PDA

View Full Version : HELP please with a sewing problem

Monique
November 30th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I have a pattern for a dress for Maizyn, and the pattern is missing the front bodice. (I bought it used)

My question is:

Can I just trace over the back bodice, place it on the fold line, but make the adjustment for the neckline? It is a one piece front bodice with a lining.

Thank you in advance.

Caroline T.
November 30th, 2016, 02:08 PM
On young girl patterns, often times the back bodice piece is wider than the front (unlike patterns for women with bosoms) so you may need to trim the sides of the front piece as well.

I remember as a child my mother making dresses for us girls, 3 different sizes, one pattern. after she made the largest dress, then she would pin the pattern onto the next girl to adjust the size. Then repeat with me - I was the baby :)

I would suggest doing the same for Maizyn's dress pattern, trace the back for the front piece, and carefully pin them on her (not to her:icon_heh:) and make necessary adjustments.

Do you by chance have the pattern name? I did find a website with lots of freebie patterns, maybe it's there (or a similar one).

http://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing-how-to/free-patterns-and-projects/clothing/girls-dress-patterns.html

bakermom
November 30th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I would agree with Caroline. I have done similar things but it is easier if you have something to compare to- a similar dress or pattern. Maybe you could post a picture of the dress pattern someone here could compare it to a pattern they have on hand. I have some heirloom dress patterns where you trace off desired size. Maybe I could compare for you

Monique
November 30th, 2016, 02:21 PM
137528 This is the pattern

bakermom
November 30th, 2016, 02:30 PM
OK what size are you making?

mischiefkat
November 30th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Monique,
Maybe someone has this pattern and could trace off the correct size bodice piece for you, and send it to you. I know I don't have this pattern as most of my patterns are boys. It is an adorable dress. I'm sure your GD will look lovely in it. Kathy

Monique
November 30th, 2016, 03:03 PM
OK what size are you making?

I was going to make a 6/7 size.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 30th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I do have a pattern that size and same general style. The front and the back bodice pieces are the same width, but the armhole is cut deeper in the back ( by about 1/4"). I doubt if she would notice the difference if you cut them the same.

Monique
November 30th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Thanks Jean.

bubba
November 30th, 2016, 05:44 PM
I was going to say the front armhole is different than the back and in that size dress, you can easily adjust the bodice size by taking her measurements. Maybe you can just copy the sleeve hole of something she already wears?

Iris Girl
November 30th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Everyone beat me to it. But yes same as others have said. front armholes are cut a little different as Jean's pic shows. You can easily adjust or even use another top she has to get it correct. Don't forget to adjust the armhole. At that size the front and back are probably very close in width.

Monique
December 1st, 2016, 08:23 AM
Thank you everyone, my dilemma has been solved. I appreciate everyone's help.

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
December 1st, 2016, 10:21 AM
Most pattern pieces are interchangeable so that if you have another dress or blouse pattern you could use the bodice from it for your dress. If you have sleeves you might need to make a adjustment on the pattern piece so that the bodice fits proper.

Or go to a thrift shop and find a pattern similar to your and the size you need and use that bodice.

Good luck