PDA

View Full Version : How do I know its Spam

grammaterry
November 25th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I keep reading about these spam posts but I might be dense or something. How do I know? Do I need to make sure that I recognize the posters name? I have to admit, I haven't noticed any...so will you point it out to me or tell me what I should be looking for?

Vonnie
November 25th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I would think that if it is a "new" member and all they do is post a link then that would be suspicious to me.

If in doubt - don't click.

Pandabear
November 25th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Th spam we've been getting lately is football related. The only thing in the body of the post is a link to clink. Do Not Click It!

Also, they are all new posters so it is their only post.

For me, using my PC I can hover over the title of the thread and it gives me a few lines of the body of the post. If it's just a link I move on.

Basically, don't click links if you don't know the person.

shirleyknot
November 25th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Yes, ^^^^ THAT. It can't "get" you if you don't click it.

Hulamoon
November 25th, 2016, 12:18 PM
If a poster is giving a link with no explanation it's spam. You can click on the thread, just not the link.

Carlie Wolf
November 25th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Th spam we've been getting lately is football related. The only thing in the body of the post is a link to clink. Do Not Click It!

Also, they are all new posters so it is their only post.

For me, using my PC I can hover over the title of the thread and it gives me a few lines of the body of the post. If it's just a link I move on.

Basically, don't click links if you don't know the person.

That's what I've started doing too. Work well

Carol336
November 25th, 2016, 01:23 PM
You can click on the thread, just not the link.

Thanks Lorie - that's exactly what I was trying to find out.

MayinJerset
November 25th, 2016, 03:51 PM
If the only thing in the body of the post is a link to clink. Do Not Click It! Even when it is from someone you know. Best bet is to email the person to ask if they sent you a link.

Judy, USMC
November 25th, 2016, 04:11 PM

That's what I do - and if you hover over the thread title and see something that says "live streaming" it's spam. Most of the ones I've found are links to sites streaming a sports game. Agree that there's no harm clicking on the thread ... just don't click the link!

Snip Snip
November 25th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I haven't even seen any. Maybe they are being removed by admin. before I get to them. Not that I want to see them,

snippet
November 25th, 2016, 11:59 PM
I haven't even seen any. Maybe they are being removed by admin. before I get to them. Not that I want to see them,
Most of the time you won't see the spam. The mods do a really good job of cleaning out the spam.

grammaterry
November 27th, 2016, 12:40 AM
Thanks you all. I do hover and rarely click on a link eventhough I sometimes think I'd like to see what you're talking about.