PDA

View Full Version : Monday and it's a winter wonderland out there

Monique
November 21st, 2016, 08:32 AM
Good morning. YES, we got a dumping of snow yesterday and through the night. Enough that we will have to shovel our way out this morning, or at least Les will. But I will have to go dig out the shovels first.

We ventured out yesterday before the really bad weather came and went to an auction sale. There were a couple of items that I would have been interested in but alas, they weren't worth the price that people paid for them. One was a wicker sewing basket on legs, looked to be in good shape, too much. There was also a nice sewing cabinet with two drawers that also sat on legs, went for $80. A 1936 Singer machine in cabinet went for $30 but I didn't NEED nor WANT another machine, so that person got a good deal. Les ended up buying a Birks silver plated fish knives set with mother of pearl handles. We bid on a brooch $20 but it was not accepted (there was a reserve on it). They wanted $85, so thankfully Les passed. Unbelievable, a dining room table and chairs went for $50 but a box of 6 teacups sold for $130. I am just amazed at what people will pay for stuff.

Saturday was a very productive day. I made a set of 4 placemats, and two table runners, one of which will be completed today. I will post pictures later.

So with this snow, today is snow/sew day for me. I am not venturing out for anything today. Hubby has to work though, so I get the whole day to myself.

Have a great day everyone. Stay safe!

Iris Girl
November 21st, 2016, 09:13 AM
Morning all. Monique I also find it interesting what people will pay for things and what they spend money on. Working in a craft store the most common thing I hear is I shouldn't have spent so much I still have to go food shopping. LOL For me its food first and IF there is anything left maybe decorations and crafts.
We also got a dusting of snow, enough to make things white but not really stick on the roads. I have to longish days of work for me then pie day , turkey day and then its black friday and saturday and they are to long days.
But I am a happy girl as I had found the perfect fabrics in my stash to make a winter purse, but did not have enough of the lining. I looked everywhere all the normal places I shop for fabric online and in store even Ebay and Etsy. I came up blnak and had settled on something that was ok but not wonderful. Then I woke up this morning and checked the forum and someone had found my fabric on Ebay only 2 yards left I snapped it up fast! Thank you CraftySweetPeas!!!
Have a wonderful day all! Hugs!

Monique
November 21st, 2016, 09:15 AM
Morning all. Monique I also find it interesting what people will pay for things and what they spend money on. Working in a craft store the most common thing I hear is I shouldn't have spent so much I still have to go food shopping. LOL For me its food first and IF there is anything left maybe decorations and crafts.
We also got a dusting of snow, enough to make things white but not really stick on the roads. I have to longish days of work for me then pie day , turkey day and then its black friday and saturday and they are to long days.
But I am a happy girl as I had found the perfect fabrics in my stash to make a winter purse, but did not have enough of the lining. I looked everywhere all the normal places I shop for fabric online and in store even Ebay and Etsy. I came up blnak and had settled on something that was ok but not wonderful. Then I woke up this morning and checked the forum and someone had found my fabric on Ebay only 2 yards left I snapped it up fast! Thank you CraftySweetPeas!!!
Have a wonderful day all! Hugs!

We have such wonderful people here.

Lyndaj
November 21st, 2016, 09:52 AM
Yes, winter has definitely arrived and quickly. We had some snow yesterday but not enough to stay on the ground.

As for the discussion of what people will pay for things, I have been selling my cross stich stash on Ebay recently and I got an email from one of my buyers from Quebec last week. In the email she asked if I would bundle three of the kits that didn't sell and she would pay me with an email money transfer to avoid PayPal fees. Sounded great, but when I offered a reasonable amount for the 3 kits, she suddenly said that was too much money and she has 15 month old twins. Shouldn't she be dealing with her kids and not buying cross stich kits?

I am making progress on the tardis quilt. Now, however, I find out my friend wants a quilt for Christmas and I'm not wanting to do it. I made her a Christmas table runner a few years ago that I never see when I go over there. I also don't want to be pushed for time as I was planning on making a second tardis quilt for DH. Don't know what to do. Sigh.

