PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts: Words

Carolnnc
November 30th, 2016, 06:30 PM
I am a voracious reader and I love words. I was watching a news show yesterday and one of the participants kept using to many big words to get his point across. I started to think about my favorite words and how fun it is to say them so came up with three I use a lot:

behoove: to be necessary or advantageous

bamboozle: to confuse or frustrate

epiphany: an illuminating discovery or realization

I realized all three relate to my quilting process!

What are your words?

Angelia
November 30th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Tatterdemalion: a person dressed in ragged clothing (In my case, this word makes me think of a scrappy quilt)
Tranquil: free from agitation of mind or spirit
Serendipity: finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for

My husband invented a word the other day. I was telling him that my writing students often use overly complicated words when simple ones would be clearer. He said I need to tell them to practice “decomplexification.” :D

grammaterry
November 30th, 2016, 07:56 PM
I like both of your words. Mine lately has been conundrum .. a difficult problem or question I guess sometimes that relates to my quilting too.

tamsterg7
November 30th, 2016, 09:17 PM
I like your husbands new word, and might need to start using it! Since we are in peak season at work I'm not sure my current words can be repeated, but I find mhskelf telljng my team of youngsters to 'breath' deep then take another and then respond.

Sylvia H
November 30th, 2016, 11:26 PM
From my freshman roommate: impecunious - having little or no money

Because I love the way the word sounds: cacophony - harsh, discordant mixture of sounds

I learned the meaning of behoove from a middle school teacher who warned a student that it would behoove him to behave himself in class.

jjkaiser
November 30th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Love the word "ridiculous." It can be used so many different ways. Ridiculously expensive, for example, or a book I am reading, Jane Smiley's Some Luck trilogy, book #3, Golden Age, which has a ridiculous number of characters and is ridiculously boring compared to Book #1 & 2!!

Hulamoon
December 1st, 2016, 04:58 AM
This word doesn't get used much. balderdash-senseless talk or writing; nonsense.

Watching the news reminds me of that.:icon_heh:

amartin24
December 1st, 2016, 09:51 AM
Lately my word (that I hate!) is irregardless. The pompous guy who sits on the other side of the cube wall from me at work (thinks he's the Only Engineer in the building!) uses the word irregardless and it makes me cringe. I'd love to leave an anonymous note on his desk "You think you are so smart Mr. Engineer - Irregardless is NOT a word!" Say Regardless instead! Ok, rant over!

Bubby
December 1st, 2016, 10:17 AM
Heckfire-shoot!!...and assorted pirate talk at times. I love the words cacophony, epiphany, abysmal and devoid. Some words/ phrases unique to our family are renuvenate (a combo of renew and rejuvenate), all of we (to indicate everyone present), and nerking (meaning to crave something, ie nerking fried chicken). We pick things up, but we also pick things down...yes, we're a crazy bunch.

seaturtle
December 1st, 2016, 11:19 AM
We pick things up, but we also pick things down...yes, we're a crazy bunch.

Yes, but do you mash the lights?

Carlie Wolf
December 1st, 2016, 12:23 PM
My favorite is synchronicity - meaningful coincidences. First coined by Carl Jung (who I also love). I've seen so much of this over my life time.

Caroline T.
December 1st, 2016, 12:32 PM
My Maternal Grandmother was of German decent and one of the words we learned was "Schnibble", usually used in a sentence such as "pick up the schnibbles on the floor" (referring to the bits of thread & lint that the vacuum wouldn't pick up). I continued to use the word as an adult, intil my know-it-all husband claimed it was a made up word :( so I stopped using it for years.

I was thrilled when a few years ago I found it in the dictionary: Schnibble: noun A scrap of fabric; a leftover bit of cloth; a small piece. The word has a German origin and is found primarily in German settlements ...

And now that I'm quilting, it has found a place back into my vocabulary!

wildernessquilter
December 1st, 2016, 02:19 PM
I love all the words given. The one I use too often is "sixty-eleven" - meaning lots of something but no specific amount.

Sue

Angelia
December 1st, 2016, 11:59 PM
Yes, but do you mash the lights?

Push buttons, press buttons, mash buttons, punch buttons...these have always made me laugh!

SallyO'Sews
December 3rd, 2016, 10:50 PM
Defenestration - something I try not to practice, no matter how frustrated I become!
(from the Latin word "fenestra", window; the word means throwing something - or someone! - out of the window!