PDA

View Full Version : Anyone With Hearing Aid Info?

pcbatiks
November 28th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone, My MIL spent the weekend with us. We have noticed that her hearing is not what it used to be for a while. But it seems to be worse know. We were planning to check on resources that would help her financially to get hearing aids. I found a list of some resources on line last night.......but was wondering if anyone hear had first hand knowledge of do's or don'ts, or any other helpful info in dealing with her getting hearing aids with a limited income.

Thanks.

JCY
November 28th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I would do a product search on the web, read reviews, etc. Talk to your friends to learn who had positive or neg. experiences with certain dealers. I had 2 friends who bought hearing aids. Both were pleased with the product & service. One bought hers as Costco; the other at Sam's. Very few ins. plans cover hearing aids, so I think you're looking at out-of-pocket expense.

doloresbeger
November 28th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone, My MIL spent the weekend with us. We have noticed that her hearing is not what it used to be for a while. But it seems to be worse know. We were planning to check on resources that would help her financially to get hearing aids. I found a list of some resources on line last night.......but was wondering if anyone hear had first hand knowledge of do's or don'ts, or any other helpful info in dealing with her getting hearing aids with a limited income.

Thanks.

My husband needed hearing aids and he had had some from Sears at one time. Worst things we ever bought. We went to an hearing audiologist at aur ear nose and throat doctor. Bought them there. We get free lifetime batteries and they are wonderful to deal with. The hearing aids are guaranteed for 3 years. Lots better service than we had before. Check with someone like that as there are a lot of unscrupulous hearing aid places out there. Just my honest opinion.

kimsophia
November 28th, 2016, 06:56 PM
This is in the AARP consumer guide for hearing aids. https://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/articles/health/docs/hearing_guide.pdf

How much do they cost?
Manufacturers don’t set retail prices (hearing
care professionals do) so you may find the same
hearing aid costs $300 less just across town.
However, it’s important to know how hearing
aids are priced so you will know what to compare
and what you will get for your money.
Quality service and product selection may
be even more important than
bottom-line price. An office with a broad
range of products from more than one manufacturer
has more options in recommending
the most appropriate aid for your needs.
You need to compare prices and services
among hearing care professionals. Find out
exactly what’s included in a quoted price.
Hearing care professionals generally quote
one price for the whole package of services.
Ask them to break out the separate charges
for testing and evaluation, fitting, and followup
care, as well as the aid. Keep in mind that
you won’t know the full cost of a particular
aid until you have had your hearing tested.
To make a fair cost comparison, you will need
to know the full specifications of the recommended
hearing aid model.
If you are going to get a second opinion,
insist on getting a copy of your audiogram.
You should be able to get a second opinion
based on the initial audiogram. If the second
dispenser wants to retest you, you shouldn’t
have to pay for testing more than once.
The second dispenser may recommend a
different model or offer you a different price.
If the second dispenser recommends a different
model, ask what the differences are.
It may be that the dispenser doesn’t stock a
particular brand.
In pricing hearing aids, also watch for
excessive, nonrefundable fees, such as a high
“restocking” fee if your first aid doesn’t work
out and you need a different style. Ask if you
will have to pay any fees if you return the aid
within the trial period. Find out how many
return visits for adjustments or cleaning you
will get.
Be skeptical of “free” hearing tests. The
cost of a “free” test may show up in the price
of the hearing aid or in the difficulty you will
have in getting a copy of your test results.
Be sure you find out in advance how much
“free” testing will cost if you do not buy an
aid and only want a copy of your audiogram.
Make sure that no hidden strings come with
any “free” test, such as being free only if you
buy a hearing aid that same day. As with any
consumer purchase, also be wary of any “sale”
price. It could be the price the dispenser normally
charges for that hearing aid.

Carolnnc
November 28th, 2016, 08:53 PM
MIL went to one of the hearing test centers and paid quite a bit for hearing aids. She kept taking them in and out and complaining they didn't work correctly. When she went back in to get them adjusted she had to pay each time. They never worked correctly and then she broke them. Told me the other day it would cost $300 to get them fixed. I could not get her to go to the ear, nose and throat doctor we use because insurance wouldn't pay.
Took DH into the ear, nose and throat doc about a year ago because his hearing seemed to be getting worse. She told him that hearing aids would not do him any good because his problem was hereditary. If we had gone to a hearing center he'd probably been sold hearing aids that would not have helped him at all.