Have a great day everyone.

Monique
November 21st, 2016, 10:05 AM
Yes, winter has definitely arrived and quickly. We had some snow yesterday but not enough to stay on the ground.

As for the discussion of what people will pay for things, I have been selling my cross stich stash on Ebay recently and I got an email from one of my buyers from Quebec last week. In the email she asked if I would bundle three of the kits that didn't sell and she would pay me with an email money transfer to avoid PayPal fees. Sounded great, but when I offered a reasonable amount for the 3 kits, she suddenly said that was too much money and she has 15 month old twins. Shouldn't she be dealing with her kids and not buying cross stich kits?

I am making progress on the tardis quilt. Now, however, I find out my friend wants a quilt for Christmas and I'm not wanting to do it. I made her a Christmas table runner a few years ago that I never see when I go over there. I also don't want to be pushed for time as I was planning on making a second tardis quilt for DH. Don't know what to do. Sigh.

Have a great day everyone.

Your buyer wants it for free? Don't sweat it, if she really wants it she will pay.

Just tell your friend that you don't have time to make it for this Christmas, end of story. If she can wait until next year, that would be great.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
November 21st, 2016, 10:11 AM
Good morning everyone at the forum, Monique says they already have snow, I know that is normal in their country and although they are used to sometimes it will be very annoying, I would like to have a few days of snow to see it from the window and not leaving home but in my country it hardly snows in the high mountains and only in January and February and only a few weeks, today we have a sunny day although it is windy, but you can walk calmly, I hope your time improves so that the roads are safe because you have to keep working, Wishing everyone is well and have a good day greetings

pcbatiks
November 21st, 2016, 11:02 AM
Good morning, forum friends.

It's cold here.....or at least too cold for us. We had to turn the heat on Saturday morning. :D I know...I know....we are cold weather wimps. But who knows we could have the a/c on again by this afternoon.

I did some sewing on the back of my nieces quilt over the weekend and some big stitch quilting on another project. I'm enjoying the big stitching. Now I will need to branch out into other colors of thread besides white. :D

Today I'm off to help sort books then by groceries before the stores get crammed full of people shopping for Thanksgiving. We're having the traditional meal at SIL's house Thursday and fried shrimp at my parents Friday or Saturday.

Hope you all have a fun day.

RiverMomm
November 21st, 2016, 11:25 AM
Snow, snow plows, and hot coffee-that's been my morning so far.

We were supposed to get a window replaced today but for some reason, they don't want to do it in the blowing snow (and it's really blowing!)

Stay warm and sew on!

Navy Wife
November 21st, 2016, 11:43 AM
I wish for snow or rain or something wet. We have so many fires around that my eyes are burning. A cold front came through Saturday and gave us a couple of clear days. But today it is bad again. Pray for rain for us.

Other than staying quiet and inside, I've done nothing productive. I had started to quilt an elephant wall hanging, but didn't like the way it looked. So I spent most of a day ripping out the quilting and changing the batting. Now to get it quilted. I hope to get that done today.

Hope you all have a great day. Stay warm and dry, and please stay out of trouble!

seaturtle
November 21st, 2016, 12:12 PM
Morning all,

It would be wonderful to have some snow or rain. We also got the cold front on Saturday, but it is so dry. Smoke from the fires has been better around here, but they say the fires won't really be contained until it rains. The entire SE could really use a good storm.

So excited that the flooring contractors had a cancellation and can fit us in this week. So one level of the house will be done this week. My DD and her family are headed up to the northern relatives for Thanksgiving and not sure if my older DS can make it in, so this will be a small dinner at our house for just the 3 of us. The way this remodel has gone, it's all worked out for the best.

Hoping to catch up with Jean Sewing Machine and Lynn Leavall on Saturday for lunch. It will be great to see Jean again and to meet Lynn. So thankful for forum friends!

Navy Mom, are you close to Gaitlinburg? I love to come up for the Art Festival in the fall. Maybe we could get together some time.

