PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Tennessee forum members, please check in!

SallyO'Sews
November 29th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Please let us know how you are faring, and how we can help and/or pray!
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/us/gatlinburg-fires/index.html

Navy Wife
November 29th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Navy Wife reporting! I'm fine. We're about 30 miles from Gatlinburg, so in no danger. The devastation is heart breaking. Our news station has been on the air since 9 or so last night.

The only thing you can do is contribute to the Red Cross and/or pray for this area. The fires are not out yet.

mischiefkat
November 29th, 2016, 03:55 PM
My niece and her family evacuated Sieverville last night and are currently staying in a motel an hour out of G Burg. They left without anything, but what they could carry. No idea about their house or neighbors. Prayers for all who live there. Kathy

geegeequilts
November 29th, 2016, 04:23 PM
OMG! DH called me with this news this morning. Pigeon Forge is our most favorite place to vacation. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Smoky Mountains!! I am praying for everyone & truly hope the fires are put out soon. I feel so helpless & am wishing I could help some way. My heart goes out to you who live there.

Gina

Navy Wife
November 29th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are mostly OK. A few brush fires on the edge of town in Pigeon Forge. They have lifted the evacuation orders for Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. Gatlinburg is the worst hit. Lots of homes burned to the ground, especially the chalets up on the mountainsides. However, the downtown area and the Glades arts and crafts community are mostly untouched. You may be able to get pictures on Facebook, or on our local TV stations. They are WBIR, WVLT,WATE. I like WBIR best. All are Knoxville stations.

Patsquilting
November 29th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Hi: we are about 50 miles northeast of Gatlinburg. Fortunately, we are fine here. No smoke coming up this way this time. Last week, very heavy smoke - My heart goes out to all the people there who have lost their homes, etc. Yes, prayers going out to them

Carlie Wolf
November 29th, 2016, 11:41 PM
I'm wondering how tnmtgrl is doing. She hasn't posted in a while and I'm not sure in what part of Tn she lives.

Navy Wife
November 30th, 2016, 12:47 AM
tnmtgrl lives near I 40 on the other side of the Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg area. I haven't heard anything about that area, so I'm thinking she's OK.

Carol336
November 30th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Hope everyone is safe.....sending prayers to all our M* friends and family

grammaterry
November 30th, 2016, 01:19 AM
Tnmtngrl Is in Newport on the NC, TN border. She is about 30 miles from me.. The smoke is bad but last nights rain settled that so the air is better. Suppose to rain tomorrow too. That will be good. Fires are all around us here in NC and TN also SC and GA. We are just hoping for enough rain to keep the fires from spreading everywhere. I personally live on 40 acres surrounded by 55,000 acres of National forest. We aren't even using our woodstove which is our heat source for fear of a spark going out the flue. We have lots of quilts to keep warm.
Not much we can do but pray and use common sense.

SallyO'Sews
November 30th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Praying for all of you, dear ones.

mischiefkat
November 30th, 2016, 07:09 PM
My niece has lost everything in the Tn fire,house,business info, business inventory,and 2 vehicles. Says the house looks like a bomb hit it,still smoldering. Such a sad day for her and others who are affected. Kathy

toggpine
November 30th, 2016, 07:57 PM
My niece has lost everything in the Tn fire,house,business info, business inventory,and 2 vehicles. Says the house looks like a bomb hit it,still smoldering. Such a sad day for her and others who are affected. Kathy

Very sad to hear this. We have been told, during our disaster prep class, to back up all of our data and make sure we send it to a friend or family member in a different region. I can see where the "Cloud" would be another logical storage source for that kind of info. A flash drive or even a CD doesn't take up a lot of space for that person to store.
I hope they are safe, and will be able to salvage at least some of their business.

Judy, USMC
December 1st, 2016, 04:59 AM

Heartbreaking news. I sincerely hope they will be able to recover. So many have lost so much. And I just heard about another weather event in Tennessee - looked like a tornado. Nothing I can do other than a donation ... feeling helpless and sad.

TMP
December 1st, 2016, 05:27 AM
We were in Hendersonville, NC for a funeral last week and even that far away the air looked like fog and you could smell the smoke. It so heartbreaking the loss of life and all the destruction. Do they know how these fires started ? I haven't really kept up with the news and wonder if its from arson or just the lack of rain.

Navy Wife
December 2nd, 2016, 10:16 AM
The fires around Gatlinburg are human caused. That could mean accidental or arson. There has been a burning ban in place for several weeks, so I can't imagine anyone lighting a fire. There is a Federal team investigating. The fire started in the Chimneys area of the National Park and was spread by hurricane force winds that night. They have called it a fire storm, so I can imagine it was awful. 17,000 acres burned.

mischiefkat
December 2nd, 2016, 12:33 PM
I think they may have arrested someone. My niece and her family live way up the mountain. As nephew was driving down the mountain little fires were popping up along both sides of the road. When they got to the bottom of the mountain and looked back the trees were engulfed in fire. Many of the houses on their mountain are gone, including theirs. The log cabin next to them and the car that was parked in the drive are intact. There 2 neighbors unaccounted for yet. Sad Sad situation. Prayers for all affected. Kathy

JCY
December 2nd, 2016, 06:03 PM
My niece, who lives in Kodak, called today to update the situation from her perspective. She has volunteered for 3 days at the animal barn at the fairgrounds. Such heartbreaking stories from people who have lost everything except the clothes on their back & maybe a treasured pet. Maybe you saw on the news yest. that Dolly Parton has pledged $1,000./mo. to families who have lost everything. There will be fund raisers from country singers & other famous people. The community & corporations are coming together to bring donations of clothes, food, water, pet supplies, etc. People in the community are offering their unused RVs, etc. to the displaced homeless. There still are folks in the shelter. The Red Cross is helping to find housing for people. The fire came dangerously close to Dollywood, but it was spared. Some family members still are missing. Their remains may not be found. The communities are feeling the love & prayers sent their way. We need to keep them in our prayers.

pcbatiks
December 2nd, 2016, 08:41 PM

Will be praying for your niece and other families in those areas.........so very sad for them.

dwil23
December 2nd, 2016, 09:07 PM

So so sorry to hear this. Will be praying for her and her family as well as the others affected by this tragedy. On a better note, I got an email from my friend that lives in Sevierville and she is fine - her area has not been affected, at least not yet. I think the rain is helping, but know that more is needed, and pray that it will come soon.

Monique
December 2nd, 2016, 09:19 PM
Prayers that the fires will soon be extinguished for good.

Navy Wife
December 2nd, 2016, 11:47 PM
There may be more storms Sunday or Monday. The fire in the National Park is not out, so it could happen again. We are desperate for rain. Maryville, where I live, got nearly 5 inches, but the Gatlinburg area got slightly more than an inch. We are so dry. They let home and business owners into part of the burned area today, to check their houses. Tomorrow the whole area will be open to residents. Some of the stories are heartbreaking. 13 confirmed dead, 80 injured. There are still many missing, and may never be found. There was a tornado south of us the same night. It has taken a back seat to the fire, but there have been so many supplies contributed to the fire victims that they are being shared.

Two things are bright spots. The downtown business area is almost untouched, so the people can get back to work in a few days before the Christmas season. We were lucky that this did not happen during Thanksgiving week or Christmas week. There would have been many more people around at those times, and more fatalities and injuries. East Tennessee is filled with strong people of faith, and we will get through this.