Kgrammiecaz
November 28th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I have hearing aids but they were expensive. However they work great. My insurance paid $1000 and I had to pay $3000. For me they were worth every penny. I have only been back for two visits in almost 2 years. I wish I could have found them cheaper but I did not want to keep buying cheap ones that would break. So, I am not much help except to say, do be careful what you purchase.

pcbatiks
November 28th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks forum friends. I had not looked on AARP yet....so Kim thanks for that too.

You'll have been very helpful and I appreciate it. :)

Looks like we have plenty of research to do.

toggpine
November 29th, 2016, 02:05 AM
You might also check with the financial aid department of the major medical center in your area.
It may only be for the children, but we get a percentage of Emily's covered beyond what our insurance pays. Ours is MultiCare, and they have a FA department. It is a sliding scale dependent on your income. I have seen adults in there filing reports for other medical issues, not related to children.

sherriequilts
November 29th, 2016, 04:52 AM
My husband is deaf from birth. Without hearing aids he has 4% in one ear and and 6% in the other. He's 55 years old ... we have never found any financial aid or insurance for aids. We just bought him new aids to the tune of $6000.00. They should last 5 years. What I can tell you is definitely go to an audiologist... not one of those hearing places in a strip mall. An audiologist will give a true hearing test ... not a 5 minute test .. an audiologist will understand the hearing loss in both ears and will be able to fine tune the correct aids and be able to make adjustments on those aids. They should offer cleanings and minor repair at no or little cost. IF your MIL has to have surgery or enter a skilled care facility ... document with pictures and receipts those aids. There are several manufacturers of aids.. each of them has pros and cons .. and a qualified audiologist should be able to help you pick the best ones for the type of hearing loss. And not only should they offer a hearing test but she should also be checked by a ENT .. ear, nose, throat doctor ... she could have massive wax in her ears or an undiagnosed chronic sinus infection... or a deformed bone structure in the ear canal. Probably the biggest obstacle you'll have is getting her to admit she needs to see a "hearing doctor". None of us wants to ever admit we're missing a step or actually getting older ... but perhaps pointing out, gently, you don't want to miss out on your grandkids stories may help .. good wishes your way and hugs ..
Sherrie

pcbatiks
November 29th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info Sherrie, my MIL is one of the few people I know that will actually admit she is hard of hearing. My DH brought up the subject of hearing aids to her over the weekend.......just to make sure she was receptive to the idea. She didn't fuss or complain or deny she was hard of hearing. In fact, she told us the first day she was with us....."okay, you two are going to have to speak up...I can't hear and you'll talk to low." I don't think she realizes how much she can't hear since it's worse now.

Thanks to all for the info.

Snip Snip
November 29th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I second the advice to get the ears checked to see if there is wax build-up. My DH has to have his ears professionally cleaned a couple times a year. He can hear better for a while, anyway, after cleaning.

cashs_mom
November 30th, 2016, 12:11 AM
I've worn hearing aids for about 15 years now. I had early deafness (my father had the same). I've always used an audiologist and have had very good luck with my aids. I buy the best ones and wear them all the time. Usually 16 or 17 hours a day. It's better to wear them all the time rather than only part of the time. It takes you ears time to get used to how to hear with them so it's important to keep wearing them especially at first.

The pair I have now I bought thru Tru Hearing. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance and they have an agreement with Tru Hearing to provide high quality hearing aids at a reduced price. The ones I have now were over $5,000 retail but I only paid $2,600. It was a good deal and I am very happy with them. I would definitely see if your insurance has any assistance.

You might also contact an audiologist in your area. I seem to remember some literature in my audiologist's office when I was picking up more batteries about financial assistance with hearing aids.

snippet
November 30th, 2016, 03:11 AM
You might want to check with United Way if you haven't already. They can put you in touch with organizations that provide hearing aids or diagnostics at reduced rates.

Here's the United Way for SW Louisiana: http://www.unitedwayswla.org/

and here is a nationwide hearing foundation that provides help: https://www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org/