Need to head to the grocery store and finish prep for the floors. Have a great day, everyone!

Carlie Wolf
November 21st, 2016, 12:33 PM
We got snow yesterday morning. So far it's still sticking today although I'm still hoping the temp goes up and I don't have to push it off my car windows. After that huge storm last year I'm still not ready for snow! It was a tad windy yesterday too and I realized I had not dropped down my storm windows yet to cut the drafts in the house during the winter. I hate doing that on cold days. So now I have to wait for a few days till the temp goes up again. That should be around Wednesday or Thursday.

JCY
November 21st, 2016, 12:50 PM
Lyndaj ~ Just say "No!" - Just because someone would like something doesn't mean we have to bend over backwards to meet a deadline. Is this person willing to pay for the project? Non-quilters just don't realize how much work these projects take. Don't stress yourself out, esp. this close to the holidays. If she still wants the item, she'll be willing to wait & will be willing to pay a reasonable price for it.

Snow: None here. We had that 2.5" last week, which all has melted away. Yest. it was up to 68 deg. But today it's cloudy & a chance of rain/snow over the next 24 hrs. I think most of the snow will be in the mts., which will be great for the skiers.

I'm making progress on my Broken Orange Peel quilt. I have all 20 blocks made, as well as 4 extras which will be my practice sandwich. I still have to buy the sashing & border fabric & cut corner stones. It's coming along. I really want to do some ruler work when I get around to quilting this one. I signed up for Amy Johnson's Craftsy class (on sale) on quilting with rulers on a sit-down machine (either LA or DSM). I watched the first 4 lessons yest. I'm shopping for the right rulers & will need to do a lot of practice before I do that project. I want to expand my skills. I've been browsing a few more FMQ books on Amazon. I want to get Angela Walters' latest book. I already have her other two.

Well, the second load of laundry is in. It's time for some breakfast. Have a great quilting day!

MayinJerset
November 21st, 2016, 02:22 PM
No snow here but it's cold. Thought we would have a nice Fall day for Thanksgiving but now not too sure about it. We'll be winging our way up to our DGD Catherine's in NW Jersey, some guests are coming from PA and DL and hope the roads are clear for all of us.

Going to pick up my "free" frozen turkey breast this afternoon, will put it into our fridge to defrost and it should be all set to go into the oven Thanksgiving morning. DGD and her DH will be making the big turkey and I'm bringing the cooked breast so there's enough white meat for the 20 or so guests.

Granny Judy
November 21st, 2016, 02:46 PM
Awww. all this talk about food-- making me hungry. It has turned off cold here in Central Illinois. Frost is on the Pumpkin!! It takes this ol body a bit to get use to these colder temps.. all I want to do is hibernate when we get below 50F.

We are heading out to the "other" mil for Turkey day.. I think we are taking most of the food and She is providing the deserts, drinks and rolls. We decided to do the catered meal this year. I love you, Bob Evans.

Jcy, Can't wait to see some of your Ruler work... sounds a bit challenging to me. I'm still practicing my FMQ..

MaryUK
November 21st, 2016, 04:21 PM
It's cold and very windy here today. Hasn't stopped raining for a few days so now we've got localised flooding. It was my day off today so stayed at home apart from a quick trip to the supermarket.
Had a busy day though, as FIL house sale is going through so have been on the phone to the solicitors (lawyers?) who are handling the sale. Also waded through the list of people to tell of FIL's new address (he's in residential care). Still lots to do but fed up now so will brave the storm later to attend Bible study.
Hope you all stay safe and have a good day!!

Lyndaj
November 21st, 2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks JCY and Monique, I have taken both of your advice and decided not to make a quilt as a Christmas gift for my friend. I just don't have enough time and I have stressed myself out enough this year with making 5 quilts for friends and giving myself short deadlines.

My friend's b-day is February 28 (really February 29, but it's not a leap year). Problem is finding something suitable for her as she is a sci-fi fantasy/video game geek. Will figure something out. Thanks again.