PDA

View Full Version : I passed the test!

SallyO'Sews
November 25th, 2016, 10:10 PM
My 35-yr-old DD needs some new clothes. She never will spend a dime on herself, mostly because even though she works two jobs, she never has a dime to spare. She's also a size 2, so she can't find things that fit at Target or other "discount" places because they don't go smaller than a 4. Typically she shops at consignment shops, but she can't always find things that fit and are not overly matronly. So her sisters (aka the fashion police) and I determined that for Christmas I would get her a gift card from a shop at the mall that she likes, but is usually out of her price range. Then her 20-year-old sister would accompany her to said store to help her pick out something cute.

So I go to said store today, and they're having a really good Black Friday sale... I decided to pick out an outfit instead of getting the gift card, because I could always return it and get the gift card if it didn't pass muster with the fashion police. Got a cream top and a pretty skirt with a border print, and spent exactly 45 cents more than what I wanted to spend on a gift card. :icon_woohoo:

Welp, my other two daughters just came by my house, and I showed them what I bought.... and they LOVED it!! :icon_bump:

Feeling way more proud of myself than I have any right, but it's still pretty sweet to please the fashionistas! :D

How was your Black Friday?

Kgrammiecaz
November 25th, 2016, 10:32 PM
I know how awesome you feel. My kids never like what I pick so I never buy them clothes. Good job mom

jjkaiser
November 25th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Alright Mom! It is not easy finding clothes that fit and they like. I have three grown daughters and haven't been able to score like that since they were about 15!!! Maybe I should send their sizes to you and you can do my shopping?!

KarenC
November 25th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Score for you! I quit shopping for my daughter by age 5! I would shop at lunch time, and spend my lunch time the next day returning. Finally gave up. Now I'll only buy clothes for her if she is with me. So glad you were able to find something.

tamsterg7
November 25th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Way to go Mamma! You are much braver than I am - my daughter and I have completely opposite taste, I would have chickened out and done the gift card!

seaturtle
November 25th, 2016, 11:49 PM
You did great - I would definitely gone the gift card route.

SallyO'Sews
November 26th, 2016, 12:26 AM
Alright Mom! It is not easy finding clothes that fit and they like. I have three grown daughters and haven't been able to score like that since they were about 15!!! Maybe I should send their sizes to you and you can do my shopping?!

LOL... How 'bout you send my girls your daughters' sizes? They're pretty good! :lol:

songbird857
November 26th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Sally - kudos to you!! Well done ;)
My 21yo DD is also tiny - Double zero petite tiny... I agree with you on regular retail - can NEVER find anything to fit. I brought her to Ann Taylor last week, looking for a dress - the 00 petite was too big... what??? Vanity sizing for sure.
Your daughter may be interested in an online 'thrift/consignment' store called Thred Up. They sell higher end, used items, at deep discounts. My daughter has had a lot of success building her wardrobe (and they will pay or give store credit for gently used items - win-win). Seriously, my daughter gets so many compliments on her wardrobe, and it's 90% from this place. Another online retailer with nice clothes is ASOS. They originated in the UK, so I think their sizing is more true to fit.

Bubby
November 26th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Wow, that's almost a miracle!

grammaterry
November 27th, 2016, 12:31 AM
A few years back when I first opened the restaurant I forgot to eat and lost 30 lbs in 3 weeks. (I've gained it all back now!) but I went down to a size 2 or less. I sympathize with finding clothing reasonable in that size that isn't gaged to a 14 yr old. I found that stores like Dillards would let me try on clothing and then go on their computer and find one of their stores that had the smaller size in stock and bring it in for me at the sale prices. Now, if I could just forget to eat again (lol)