distrustful teen live with us for 2 years. So I had 4 teens in my house and needed to equalize things a bit. That year I made travel our theme because the girl had no luggage and had been using garbage bags to carry her things from house to house. I also gave her a few fun items. She looovvved getting clothes because it was a novelty to have new things that were just hers.

RockinLou
December 4th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I teach 10-12 year old girls and they can never get enough school supplies, not just the basics, but fancy notebooks, high quality markers and pencils, decorative but understated...

bhaggerty
December 4th, 2016, 06:57 PM
I often do beach towels.
Also, makeup, nail polish, lip balms and lotions.
Also, fleece blankets.